advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone Have "Mouse" Shoulder?
Posted by: Surfrider
Date: March 08, 2014 08:57AM
That's what my chiro calls the pain in my neck/shoulder/arm.

I use a Wacom tablet and stylus, sometimes for an hour or two a day, some days, 5-6 hours.

I sit in the usual way, the Wacom is low, almost on my knees, so I don't feel like I'm straining but I'm getting a bunch of pain.

I can't imagine I'm alone in this...anyone?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone Have "Mouse" Shoulder?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 08, 2014 09:04AM
Surf,

I just mimicked using a tablet and stylus resting on my knees and adjacent to my knees. Very uncomfortable. I felt strain in the front of my shoulder immediately. Maybe try moving the tablet to a different location and see if the situation changes? I should point out that I might be feeling the strain because I'm unaccustomed to using a tablet and stylus at lap level.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2014 09:36AM by Robert M.
Posted by: iaJim
Date: March 08, 2014 09:21AM
Hmmmmm. I DO have a lot of pain in my mousing shoulder. That is less true in my non mousing shoulder. Hmmmm.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 08, 2014 09:23AM
I recommend a standing desk.

Posted by: blooz
Date: March 08, 2014 09:55AM
At least change the position of the pad to see if that helps.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: billb
Date: March 08, 2014 10:01AM
Surfrider

I sit in the usual way, the Wacom is low, almost on my knees, so I don't feel like I'm straining but I'm getting a bunch of pain.

Patient: It hurts when I do this
Doc: Don't do that

Just like your @55 going numb from sitting too long in one position you probably need to find several different ways of using the tab, especially now that your tendons are tender and switch them up every half hour or so.
I'm surprised you don't get numb in the elbow
That low seems a bit of a strain on the upper shoulder and awkward to boot.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 08, 2014 10:13AM
I have been going thru a bout with this the last couple weeks. Normally, a little morning Rodney Yee yoga keeps me straight. Too much snow, slip on ice, mousing ……. dunno what made it so bad this time.

My wife, a PT, has been working on me daily. 4 point Stim, ice, Capsaicin massage, exercises, rest.
I'm almost back to normal. Still going to an osteo Mon just to be sure I haven't a mess brewing.

One good thing about the sausage factory. Union insurance. NQA.

But she has also changed my external screen position.

She's an excellent cook as well.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Black
Date: March 08, 2014 11:37AM
Very little chance everyone here mentioning their problem really has "the same thing."

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 08, 2014 11:37AM
The tablet needs to be located to close to where you have the mouse, assuming you use the mouse in a RSI friendly location. I used a puck and tablet for CAD for a couple of months and generally replaced the mouse with the tablet.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: billb
Date: March 08, 2014 12:08PM
Black
Very little chance everyone here mentioning their problem really has "the same thing."
and ?
So we should leave relative knowledge, caring, empathy and commiseration at the door ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Black
Date: March 08, 2014 12:12PM
billb
Black
and ?
So we should leave relative knowledge, caring, empathy and commiseration at the door ?
Why yes, Bill, that's exactly what I meant to say- thank you so much!

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 08, 2014 05:28PM
I had a frozen and painful shoulder after using my mouse at shoulder height for a few months. It lasted over a year and finally got better after rubbing magnesium gel on it and, at other times, horse linament (DMSO) with Capsaicin (red) pepper in it.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 08, 2014 07:39PM
Black,

I know I don't have the same problem. However, moved my hardware into the same position as Surfrider and mimicked likely movements. The result is what I described. Good enough for me to say the position could be contributing to the issue.

Robert
Posted by: Surfrider
Date: March 10, 2014 10:42AM
I don't use a mouse, my chiro just sees the same symptoms I have in other folks who do use a mouse.

After I wrote my question and posted it, I noticed I was tensing my arm/shoulder and not really resting it on the pad. I think I'll try resting it on the pad and not hovering above it.

Thanks to all for the advice, some good things to try.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 138
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020