advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Are these artifacts from Howard Hughes' flying boat?
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: April 30, 2014 12:25AM
Purchased from Ebay. The story is: they are from the estate of a fellow who "built the wings" for the Spruce Goose (properly known as the H-4 "Hercules"). The seller says he went to the estate sale and there were some pieces of furniture he'd made from the same laminated material but those had been sold.

Based on the number and thinness of the laminations, I'd say for sure this is aircraft plywood. The skin of the Goose was a material called "Duramold" and I don't think this is it. Duramold was a molded plywood. This looks to me like something that would be used to create structural parts.

There is a stamp (H?) on the bottom of one, and some pencil markings. Other than that, I don't know anything. I've asked the seller if he can come up with the name of the fellow who made these. Maybe he could be traced back to Hughes Aircraft.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Are these artifacts from Howard Hughes' flying boat?
Posted by: eustacetilley
Date: April 30, 2014 01:41AM
They look more architectural than structural; perhaps they are turned finials from the stairs leading to the second story Administration and Engineering Departments- "Mahogany Row".
But then again, the tops are rather strange with all those small holes. Matching salt and pepper shakers? Are they hollow?

Eustace
Posted by: DP
Date: April 30, 2014 06:42AM
Matching salt and pepper shakers? Are they hollow?

Looks like this to me. A cork in the bottom?
Posted by: Black
Date: April 30, 2014 07:34AM
I think I know how to solve this one.
Is there salt or pepper inside of either of them?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 30, 2014 08:05AM
Another vote for Salt & Pepper shakers.
Posted by: iaJim
Date: April 30, 2014 10:30AM
Looks like somebody's high school shop projects. Definitely salt and pepper shakers.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: April 30, 2014 10:58AM
They're wooden bombs for the wooden plane.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: April 30, 2014 11:22AM
But was there a galley on the Spruce Goose?

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: April 30, 2014 12:30PM
eustacetilley
They look more architectural than structural; perhaps they are turned finials from the stairs leading to the second story Administration and Engineering Departments- "Mahogany Row".
But then again, the tops are rather strange with all those small holes. Matching salt and pepper shakers? Are they hollow?

Eustace

Yeah: I forgot to point out they they are salt and pepper shakers. Therefore, not artifacts FROM the H-4 but maybe artifacts leftover from the construction.

damn you smiley

Here are some construction photos. There would have been A LOT of very fine wood leftover and a lot of talented woodworkers who liked to make stuff. The workmanship on this airplane is absolutely stunning.

A very staged photo, but you get the idea:

Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: April 30, 2014 02:00PM
My father in law worked for many years in the payroll department at Hughes Tool Company in Houston. Later in life he became very active in the Confederate Air Force Gulf Wing (sorry, but it will never be the "Commemorative Air Force to me). After he passed away in 1998 my mother in law was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, which with the fact that she had always stretched the truth, made for some interesting stories from her.

One that I will always remember was her telling people that whenever Howard Hughes came to Houston, he would call up father in law and invite him, my wife, and her brother to Conroe to go flying in the Spruce Goose. Why Conroe I do not know as they have no airport or if they do it would be for light planes only. Those who knew little about Hughes or the Goose probably thought it was true.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 141
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020