advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Does iPhone automatically switch to wifi when in range?
Posted by: olnacl
Date: March 04, 2014 06:24PM
I just set up an AirPort Extreme at home for a friend. She signed on and connected with her iPhone 4.When she leaves the house and it loses the wifi signal, I assume it will revert to the cell carrier data connection. Question is, when she returns home will it automatically use wifi over cellular data once in range? Sorry if this is a nu-be question but she has a limited data plan with her cell carrier and doesn't want to unknowingly run up her cell bill using the iPhone in her house. TIA.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Does iPhone automatically switch to wifi when in range?
Posted by: Catzilla
Date: March 04, 2014 06:26PM
Yes.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 04, 2014 06:35PM
My experience has been as Catzilla says except when I leave it recharging and it 'sleeps', then it goes into 'phantom data' mode which uses the cell signal. And which sucks big time. I'm still using iOS 6.x.

Edit: In Settings, WiFi. 'Ask to join networks' should be off and then it'll join automatically. Works for any network she has used.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2014 06:38PM by Speedy.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: March 04, 2014 06:38PM
Yes, in fact it will remember multiple WiFi signals and automatically connect whenever it's in range.

I do have one that is messed up, however. I can't figure it out but it never automatically connects; I have to manually select it every time. I suppose I need to delete it and reconnect but it's at a location I don't frequent.
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 04, 2014 07:31PM
If she has limited data, and especially if she is running iOS7, I would tell her to manually toggle data Off, when she is at home, on WiFi.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: March 04, 2014 08:24PM
Speedy
Edit: In Settings, WiFi. 'Ask to join networks' should be off and then it'll join automatically.
That preference is for when there is not a previously known network, but there is a network available.
If you have joined the network before, it will connect automatically

rgG
I would tell her to manually toggle data Off, when she is at home, on WiFi.
I used to do this, but it was ultimately unnecessary.
As long as it's a reliable connection, the iphone defaults to WiFi.

• back to confinement

Posted by: jdc
Date: March 04, 2014 08:39PM
rich in distress
rgG

This X2 -- its automatic

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 04, 2014 08:59PM
jdc
rich in distress
rgG

This X2 -- its automatic

I have seen data usage from my daughter's iPhone, from the data logs on Verizon website, while I know she was on her very stable WiFi connection, like in the middle of the night when her phone was charging, so it used data instead of WiFi. These usages can be 10-15MB or they might be .1MB. If you are on a limited data plan, and are concerned about going over, it is safer just to turn data off when at home, or at least when you plug your phone in to charge.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: modelamac
Date: March 05, 2014 08:22AM
On her iPhone 4, under SETTINGS, CELLULAR, There are several options. She can just turn off cellular altogether or turn off cellular for individual apps.

I have a very limited cellular data plan and just turn off the data access for the individual apps. I keep it on for weather, Maps, and a few others. I physically turn off all apps when I'm not using them, preventing them from using any data service. I do keep locations services on.

olnacl
I just set up an AirPort Extreme at home for a friend. She signed on and connected with her iPhone 4.When she leaves the house and it loses the wifi signal, I assume it will revert to the cell carrier data connection. Question is, when she returns home will it automatically use wifi over cellular data once in range? Sorry if this is a nu-be question but she has a limited data plan with her cell carrier and doesn't want to unknowingly run up her cell bill using the iPhone in her house. TIA.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: March 05, 2014 09:43AM
Ditto on checking the SETTINGS/CELLULAR options.
I also keep everything off with the exception of mail, weather, maps and compass.
Every newly installed app wants you connected 24/7, and some of them prefer cell connection.
Also, at the bottom of Cellular, Reset Statistics is very useful to keep an eye on data usage.

• back to confinement

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 377
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020