advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FIOS CAME TO MY HOOD ... should i get it???
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 28, 2014 07:27PM
This morning when i left for work i saw four verizon truck on my street and it looked like they were looking to do some serious work. This morning I came home to a note on my front door advertising fios. My initial reaction is to sign up as soon as possible. but perhaps i should look before i jump.

I currently pay $38/month for 15/1mb through time warner cable. I feel lucky to pay less than $40/month but sometimes the connect is up and down like a yoyo. if it was solid i might pause before changing anything. Anyway, I originally signed up through earthlink YEARS ago and i'm not sure i'd get the same deal again.

As for fios, i'm a bit concerned about rate increases.

(I'm not interested in tv or phone unless its dirt cheap....also, i live in brooklyn)

advice?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FIOS CAME TO MY HOOD ... should i get it???
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 28, 2014 07:31PM
Find out how much and how fast...

Oh, and I hate you... smiling smiley

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Gareth
Date: February 28, 2014 07:35PM
I would switch just to stick it to TW, even if I had to pay more, within reason (presumably the speeds would be way faster, especially on the upload).
Posted by: wowzer
Date: February 28, 2014 07:37PM
Before my recent adventures regarding Verizon's FiOS and Netflix, I'd have said yes immediately. The FiOS connections are rock solid--no delays or downtime to speak of. With recent trouble, I'd say consider the possible trouble with downloading streams of youtube/netlfix.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 28, 2014 07:38PM
Good for you, you can jump from one to another for best deal and promotions. Here the put FiOS across the street but not in my neighborhood. You give me hope. They don't expand in new cities but maybe continue to install in cities they have already started.
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 28, 2014 07:38PM
No, you won't get the same deal again. If you leave, you'll get a BETTER deal to entice you back. My sister left Cablevision years ago when FIOS became available. She'd NEVER go back.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 28, 2014 07:39PM
Matt,

I'd jump to FIOS in a heartbeat. However, there are things to consider. If I remember correctly, you're in an apartment in a building. If that's the case, you'll need to get permission from your landlord to allow FIOS to install its hardware in your apartment.

In my building, each apartment gets its own FIOS hardware. This is entirely separate from the set-top boxes you'll need for TV service and the router for Internet service. It's a big white box - 12" x 18" x 4" - that must be located within the vicinity of the outlet. If you plan to get TV service, you may have some of the same problems I described in my threads about FIOS in my new apartment. In other words, it may require wire moulding in your apartment. again, lots of modifications.

You need to confirm with your landlord that FIOS is in fact now available in your building and, if so, get his/her permission to install the FIOS hardware - the main box and, if necessary, cabling for TV service. It's is the equivalent of a permanent modifications in your apartment, not like cable whose online interior component is just cable jacks. if I was a landlord I'd be very annoyed if I found out someone had Verizon's FIOS hardware installed in one of my units without first getting in writing permission from me.

Robert
Date: February 28, 2014 07:40PM
Wozer,

I have FIOS and have had no trouble whatsoever streaming from NetFlix. It makes me think the issues, if they really exist and I'm not convinced, are not widespread.

Robert
Posted by: wowzer
Date: February 28, 2014 07:43PM
Robert,

Which part of the country are you? I am in long island, NY.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Date: February 28, 2014 07:45PM
wowzer
Robert,

I think he is not far from you smiling smiley
Posted by: Bixby
Date: February 28, 2014 07:51PM
I've had FIOS for a couple years in the close-in Jersey 'burbs. Basic service - 15/5 plus telephone. They give you a decent price for the first year (but not as cheap as your TW service), then the price starts climbing up. My bill had gone to just over $100/mo and I decided it was time to get it lower. I wasn't interested in any of their upsells. It took an act of god (literally - the online rep screwed up and I had it in chat so they had to honor it) and several weeks of frustrating communication with them to get the price lowered. I've been a Verizon customer since 2005 (DSL before FIOS). If there were better options I would be there in a second. Verizon products are decent, but their service just stinks.
Date: February 28, 2014 07:57PM
what kind of price hikes have people seen? i'm looking at 15/5 internet at the $39.95 rate.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: February 28, 2014 08:15PM
Robert M
Matt,
In my building, each apartment gets its own FIOS hardware. This is entirely separate from the set-top boxes you'll need for TV service and the router for Internet service. It's a big white box - 12" x 18" x 4" - that must be located within the vicinity of the outlet. If you plan to get TV service, you may have some of the same problems I described in my threads about FIOS in my new apartment. In other words, it may require wire moulding in your apartment. again, lots of modifications.

That's a really good point.

When they wired my old apartment building for fiber, they ripped holes in the walls and inserted ugly plywood service-panels in and adjacent to a front hall closet where they were very visible. And that was just to provide pulls for the cable should a tenant decide to go for it. Since the affected closets were nowhere near electrical outlets, when the FiOS boxes went in they ran ugly cheap plastic raceways along the baseboards with wide-open junctions at every corner.

...And they doubled everyone's rent for the privilege.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: February 28, 2014 08:19PM
I'm on year 3 with FIOS... We have a bundle with HD TV for 3 TVs/remotes (1DVR & no premium channels) and 25/10 Internet. My current bill including all the taxes and other other @#$%& fees from everyone under the sun comes to $111 a month. The bundle was $89 for the first 2 years so I'm not doing too bad at this point and I'm not locked in.

Sometimes I wish the cost were lower but the only other options here are ATT U-Verse (who's speeds are abysmal according to local reports on the web) and Charter Cable (Who I despise) so Fios it is at least for now...

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 28, 2014 08:22PM
space-time
wowzer
Robert,

I think he is not far from you smiling smiley

Not far at all! LOL

It is what it is.
Date: February 28, 2014 08:23PM
Harbourmaster
I'm on year 3 with FIOS... We have a bundle with HD TV for 3 TVs/remotes (1DVR & no premium channels) and 25/10 Internet. My current bill including all the taxes and other other @#$%& fees from everyone under the sun comes to $111 a month. The bundle was $89 for the first 2 years so I'm not doing too bad at this point and I'm not locked in.

Sometimes I wish the cost were lower but the only other options here are ATT U-Verse (who's speeds are abysmal according to local reports on the web) and Charter Cable (Who I despise) so Fios it is at least for now...

At least you have 3 different options for high speed Internet. Paul F was stuck with Satellite dish until not long ago. Now he can finally download pron.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 28, 2014 08:24PM
Harbourmaster

Dude, you have it pretty dang good. I pay my cable provider (Cox) $200/mo for HDTV for 2 TVs (no premium channels, but a movie and a sports pack) and 15/5 Internet.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Big Daddy Cool
Date: February 28, 2014 08:32PM
yes!

and:

[www.defefx.com]
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 28, 2014 08:34PM
I've had it for 6 years. Love it. No issues at all with Netflix streaming but my service is now from Frontier, which took over Verizon FiOS here a few years ago. That transition was a little bumpy but had nothing to do with the quality of the service. I pay $75/month for internet and land line. No TV. Inc. taxes and fees.
Date: February 28, 2014 08:45PM
N-OS,

I'm pay about $160 or so for 4 TVs, 50/25 Internet, TV Extreme plus a special HBO/Showtime package and the multi-room DVR. It's a contract deal that expires in December. At that point, Verizon will likely have a similar or better deal. I'll worry about it when the time comes. smiling smiley

Robert

P.S. Wowzer, I'm in Nassau County, Long Island. We're neighbors - lol!
Date: February 28, 2014 08:46PM
just realized that a number of months ago i realized that they were installing new telephone polls in the neighborhood. its kind of odd. i thought "YAY FIOS!" and then i thought "you're such an optimistic dork..."

i can see the new fios hardware hanging from the existing lines across the street.
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 28, 2014 11:55PM
My verizon fios fee has spiked. I'm at $67.99 for 15/5, not counting the bundled phone (I don't have the tv). They really really want you to do the triple play, and any other combo invites the screw, apparently.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 01, 2014 06:42AM
Wow, nice to have a choice between legit broadband. Here, it's Comcast or 1.5Mbps DSL.

Acer
My verizon fios fee has spiked. I'm at $67.99 for 15/5, not counting the bundled phone (I don't have the tv). They really really want you to do the triple play, and any other combo invites the screw, apparently.

Yeah this is how they all operate. $40 for 15/5 is nice but more like $70 is the real, eventual price. We now pay about $75 for 30Mbps from Comcast. Still, that's what "the market" (fake, artificial, politically corrupt) will bear.

matt, your TW will be going away and replaced by Comcast after the merger. By that time you might switch back ...
Date: March 01, 2014 07:13AM
looking around online i saw that the monthly rate for 15/5 is $39.95 - how do they jack it up?

Posted by: 3d
Date: March 01, 2014 07:17AM
Shut up and call Fios for an appointment NOW. The moment they hit a new area there will be a mass of people trying to get the service. And a backlog of weekend install dates. A Fios install takes at least 2-3 hours per customer. You can always cancel later.
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 01, 2014 09:42AM
You should be good for the initial contract. In my case, it went from 5/1 at 39.95 about...4 or 5 years ago?... to a mandatory switch to 15/1 at 49.95, to 15/1 at 59.95, and last December the 15/1 went to $67.99.

We can also get Comcast. They have an initial join-up offer at a similar $39.95 for the first year. It goes up the second year of the contract, and after that it looks like the standard prices and speeds approach verizon's standard pricing.

That said, the speed is awesome and I have had zero technical issues or outages of which I am aware.

TL,DR: Enjoy your $39.95, but understand it's temporary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2014 09:43AM by Acer.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 01, 2014 04:32PM
I left CableVision for FiOS and came back to CableVision.
FiOS kept raising the price to exorbitant.
I pay >$100/mo for triple play with 15/5. For $5 more It's 50/20 as I remember.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is walking, standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Date: March 01, 2014 04:59PM
Fritz,

That deal from cablevision is just for one year. After the year is up, you have to wait at least 3 months before they'll give it to you again. The retention team isn't even willing to give it to you again, even after you've threatened to jump to FIOS and begin the cancellation process.

Robert
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 01, 2014 05:05PM
I'm on year 2 now, and they reduced it by a couple bucks going into 2.
They're all crooked. I find you have to do battle with their reps, polite battle, but battle none the less. They tire easily.
I'm tempted to just get the series of tubes from them and leave it at that.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is walking, standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: March 01, 2014 05:18PM
You will love fiber. boink smiley

Date: March 01, 2014 06:30PM
Fritz,

Funny... They refused to negotiate when I decided to make the switch to FIOS. Same goes for my parents and my brother. One year only. 'course, we've all switched to FIOS but I suspect Cablevision doesn't know the difference at all.

Robert
Date: March 02, 2014 11:59AM
onthedownlow
You will love fiber. boink smiley

is your sig a joke??

Date: March 02, 2014 12:25PM
hm, looks like they'll do 15/5 for $49.99 according to their site....with a price jump to $69.99 for year two.

and if I add tv its $69.99 for two years. (doesn't include sports networks.)

I wonder what the "punishment" is for terminating the contract.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2014 12:25PM by mattkime.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 132
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020