advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Still have wireless issues...
Posted by: DP
Date: September 21, 2006 06:45AM
Have never been really happy with my wireless performance but now with my new iMac added, it's getting silly. I've got AT&T DSL and it's reasonable on the old Pismo. When I fired up the new iMac for the first time, Airport lit right up and it's got a full signal but pages load slower than dial-up about half the time and the other 50% of the time don't open much faster. Now, some sites (coincidentally, this one) open right now. Most of the time however I'll wait and then I'll get the "server not found try again" window. I also know with DSL it said to try to keep power cords, etc., away from the DSL connecting lines as that may interfere with performance which I've done. I'm using Firefox as it's the quickest; Safari won't load pages at all! I have Entourage X on the Pismo but that's not supported by ATT Yahoo; neither is Mail so I have to use ATT Yahoo's mail client. Yes, I'm sure you're thinking "just use the 'Mo for internet" but I do work on the iMac and need to email images, documents, etc., to clients and don't want to move something to the Pismo just to email it.
I have a Netgear wireless router and am running 10.4.7 on the iMac (10.3.9 on the Pismo). I never set anything on the iMac as it just started up itself so are there any settings I could check there? Thanx for any help.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Still have wireless issues...
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 21, 2006 07:03AM
Check for firmware updates on the Netgear?
Posted by: Frank Pardue
Date: September 21, 2006 07:37AM
Find out the IP addresses of the AT&T Domain Name servers. You can do this three ways, by using a web browser to get the info from the status page of your router, by checking the AT&T web site for the info, or by calling the AT&T support desk and asking for the info.

After you have the IP addresses for both the primary and secondary Domain Name Servers, open Networks prefs and click the configure button under the Airport connection, in the box labeled DNS Servers, enter the primary DNS Server's IP address, hit return and type the secondary DNS server's IP address, click Apply Now button to save the changes. reboot and try web surfing again, and see if that doesn't solve the problem.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: September 21, 2006 08:36AM
What Frank said.

Also, I had SBC (now ATT) dsl and received my email just fine in both Mail and Entourage for X via my DSL email addy: name@sbcyahoo.com.

The standard Yahoo WEB mail account is different. I think you may be trying to fetch your email off your Yahoo web-based account directly into Entourage or Mail? That's what it sounds like. You now have to pay to do this via Yahoo. Another free email service may be your answer like SpyMac, etc. The ultimate workaround is of course to get your own domain you@yourdomain.com or whatever. They are pretty cheap these days and you never have to futz with the above.

I use godaddy.com for my domain hosting, email, etc and never have problems with Entourage v. X; if you STF for godaddy, somebody recently mentioned they found one even cheaper and better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2006 08:38AM by SteveO.
Posted by: DP
Date: September 21, 2006 11:50AM
Thanx all...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 142
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020