advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Enhancement Request for Apple
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: March 01, 2014 04:49PM
How about giving you the option of naming a Screen Shot when you take one, rather than just placing yet another anonymous 'ScreenShot' on the desktop? I end up with a bunch of them, and can't remember which is which.

Or does Mavericks do this? I'm still on Mountain Lion.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2014 04:50PM by mrlynn.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Enhancement Request for Apple
Posted by: hal
Date: March 01, 2014 05:11PM
I want to add another request to cancel out MrLynn's request. I don't want to be interrupted with another step as I'm taking screenshots. If I want to rename them, I'll do so later.

Sorry mylynn sad smiley
Date: March 01, 2014 05:33PM
hal
I want to add another request to cancel out MrLynn's request. I don't want to be interrupted with another step as I'm taking screenshots. If I want to rename them, I'll do so later.

Sorry mylynn sad smiley

Make it a user-specified OPTION!

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: March 01, 2014 05:39PM
My screenshots are named with a time/date-stamp - so not 'anonymous'. I like that convenience so much better and can always rename them later (which sometimes I do).

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: March 01, 2014 05:53PM
mrlynn
How about giving you the option of naming a Screen Shot when you take one, rather than just placing yet another anonymous 'ScreenShot' on the desktop? I end up with a bunch of them, and can't remember which is which.

/Mr Lynn

You can instantly preview them by using Quick Look — just select the icon then hit the spacebar.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 01, 2014 06:01PM
Article Accelerator
mrlynn

/Mr Lynn

You can instantly preview them by using Quick Look — just select the icon then hit the spacebar.

You can also use the space keys to move the Quick Look focus to the next item. You can also hit the return key to rename the file.

I do this a lot - get a folder full of images (or screenshots) click on the first one, hit the spacebar to bring up Quick Look, hit the return key to rename it, hit the return key again to lock in the new name, hit the arrow key to move onto the next item... rinse and repeat.

You can do all of this even when you can't see the finder window - you just have the quick view window on top of everything.
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 01, 2014 06:28PM
POMTL

Like Apple care about user experience anymore LOL. Keep on dreaming lads.
Date: March 01, 2014 06:29PM
onthedownlow
My screenshots are named with a time/date-stamp - so not 'anonymous'. I like that convenience so much better and can always rename them later (which sometimes I do).

Screen Shot
2014. . .M.png

That's all mine says (with Desktop in Icon View, which is normal). That's pretty anonymous.

/Mr Lynn
Date: March 01, 2014 06:35PM
Article Accelerator

I didn't know that; thanks. And thanks to Hal for the Return key hint, too. I guess I shoulda read the manual. There was a manual, wasn't there?

That will help. I still would like the option, though. Put in System Prefs, so those who don't want it wouldn't have to use it.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 01, 2014 07:13PM
space-time
POMTL

Like Apple care about user experience anymore LOL. Keep on dreaming lads.

Unfortunately, this is my experience too. I'm still on ML (I can't go to Mavericks because my institution isn't supporting it yet), and even in ML, they've screwed things up pretty badly... examples:

1) iTunes, can't turn off dialog that always comes up to ask if you're 17 to download an "adult" app (I posted about this one awhile back)

2) Preview now insists on printing continuous pages when you have more than one document open (original post about it here: [forums.macresource.com] )

3) Finder still doesn't allow you to click on items behind the current window (this has been messed up since 10.5, I believe)

4) Finder will halt copy processes because it claims items are "in use", when in fact they aren't

... etc.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: March 01, 2014 07:27PM
Control+Command+Shift+3 (or Control+Command+Shift+4) will copy your screenshot to the clipboard.

Command+N in Preview will make a new document with the contents of the clipboard and allow you to save that screenshot with whatever name you care to give it.

PeterB
Preview now insists on printing continuous pages when you have more than one document open...

If you've got a Finder window open with those docs showing (or if they're on the Desktop), select the document in the Finder and hit Command+P to print it instead of printing from Preview.

It's a kludge, but it's quick.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: March 01, 2014 07:45PM
mrlynn
onthedownlow

Screen Shot
2014. . .M.png

That's all mine says (with Desktop in Icon View, which is normal). That's pretty anonymous.

/Mr Lynn

I suppose. For me, I usually remember when (and why) I take the screenshots, so I can pick them out easily if I have several on the Desktop.

Posted by: testcase
Date: March 01, 2014 08:06PM
Thank you hal, I didn't know that.
Date: March 01, 2014 11:07PM
Chakravartin
Control+Command+Shift+3 (or Control+Command+Shift+4) will copy your screenshot to the clipboard.

Command+N in Preview will make a new document with the contents of the clipboard and allow you to save that screenshot with whatever name you care to give it.

PeterB
Preview now insists on printing continuous pages when you have more than one document open...

If you've got a Finder window open with those docs showing (or if they're on the Desktop), select the document in the Finder and hit Command+P to print it instead of printing from Preview.

Yes, that works, but there may be times when you want to actually have the doc open when you print (say if you only want to print a range of pages).

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: March 02, 2014 02:12AM
PeterB
Chakravartin

PeterB

Yes, that works, but there may be times when you want to actually have the doc open when you print (say if you only want to print a range of pages).

[forums.macresource.com]
Date: March 02, 2014 08:34AM
Article Accelerator
PeterB
Chakravartin

PeterB

[forums.macresource.com]

Already addressed later in that same thread and the subsequent post ... this seems to have been a screwup by Apple.

Date: March 02, 2014 09:17AM
Chakravartin

First you have to save it, then delete the original: multiple steps. My (optional) enhancement would avoid all that.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: March 02, 2014 09:25AM
mrlynn
Chakravartin

First you have to save it, then delete the original

Huh??

There is no "original" until you save it.

The screenshot goes to the clipboard, not to your Desktop.
Date: March 02, 2014 09:42AM
Oh, CONTROL+Command+Shift. Missed that.

Thanks.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 02, 2014 09:45AM
PeterB
Already addressed later in that same thread and the subsequent post ... this seems to have been a screwup by Apple.

space-time
POMTL Like Apple care about user experience anymore LOL. Keep on dreaming lads.

Apple is getting people used to changes so they will complain less when iOSX unifies things between Mac and iOS.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: March 02, 2014 10:22AM
Filliam H. Muffman
Apple is getting people used to changes so they will complain less when iOSX unifies things between Mac and iOS.

How are they going to do that—eliminate the Finder?

/Mr Lynn
Date: March 02, 2014 11:26AM
Filliam H. Muffman
PeterB

space-time
POMTL Like Apple care about user experience anymore LOL. Keep on dreaming lads.

Maybe, but this "reductionist/minimalist" approach to make the Mac OS more and more like the iOS is having the effect of dumbing it down to the point where, in some cases, you can no longer easily get your work done. I can no longer easily do things that I was able to do in versions of the OS that are now 2-3 versions old. That's simply @ss-backwards, and contrary to the Apple mantra of "it just works".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2014 11:27AM by PeterB.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 241
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020