advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: Went Snowboarding today. I fell and did something to my ankle. It REALLY REALLY hurts, suggestions?
Posted by: microchip13
Date: January 08, 2006 04:48PM
It really hurts, especially when I put pressure on it and move it.

Ice, Heat? Which is best?

Just because it has two clutches, shifts faster, uses a torque converter or has near-infinite gear ratios, requires less driver intervention and is more efficient doesn't make it better in my opinion.
Save The Manual Transmission
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: Went Snowboarding today. I fell and did something to my ankle. It REALLY REALLY hurts, suggestions?
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 08, 2006 04:52PM
Stay off it as much as you can, chip. If it is swollen, ice will help the swelling. You should have your parents look at it, if you haven't already. I hope it gets better soon.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Re: OT: Went Snowboarding today. I fell and did something to my ankle. It REALLY REALLY hurts, suggestions?
Posted by: spearmint
Date: January 08, 2006 04:59PM
Plain aspiring or the like will do a lot for the pain. Get well.

Da Good Life
Posted by: Phy
Date: January 08, 2006 05:09PM
Use the RICE treatment
RICE= Rest, Ice, Compression (Ace bandage), Elevation

If not improved by tomorrow, better see a doctor
Posted by: iaJim
Date: January 08, 2006 05:39PM
Aspirin is not recommended for teenagers. Reis syndrome (sp).
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 08, 2006 05:45PM
Pain killer... (and do NOT overdose to try and make it work better!)

Stay off of it.
If it's not significantly improved tomorrow GO SEE A DOCTOR!

I was hiking when I was 15, slid down an embankement and ended up sitting on my foot... My ankle hurt like hell for weeks.
To this day, TWENTY YEARS LATER, that ankle isn't real flexible, and every time I run or walk a ways (a mile or more), that ankle aches badly.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Phy
Date: January 08, 2006 05:46PM
Actually "aspiring" is very good for teenagers!

Aspirin or "expiring" are not.

Motrin or Naproxyn might help. Both reduce inflammation.
Date: January 08, 2006 05:53PM
I'm not big on taking pain killer type things.

I hate pills.

Trying to stay off it for now, it's very amusing hopping around the house.

Thanks for the advice.

Just because it has two clutches, shifts faster, uses a torque converter or has near-infinite gear ratios, requires less driver intervention and is more efficient doesn't make it better in my opinion.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 08, 2006 06:28PM
Good god, 'chip, be smart about this -- go see a doctor!

It is what it is.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 08, 2006 06:54PM
RICE as stated above and if not better tomorrow see doctor.

I have the opposite problem, my ankle is TOO flexible. . . .when I was young I use to sprain it often. . .any misstep and it would bend 90 degrees.

To this day, it occasionnally happens also. . .bends 90 degrees but now it doesn't sprain. I just keep walkin'. . .

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: January 08, 2006 07:00PM
Chip, you need to get rid of that dangerous snowboard get get a nice safe sled...like this one. =-)

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: Marcos Malo
Date: January 08, 2006 07:12PM
I'm not sure about ankles, but have you tried to pee on your toe? It's supposed to work for insect stings, maybe it would work on your ankle. Ask Dr. Pr0n. =)

Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: January 08, 2006 07:13PM
I suggest this for everyone I know with a limb issue.

Amputation.

This is the "DIY Kit" available from HomeDepot. Titanium is much stronger than bone anyway.

[ img] imagine a photo of amputated foot in bucket - oozing blood, and showing bone and other necrosis. [ /img]

Ok... now stop. What do you think "[ /img]" means??? It means END IMAGINATION.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2006 03:48PM by Jimmypoo.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 08, 2006 08:07PM
Ditch the board, see a doc.
Date: January 08, 2006 08:17PM
Feels a bit better now.

I can walk on it a bit, but really can't move it.

It still hurts quite a bit, but better.

Thanks

Date: January 08, 2006 09:14PM
You keep looking in that bucket, and you'll be running to school tomorrow!

grinning smiley
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 08, 2006 09:35PM
I find that by avoiding exercise, I can avoid those injuries...
Posted by: davester
Date: January 08, 2006 09:37PM
Why are you walking on it? In my experience, the first 24 hours is critical for recovery from a sprained ankle...if you abuse it (i.e. walking around) you will take a lot longer to recover. Sit down right now, get your ankle above your heart, ice it down (but be careful not to freeze the tissue...use an ice pack wrapped in a towel and take a break periodically) and take an NSAID (ibuprofen [generic for Motrin] is generally considered to be best...be sure to follow the precautions on the label). Do you have any crutches at home?...if so, use them so you don't apply stress to your ankle. I'm a coach, and I don't like to see my players sidelined, so I know of what I speak.
Posted by: Kiva
Date: January 08, 2006 09:43PM
JP...that was lame and uncalled for in this thread...vote to remove..

Eastern medicine would say to actually avoid ice and use heat off and on - they believe ice reduces the flow.. :-)

A friend of mine sprained her ankle badly and did only heat...i thought she was nuts, but it got much better quicker.

Who knows. I know for sure that acupuncture will help :-) But that's after you go to the Dr. to see if it's really messed up..

kiva
Date: January 08, 2006 09:47PM
Not only did I walk on it. I boarded down the mountain with it.

No crutches.

I've been trying to stay off it

Date: January 08, 2006 09:48PM
Kiva,

It's a joke.

See.... look at it again. Jokey Jokey.

Funny.

HaHa.

Maybe not good joke... but meant to still be joke.

Photo on internet.

Make joke.

Laugh.

Or don't laugh.

What is it with everyone tonight??

Sheesh!
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 08, 2006 10:13PM
Jimmypoo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is it with everyone tonight??
>
> Sheesh!

It was the 4.4 MB photo I linked to over at AS; its bad mojo was powerful enough to affect feng shui in both places. winking smiley

It is what it is.
Posted by: Kiva
Date: January 08, 2006 10:15PM
i wasn't the only one who thought it was out of line...a bit over-the-top....most people post warnings before putting up graphic stuff like that....

but that would take foresight and a bit of sensitivity...

kiva
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: January 08, 2006 10:25PM
>but that would take foresight and a bit of sensitivity...

What if we just sang a hearty round of Kumbaya and then all hugged?

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: Marcos Malo
Date: January 08, 2006 11:05PM
Yeah, JP, you should have marked it NWSL (Not Safe For Lunch). =D

Posted by: rexrzer
Date: January 08, 2006 11:38PM
JP, you're being a baaad, baaad man again! Naughty boy!

Mr. 'Chip, by all means do NOT walk on your ankle and please use ice liberally...you can use it for up to 20 minutes an hour, every hour, until you go to sleep. Don't let the ice burn your skin. Wrap the ice pack, or ice bag, or plastic bag full of ice, in a torn sheet or the like (something sheer will do, anything), to get full effect. If it's swollen tomorrow, go see a doctor and get an X-Ray, at the very least.

Ankles are very precious things. I sprained my right ankle very badly playing competitive tennis when I was 27, and kept playing on it for months. It was a disaster when I finally got treatment: there was nothing broken, but I'd strained and stressed all the muscles and tendons in it so bad that my orthopedic MD took one look at it and said: "Looks like we're going to be casting your ankle in a few minutes...and it's going to stay in a cast for at least 3 months."

I'm sure you don't want that to happen to your ankle. My issue eventually lengthened to a period of 6 months in 3 different casts. Not any fun at all, I assure you. Avoid a repeat of such a thing happening to you by being sensible about it, using proper treatments, and seeking medical attention immediately if any serious symptoms persist.

Good luck, and I hope it turns out to be aok fine in the AM.

What's the difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make some sense.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 09, 2006 01:15AM
It's all been said, but don't even try to walk on it, that will only make it worse, even if it doesn't hurt to do so.
You probably should have gone to a doctor already, you might need a brace or at least a bandage to hold it in place, also to keep swelling down.
I'm not a doctor, but that's what I would have done for myself.

And just one question- How did you hurt just one ankle snowbording? I've only been snowboarding twice, and never hurt myself, but it seems like since both feet are tied to the same board that any injury sustained to one would also be directed to the other foot.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 09, 2006 06:46AM
Next time, as soon as it happens, ice it down. Ice in a bucket of water means you won't risk freezing the foot. Leave it that way for an hour or two. Then apply mild heat and a pain killer.
Posted by: incognegro
Date: January 09, 2006 11:17AM
told ya... snowboarding IS torture!!!

Posted by: davester
Date: January 09, 2006 11:21AM
Speedy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Next time, as soon as it happens, ice it down.
> Ice in a bucket of water means you won't risk
> freezing the foot. Leave it that way for an hour
> or two. Then apply mild heat and a pain killer.

I have to disagree with that...ice in a bucket of water is at freezing point. You definitely will do damage keeping an ankle (or any part) at that temperature for an hour. Rexrzer's was the best description of what you should be doing. The point of the ice is to reduce the swelling. After 24 hours the swelling is probably about done and you can experiment with heat therapy.
Date: January 09, 2006 03:51PM
Rex's cure is the cure. Or as close as you get.

It's classic trainer/physical therapist routine immediately after an incident.

You can't go much more than 20 minutes without risk of tissue damage from the cold. Especially if you are using a cold pack - which can be much colder than ice, depending on the chemicals in it or if it is an endothermic pack.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 133
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020