advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
HOME DEPOT: Wood shelf project. Need help with some advice.
Posted by: 3d
Date: March 02, 2014 05:14PM
I'm putting up a 5-foot long shelf in the laundry room. Shelf will be used to store gallon size jugs of liquid detergents and bleach. So roughly 60-80 lb load across entire shelf.

I located the studs 16-inch on center. Screwed in 4 brackets across the 5-foot span. It says 200lb capacity.

Go to Home Depot to get a shelf. 12 deep. 60 long. Found a piece of 72-inch pine for $20. Had it cut down to 60-inch long. Done.

I get home and place the pine board on the brackets and see that the pine board is WARPED. A tiny bit. Not really noticeable in the store. But when i place it on the perfectly level brackets, it's very apparent. The wood in 2 corners of the shelf is not even touching the bracket!

They say that there is no returns on cut lumber at HomeDepot. But this wood was warped and un-usable. There must be exceptions, right? Bleh.

***QUESTION***
Should I not have gotten pine for a 5 foot shelf? OAK? MDF? Keep in mind I have enough support with the 4 brackets across 5 feet. I just need something flat and won't warp in a humid laundry room.

What do you guys think?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: HOME DEPOT: Wood shelf project. Need help with some advice.
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: March 02, 2014 05:19PM
Plywood is most stable. You could just use the pine, convex face up and clamp/load it, then drive screws from bottom of brackets. And yes, I am a professional woodworker.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 02, 2014 05:19PM
If you have that many brackets just screw the board in and it will level out.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: March 02, 2014 05:25PM
The brackets are metal with predrilled holes. Would screwing the warped part of the wood into the bracket crack the wood? At this point I'm guessing I might have a chance at a return. But if it's full of screw holes and possible a crack, I'm guessing my chances of a return will get slimmer.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 02, 2014 05:28PM
nwyaker
Plywood is most stable. You could just use the pine, convex face up and clamp/load it, then drive screws from bottom of brackets. And yes, I am a professional woodworker.

This. I would have gone with plywood also, but what's done is done.

It never hurts to inquire regarding a return.

It is what it is.
Posted by: steve...
Date: March 02, 2014 05:40PM
Did you try putting a load on it? Sixty to eighty pounds of load might unwarp the board enough so that you won't even notice.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: MikeF
Date: March 02, 2014 05:40PM
If you put the load on the shelf, will it then touch the brackets? How far off the brackets is it?

Alternatively, you could drive the screws a little, wait (with the load on the shelf), then drive them in some more until it is no longer warped.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 02, 2014 06:01PM
Pine is fine.
Unless it has a nasty grain induced cup it will likely flatten out with stuff on it.
Screws in pre-drilled holes where it touches the brackets and then come back in a couple weeks and get the others.
Or just plop the board up there, load stuff on it, flip it over in a few weeks and then see what you've got.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: March 02, 2014 06:18PM
billb
Pine is fine.
Unless it has a nasty grain induced cup it will likely flatten out with stuff on it.
Screws in pre-drilled holes where it touches the brackets and then come back in a couple weeks and get the others.
Or just plop the board up there, load stuff on it, flip it over in a few weeks and then see what you've got.

agree smiley

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Date: March 02, 2014 06:41PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm too much of a perfectionist for my own good sometimes. You should've seen how much time I spent with that cheapo stud finder and blue tape, marking off the stud edges and centers.

The eventual entire load of the 5-foot shelf would be about 60-80 lbs. The warping is in two opposing corners. If I put the board on the floor it rocks back and forth diagonally, if that makes sense. So by putting the shelf up and placing detergent jugs on the shelf only one or two jugs (8-10lbs) would be on the warped part. I'll give it a shot. I don't have anything to lose. I'll put it up on the brackets with no screws. Load it up. Then flip it after a week. Maybe the humidity of the washer dryer would affect it as well.

I don't have time to go to HomeDepot until next weekend anyway.

What annoys me the most is that for $5 more I could've gotten the red oak plank. Which I'm sure would have had less warping if any at all.

6 ft pine board = $20. Cut down to 5ft.
5 ft red oak plank cut to length = $4.89 a foot. About $25.

I had the kids with me and wasn't thinking straight. banghead smiley
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 02, 2014 07:09PM
wood has a certain amount of flex, depending on the type. If it's something that is seen, I understand (and commiserate) with your perfectionism. Otherwise, just let it go and screw it into the supports so that it straightens reasonably.
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: March 02, 2014 07:10PM
Don't bet on a better scenario with the oak. Solid woods move with moisture. Unless you got a perfect vertical grain piece with same moisture content as where it will be used, you can't expect perfection. Plywood is the best solution. Technically, the pine you described is actually twisted, not warped.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 02, 2014 08:47PM
they may have had a perfectly flat melamine shelf 60x12 inches if you're happy with engineered wood fibre.

red oak would have been overkill for a shelf unless you have an awful fancy laundry room
( I had a pantry/laundry room that was all raised panel maple cabinets - still had pine shelves though )

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: slbett
Date: March 02, 2014 10:56PM
Pine is probably one of the most unstable woods to use. It can warp, cup or, twist as yours has. Wood is wood, changes with humidity levels. You must seal ALL 6 sides to reduce but it won't eliminate it completely. Sealing ends is important. Think of the grain as a straw sucking in moisture from each end.

You can buy a piece of pine that may be almost perfect in store and it can warp within a couple of days of getting it home. No way to keep humidity levels constant at all times especially in a laundry room.

Good Luck
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 03, 2014 10:56AM
Another vote for future avoidance of pine. All the pine shelving I've ever built has been smaller and carefully milled, along with strips and stiffeners to keep the boards even. I know HD sells pine boards as 'shelving', but seriously they are doing their customers a disservice.
Date: March 03, 2014 11:27AM
I peeked into the laundry room this morning to see if the shelf magically healed itself after loading it with weight. But no, it's still bent. I know it's only been 12 hours. But I had to check smiling smiley
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 03, 2014 11:36AM
I've had this happen dozens of times. Never thought twice about it. Just screwed a couple shorty screws through the brackets underneath and Bob's your uncle.

Date: March 03, 2014 12:34PM
I see a couple of c-clamps and screws in my future.
Uhhh, hmm, i guess i should prime and paint it now while the shelf is still loose from the brackets. My weekend to-do list is filling up fast.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 03, 2014 01:12PM
I'm too much of a perfectionist for my own good sometimes.

LOL, though not all that much of a perfectionist, sometimes certain things just get to me, and this might be one. Especially after being sure that the shelf is level.

But I agree with the load leveling it out.

Then screwing it down.

But the humidity might make it worse, I don't *think* it would make it better. Worth a shot, though. I've seen enough similar laundry-room installs that after awhile I'd get fed up looking at it and go get some plywood.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: March 03, 2014 01:39PM
RAMd®d

LOL, though not all that much of a perfectionist, sometimes certain things just get to me, and this might be one. Especially after being sure that the shelf is level.

Then screwing it down.

But the humidity might make it worse, I don't *think* it would make it better. Worth a shot, though. I've seen enough similar laundry-room installs that after awhile I'd get fed up looking at it and go get some plywood.

The freakin shelf is right smack at my eye level too. Those warped corners will be my weekly F-U to perfectionism sent from Satan to torment my every laundry task. I won't be able to go in there anymore to do laundry. I won't have the strength to carry on. My wife will have to take on all the future laundry duties unfortunately...
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 03, 2014 06:30PM
3d
RAMd®d

Then screwing it down.

The freakin shelf is right smack at my eye level too. Those warped corners will be my weekly F-U to perfectionism sent from Satan to torment my every laundry task. I won't be able to go in there anymore to do laundry. I won't have the strength to carry on. My wife will have to take on all the future laundry duties unfortunately...

Sounds serious. Try to return it. If they won't take it back, well, after they close you could stop by with five gallons of your favorite flammable for their lumber yard.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Carm
Date: March 03, 2014 09:07PM
As mentioned already, melamine would be the best option, I have done many a shelf and melamine is the only product I would use.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 145
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020