Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What should I do with my Macbook Pro?
Posted by: Sam3
Date: March 13, 2014 08:05PM
Poll
To repair or not repair a mid 2010 13" MBP. Should I...
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
13 votes were received.
Spend $300 and take Apple up on their flat-rate repair offer? 10

77%
Do nothing, save $300 and buy a used MBP from OWC? 0

0%
Do nothing, save $300 and buy a reburbished MB Air from Apple? 2

15%
Do nothing, save $300 and save up until I can get a 15" MBPr 1

8%

I'm in bit of a quandry, I had my 13" mid-2010 Macbook Pro repaired last August right before Apple Care expired. It needed a new logic board. 6 months later (now), it seems that the logic board is again failing, or at least the graphic chip on it is having issues. First, I'm not too thrilled that Apple only offers a 90 day warranty on repaired parts, but now am wondering if I should get it repaired. The Genius offered a $300 flat-rate repair for it, which, I guess is a pretty good offer, but I am leery that the repaired/replaced logic board will fail again soon after the warranty on the part expires. I was looking to replace it anyway with either a 15" MBPr or a used/refurbished 17" MBP, however I cannot afford it at this time and probably won't be able to until next year.

OWC has a pretty good price on a 15" MBP, but it's of the same generation and I don't know if I want to keep with the same older technology, especially after reading that those machines had NVidia graphics chips issues and their logic boards needed replacing.

I'm kind of leaning toward getting a 13" Air, but for what I can afford, I'm not sure I could live with 4GB memory and especially only 128GB storage. Plus, then what do i do with a semi-functioning laptop?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What should I do with my Macbook Pro?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 13, 2014 08:14PM
This may be the toughest quandry ever posted here...

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 13, 2014 08:19PM
I will add that you can make that machine fly with an SSD, and that's an easy upgrade.

I think you are just unlucky - my wife has that identical machine, and it's great.

Look no further than here:

[forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2014 08:20PM by sekker.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 13, 2014 08:31PM
Obviously you should spend the $300 because you can then sell it for $300 more than you would get without the repair. I would gripe loudly to AppleCare about the six months the last fix worked.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: March 13, 2014 09:04PM
I agree with Speedy. Pay the $300 and try to get market price plus the $300. Then buy a refurb laptop (your choice) from Apple.

richorlin
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 13, 2014 09:14PM
Sounds like you ended up with a rare "lemon" and should probably unload it; either repair and sell immediately (my vote,) or consider it a lost cause and use the money towards a newer, used MacBook Pro.

If you can live with the 13" you'll get more features than the same price would get you in a 15".

My understanding is that those 17" MacBook Pros have a rarity that can price them higher than they really ought to be given their other specs.
Posted by: zachdog
Date: March 13, 2014 10:01PM
I'd call AppleCare and escalate the issue. A replacement logic board should last longer than 6 months.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 13, 2014 10:06PM
Many Microcenters still have a few of the 17" early-2011 Apple refurb, eligible for AppleCare. I bought one that appeared new (aren't most Apple refurbs new?) which also had a silent upgrade to 8GBs of RAM. $1300 glossy, $1380 matte.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: March 13, 2014 10:20PM
zachdog
I'd call AppleCare and escalate the issue. A replacement logic board should last longer than 6 months.

May not even be necessary to call. My 2006 15" MBP suffered a motherboard failure, long after the warranty period. The Apple Store replaced it (and fixed an antenna problem, too) for the flat-rate $300. Some months later I gave it to Number One Son, who took it to Peru. The MBP developed serious video problems. When he came back, it was well past the 3- or 6-month (I forget which) warranty period. We took it to the Apple Store, they replaced the mono again, and didn't charge us anything.

I'd take yours in and see what they say. If they insist on charging, then try escalating.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: silvarios
Date: March 13, 2014 11:16PM
DeusxMac
Sounds like you ended up with a rare "lemon" and should probably unload it; either repair and sell immediately (my vote,) or consider it a lost cause and use the money towards a newer, used MacBook Pro.

Not sure how rare, my dad had two Mac portable failures, both with known problems and Apple insisted on paying out of warranty costs for both. Understandably he declined both times and is on his third Mac notebook in the last six years. I will say, his old Mac mini has been pretty reliable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2014 11:20PM by silvarios.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: March 13, 2014 11:18PM
richorlin
I agree with Speedy. Pay the $300 and try to get market price plus the $300. Then buy a refurb laptop (your choice) from Apple.[/quote

What's market rate for a bad 2010 13" MacBook Pro? With new clearance Macs in the $799 range (sometimes cheaper, sometimes a bit more expensive), who would want to pay $600 for a three/four year old Core 2 Duo Pro? Seems too dicey for my tastes.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 14, 2014 01:08AM
zachdog

there is the applecare dept, and the customer relations dept. This is now a customer relations issue. Why did the original part last @ 3 years, and the replacement 6 months?
Posted by: BillMac
Date: March 14, 2014 05:11AM
They gave me the same BS story with my wife's '08 MBPro. Known nvidia issue, out of warranty plus the extra grace period by about 2 months. "Nope, we don't have the parts anymore. And even IF we did, the parts were MADE 5 years ago. IF we replaced it, we wouldn't be able to warrant the new part. So we won't replace it. 'Cuz we need to be able to warrant it. Yeah, that's the ticket".

Escalation didn't help. Pulled the drive and dropped it into a refurb 2012 model. Still deciding whether to sell old one as-is, or part it out.

PS - the quoted portion above was how the conversation played out in my head, NOT that they would actually say that. No. Not Apple.

-Bill
Posted by: pinion
Date: March 14, 2014 07:21AM
I would also call apple care and very politely gripe. If they don't budge I'd still pay the $300 and then sell the thing. I think you'd probably get your $300 back if it is in a working condition.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: BernDog
Date: March 14, 2014 12:48PM
If you decide to give up on it, try this first. What have you got to lose?

[cfusting.wordpress.com]

Or, send it to me, and I'LL try it!
Posted by: Sam3
Date: March 17, 2014 06:30PM
Thanks for your input. The Apple store finally called me back to say that they've isolated it to the video graphics display chip, therefore the motherboard needs to be replaced. Sending it to their repair depot will cost me $280, which is substantially better than the $500-$600 a logic board itself would cost. I decided to have the machine repaired, as I really can't afford another machine right now, and this way I can eek some more time out of it. I may, however sell it before this logic board's warranty runs out.

I may call Apple Customer Care and inquire why Apple's replacement part failed so quickly, if nothing else to let them know that I am not especially happy with having to pay close to $300 on something that I think shouldn't have failed in the first place.

I have no idea what happened to the original 250gb hdd. I usually install the original drive in a case and use it, this time it just disappeared. I did find a couple of Apple-branded 80gb SATA drives that I offered to them to install in place of my gig hybrid drive, they thought that the repair depot would balk at seeing that small a, therefore old, drive, They opted to send the laptop in without a hard drive.

I should have it back Wednesday or Thursday.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020