advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Wii U. Will it play old Wii games?
Posted by: chopper
Date: May 24, 2014 01:02PM
Youngest child is pressing for a new Wii U so as to play the new version of Mario Bros.

Does anyone know if the new Wii U will play his STACK of old wii games?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Wii U. Will it play old Wii games?
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: May 24, 2014 01:18PM
The old games should work, using the old Wii controllers.

The games don't show up just by popping in a disc. You have to run them by first launching them from an icon on the home screen. That seems to confuse some people.

You won't be able to use the giant Wii U game pad with them.

Online play for Wii games is now disabled.

Saves for games that have no online component can be transferred via SD card. If there's so much as an online leaderboard, the saves will not transfer this way.

There's a painful and long Wii-to-Wii U migration option for virtual console games, but beware that it wipes your Wii in the process and you need an uninterrupted Internet connection throughout the process or it could hose one or both of your devices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2014 01:24PM by Chakravartin.
Posted by: hotdogthemovie
Date: May 24, 2014 01:31PM
Chakravartin is correct. Wii runs in emulation, but it works good. I did not have a Wii prior to the Wii U we bought last Christmas, so I don't have any experience moving saves from Wii to Wii U. Wii controllers work with Wii U.

Mario Kart 8 coming later this month! I pre-ordered it several months back, and now I hear that if you buy MK 8, you have a choice of 1 of 4 older games for free.

If you want to save a few bucks, check the Nintendo website for refurbs... they have been advertised for $200 with a game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2014 01:32PM by hotdogthemovie.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: May 24, 2014 02:18PM
Chakravartin
You won't be able to use the giant Wii U game pad with them.

You can use the Wii U Gamepad for Off-TV play, however, you still need Wii controllers to play. Weird, eh?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 159
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020