advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New router in the Haus
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: February 23, 2014 08:59PM
I've been thinking about upgrading my old Linksys router for a while now. It was a non-wireless model, with four 10/100 ports; I can't remember if it is the original one I that I bought when we got broadband here, or a replacement: I think it is a replacement, but whichever is the case, it's been plugging away for years. The Other Human acquired a Netgear wireless router about 4 years ago and set it up as an access point. That one has been a bit flaky lately, so I decided to make a run to B&H and get a wireless router with gigabit ports. Based on all the love for Asus here, I got the dual band RT-AC56U. The instructions in the Quick Start Guide could have been a bit clearer: it failed to mention the default user name/password. I assumed that the user name was blank, and that the password was admin, which didn't work. Luckily, there is a PDF that included the correct info: admin/admin. I would have tried that eventually.

I haven't delved into any of the settings beyond the basic stuff. I don't know much about networking except the very basic things.

The new gizmo does seem to have added a bit of zip to our connections, though.

I have some questions, such as whether I should set up the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz security settings differently. Any suggestions appreciated.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New router in the Haus
Posted by: Bixby
Date: February 23, 2014 09:05PM
Make sure it's got the latest firmware: [thehackernews.com]
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 23, 2014 09:12PM
>>I have some questions, such as whether I should set up the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz security settings differently. Any suggestions appreciated.

don't sweat it.

about the only important change to make is to change the default password. everything else is done as you need it.

Date: February 23, 2014 09:42PM
During setup it reported that there was firmware available and installed it. The default password was changed first thing.
Date: February 23, 2014 10:00PM
ka jowct
During setup it reported that there was firmware available and installed it. The default password was changed first thing.

next step - drink a beer.

Date: February 23, 2014 10:29PM
mattkime
ka jowct

I'd love to. I miss beer. But Mr. Migraine has sucked all the fun out of alcohol.
Date: February 24, 2014 02:32AM
have you found a substitute yet?

ka jowct
mattkime
ka jowct

I'd love to. I miss beer. But Mr. Migraine has sucked all the fun out of alcohol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020