advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Skylanders? Tell me all about it.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: April 19, 2014 06:04AM
Got daughter the Skylanders Wii console with Giant pack in (that's three figures, portal, game, and blue Wii) for $75. Any cool figures I should be on the look out for? Any good deals right now? Target had a buy two get one free offer, but only had two Skylander Giants figures in stock. Seems like none of the Swap Force figures would be compatible, right?

Assuming I can cobble them together for less than $8 each, is it worth buying new figures? I'm not big on continuous outpourings of money, so will the three pack in figures be enough to wet a small child's appetite? If not, see previous question about how many figures should I budget to acquire.

Side note, this whole thing started when I wanted to get a Wii MotionPlus controller (old Wii came with the old less accurate Wii Remote). With retail on the controller alone being $40 and my daughter's interest in Skylanders, at least $40 for a Skylander starter pack, I figured buying this combo was a a decent deal. It's like I'm getting the Wii for free, right? Can I get a "rationalizing completely unnecessary purchase" hallelujah?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Skylanders? Tell me all about it.
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: April 19, 2014 06:49AM
A deal's a deal, right? I'm with you on that. I got hooked on Skylanders Giants around Christmas time when there was a deal on the starter pack. I'm playing it on a 3DS, but that's the only difference, AFAIK. How old is your daughter? I'm 54. LOL
The beginner characters are fine to play with, but if she gets to the point where she wants to beat the elemental gate challenges and such, she'll need to expand her force. eBay is a great source as the Giants are hard to find since Swap Force is the next generation, so to speak. They will not work with the Giants game, but the Giants work in the Swap Force game. However, the original series (also obsolete) will work in the Giants game.
Toys 'r Us seems to still have a decent selection of Giants and does run sales on them. I might pop in there today, in fact, because my (34 yo) son told me they're running a sale on them thru today. I'm up to about 24 characters now--mostly gained from either Toys 'r Us or eBay, but a few from Target (one character marked down to $4.99) and Gamestop (two characters and a cannon for $9.99).
My "deal" became an expensive hobby pretty quickly. But...I have a job. Does your daughter? ;)
Hope this was helpful!
smiley-signs003

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: Forrest
Date: April 19, 2014 08:00AM
Have fun with the set - my wife is hooked on Disney Infinity (and characters). FYI the same software company (Avalanche) wrote both Skylanders and Disney Infinity. In order to complete all levels, you will need to buy all the characters - could get expensive. I've seen some good sales at GameStop.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 19, 2014 08:54AM
Forrest
Have fun with the set - my wife is hooked on Disney Infinity (and characters). FYI the same software company (Avalanche) wrote both Skylanders and Disney Infinity. In order to complete all levels, you will need to buy all the characters - could get expensive. I've seen some good sales at GameStop.

I disagree with having to buy ALL the characters. You need specific ones, yes. But not all. I've completed Gaints before and we definitely don't have all the figures.

I got my daughter Skylanders Giants two Christmas's ago for the PS3 and after playing it for a bit she was most definitely not satisfied with the ones that came with the beginner's pack. Fortunately my brother had an xbox that came with a Skylanders game + some figures. And lo and behold they worked with the PS3. But we since bought a few more. I got her the Swap Force this past Christmas which she thoroughly enjoys but again, she wants more figures. Mostly just the ones she likes. Not for any special reason. We pick them up when they are on sale somewhere. She's not the type to kick and scream and want something now now now. So she is patient and knows it would be better to find a deal on one she wants.

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: April 19, 2014 12:29PM
Read online (joystik.com maybe) that the Infinity line is about to get an update with (a) Marvel characters and (b) Star Wars universe characters. I like the INfinithy line; I've never played the game but have to say the sculpts on the little figures is quite good. (A friend got me the Mike Wazowski to put on my desk. ("I hear it too. Hey, how many kids you got in there?"))

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 19, 2014 02:50PM
A Skylander for $1

[www.amazon.com]

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2014 02:58PM by Grateful11.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 19, 2014 02:50PM
Oops. Double post somehow.

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2014 02:58PM by Grateful11.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: April 19, 2014 05:42PM
Thanks for the Lightning Deal link. Unfortunately, it was 100% claimed when I checked. Looks like Toyrus has some old Spyro's Adventure figures on clearance, might grab some of those.

As far as "necessary characters", which ones are required and is it true you can't complete the game without specific additional characters?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 20, 2014 11:02AM
silvarios
Thanks for the Lightning Deal link. Unfortunately, it was 100% claimed when I checked. Looks like Toyrus has some old Spyro's Adventure figures on clearance, might grab some of those.

As far as "necessary characters", which ones are required and is it true you can't complete the game without specific additional characters?

there are certain areas where you need a fire skylander. Or a life skylander. Earth. Magic. Air etc. But you only really need one of each. Plus there are places only giants can go. So obviously you want one of those.

The new Swap Force game obviously took that into account and added a BUNCH more "gotchas" so you'd need more characters but you still don't need them all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 115
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020