advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
can you drive anywhere on a Saturday?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 16, 2014 11:46AM
lately, it's just shy of gridlock in these parts on Saturdays. I've taken to not driving anywhere (if I can help it). I usually hoof it and we try to stay home during the day, maybe venture out by the evening.

just to be clear, the traffic is bad during M-F rush hour, but it's far worse during Saturdays.

what's it like in your neck of the woods?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: can you drive anywhere on a Saturday?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 16, 2014 11:55AM
Saturday is not quoted gridlock, but it's heavy.

I've got time during the week, I can stay in on Saturday and go out and about on Sunday, when it's lighter.

It's not bad enough to deter me if I really need to get something done, but it's a bigger kick back day than Sunday used to be.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 16, 2014 11:59AM
Before about 8:30 am, ghost town...
Then, moderate. Not as bad as a weekday afternoon though.

Of course, we don't have traffic like larger cities have traffic... not even close.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: archipirata
Date: May 16, 2014 11:59AM
Aside from this guy, the roads here have been pretty clear. Even on Saturdays.

Athens, OH
Posted by: hal
Date: May 16, 2014 12:03PM
Rush hour on Sat is minimal around here - sometimes not even visible. (Sacramento). However just west of sacramento traffic narrows to a four lane causeway (that runs over the wetlands that I often go to) and this area is often clogged on sundays with all of the traffic heading back to the SF bay area after the weekend.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 16, 2014 12:05PM
No problems. Cleveland center is only busy if there's a game on...

Or a thunderstorm produces flooding that causes road closings. Then it's a soggy mess.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 16, 2014 12:21PM
I avoid driving as much as possible. There is no good time to drive in L.A.

It is what it is.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 16, 2014 12:28PM
The highway is completely clear here. Not a car in sight.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 16, 2014 12:40PM
hal
Rush hour on Sat is minimal around here - sometimes not even visible. (Sacramento). However just west of sacramento traffic narrows to a four lane causeway (that runs over the wetlands that I often go to) and this area is often clogged on sundays with all of the traffic heading back to the SF bay area after the weekend.

its actually 3 lanes. =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: billb
Date: May 16, 2014 12:45PM
In a couple more weeks heading to the Cape will be rough on late-ish Friday and Saturday morning.

I used to put off my Boston jobs for weekend but I just closed all those accounts altogether. I'll pay the few extra bucks to fly out of Greene rather than Logan if the flight exists.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: hal
Date: May 16, 2014 12:50PM
jdc
hal

its actually 3 lanes. =)

oy! That's what I meant! :-)
Posted by: Black
Date: May 16, 2014 01:00PM
mrbigstuff
lately, it's just shy of gridlock in these parts on Saturdays. I've taken to not driving anywhere (if I can help it). I usually hoof it and we try to stay home during the day, maybe venture out by the evening.

just to be clear, the traffic is bad during M-F rush hour, but it's far worse during Saturdays.

what's it like in your neck of the woods?
And "these parts" is Fort Lee NJ, right?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: neophyte
Date: May 16, 2014 01:02PM
I'm not SUPPOSED to drive on Saturday, but the Almighty hasn't thrown a bolt of lightning my way yet, so......
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 16, 2014 01:35PM
Ahh, life in the big city. SO glad I made my retreat to northern MI back in '07 when I retired from my day job. Now I live in a resort/retirement small Podunk town with one traffic light. Never a traffic jam except maybe when it's time for the fireworks show on independence day. Then we get overrun!

It's so nice to drive around here. In less than 5 minutes I'm out on a country road similar to those pics posted above.

Ima never gonna leave these parts. Not interested in EVER going back to the rat race. The stress isn't worth it.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 16, 2014 01:51PM

not until sundown...
Posted by: DP
Date: May 16, 2014 02:03PM
I live were Rick-o fled from! Fortunately, I am self-employed with a home office so I rarely have to drive at rush hour. When I do have to, I wish I had an M1 Abrams...
Back in them olden days, I had a couple of jobs where I had to drive to downtown Detroit during rush hour and out of the city later. It was always jam packed going in to town and jam packed leaving in the afternoon.
Now it's like L.A.; the traffic is busy in all directions. I'm sure there are studies but I think it has to do with the population and businesses leaving Detroit and setting up in the 'burbs.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 16, 2014 02:18PM
Steve G.

Robby Benson? That photo must be ancient.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 16, 2014 02:54PM
N-OS,

1981. From the movie The Chosen, if I remember correctly.

Robert
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: May 16, 2014 04:43PM
no traffic issues, generally. maybe in dense-packed east atlantic seaboard, or california?
Posted by: davester
Date: May 16, 2014 06:10PM
Not too bad here in northern California, although the Bay Bridge or Golden Gate into or out of San Francisco gets choked up at times. Even so, that seldom adds more than a half hour of travel time.

Having lived in LA for a while, I'm now pretty immune from traffic. The traffic there was ten times worse than the SF area.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 16, 2014 09:31PM
There is no traffic here; something I love after living in heavy urban areas for 20 years.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 72
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020