advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
If I had a time machine...
Posted by: archipirata
Date: May 24, 2014 12:18PM
... I would use it to go back to when the carpet pad was installed in this house. I would proceed to find out who put the staples in and smack them furiously about the head yelling "20 staples per square foot is too #@!$ing many!"

Athens, OH
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: If I had a time machine...
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 24, 2014 12:21PM
sounds like someone did their job properly
Posted by: Catzilla
Date: May 24, 2014 12:42PM
Yeah, been there, OTOH too few is also a problem. Are you using a actual carpet staple remover?
I peeled up two layers of vinyl type floor covering and loads of carpet in my house. Carpet on the stairs was the worst. Luckily the floor cement was water soluble.
Date: May 24, 2014 12:51PM
actual carpet staple remover?

I never knew there was such a thing. And while I'm at it, that edge board with all the little nails sticking up to hold the carpet is EVIL! Plus they should be smacked for putting all this crap over the existing wood plank floor to begin with.

Athens, OH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2014 12:52PM by archipirata.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 24, 2014 01:20PM
Burn it. Burn it all.

It is what it is.
Date: May 24, 2014 01:32PM
And this carpet was IN THE KITCHEN! Who puts carpet in the kitchen?

Athens, OH
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 24, 2014 02:29PM
If you had a time machine a better use would be going back to 1998 and buying AAPL so you wouldn't have to concern yourself with such menial tasks ever again.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: eustacetilley
Date: May 24, 2014 06:03PM
Carpet staples...
When we moved into this house in May of 1972, the local kids told us that it was being sold because an old man had injured himself badly inside; it took days for him to die, and then be found.
Anyway, my parents got a good deal, and the carpets had been freshly cleaned.

Fast forward a decade, the parents move out, and I finally decide to get rid of that awful sneezy green living room carpet. (You really should see this coming...)
Up comes the carpet, with much sneezing, and up comes the pad, which was even sneezier, to reveal an absolutely pristine oak wood floor, covered in places with dried blood.

Well to be precise, covered in places with dried blood handprints. Whoever had stapled the carpet pad down had been a little careless.
My roommate at the time, a neighborhood kid from way back, almost threw up when she first saw them.

To this day, she tells the story funnier, and with more detail, because both she and my sister still believe the house is haunted. I, of course, believe no such thing, although I still can't explain The Case Of The Falling Wine Press.

Eustace.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: May 24, 2014 06:23PM
Speedy
If you had a time machine a better use would be going back to 1998 and buying AAPL so you wouldn't have to concern yourself with such menial tasks ever again.

agree smiley smiley-laughing001 goodone

Rolling on NICE carpeted floor.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Catzilla
Date: May 24, 2014 07:42PM
I worked with the carpet installer when we put carpets in our last house, the remover looked something like this:[www.tools4flooring.com]
but with a replaceable blade. Made things a lot easier. The wood strip is called "tackless" and it is a PITA to remove.
Kitchen? We had a carpeted bathroom, and it was just as bad as you can imagine it was. I replaced the floor down to the joists in places.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: May 25, 2014 07:32AM
When we added the second story to our small ranch house in 1996, we installed wall-to-wall carpet in all the bedrooms. Finally, last fall after a nightmarish night when one of our dogs went from room to with diarrhea, requiring a lot of cleaning, we decided to replace it all with hardwood. Expensive, but well worth it. Much easier vacuuming, much better looking, adds to the resale value of the house. I hope I never see any wall-to-wall again.

Fortunately, the hardwood guy took up all the carpeting, so I didn't have to deal with the tack strips—frightening things.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 25, 2014 04:08PM
Inquiring minds want to know: how much $$$$.

mrlynn
When we added the second story to our small ranch house in 1996, we installed wall-to-wall carpet in all the bedrooms. Finally, last fall after a nightmarish night when one of our dogs went from room to with diarrhea, requiring a lot of cleaning, we decided to replace it all with hardwood. Expensive, but well worth it. Much easier vacuuming, much better looking, adds to the resale value of the house. I hope I never see any wall-to-wall again.

Fortunately, the hardwood guy took up all the carpeting, so I didn't have to deal with the tack strips—frightening things.

/Mr Lynn

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: May 25, 2014 11:28PM
Speedy
Inquiring minds want to know: how much $$$$.

About $6,000 for c. 1,000 sq. ft. ($3,000 wood; $3,000 labor).

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: billb
Date: May 26, 2014 11:16AM
archipirata
And this carpet was IN THE KITCHEN! Who puts carpet in the kitchen?

I have wall to wall carpet in the kitchen.
I've never broken a glass dropping it on the floor.
Surprisingly, there's just three spots and two of them are white paint from the ceiling.

Ripping the old carpet out and moving a wall is on this Summer's honey-do list.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 156
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020