AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
couple of interesting science/health articles
Posted by: Fritz
Date: June 01, 2014 10:04PM
[www.nytimes.com]

[www.nytimes.com]

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: couple of interesting science/health articles
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: June 02, 2014 06:12AM
no thanks to bacteria experimentation.
other has a paywall/registration.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: June 02, 2014 08:42AM
Both very interesting articles; thanks, Fritz.

I have long wondered about the benefits of our contemporary obsession with soaps and other cleansing nostrums. Not only may we be washing off the good bacteria, but we might be making it easier for the bad ones to affect us.

The article on neuro-electrical interactions with the immune system made me wonder whether there might be some real benefit to acupuncture after all—I've always been dubious about its claims.

The NYT didn't stop me with a paywall on either article. I'm not a subscriber, so count myself lucky this time

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: June 02, 2014 08:44AM
mrlynn
The NYT didn't stop me with a paywall on either article. I'm not a subscriber, so count myself lucky this time

didn't wanna mess wit no yankee hillbilly

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2014 08:44AM by Fritz.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: June 02, 2014 10:40AM
Interesting about Nitrosomonas eutropha. Though I'm wondering why they are testing this particular species when it is known that humans excrete urea, not ammonia, and unless genetically engineered, this species does not have urease to convert the urea to ammonia and carbon dioxide.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: June 02, 2014 11:09AM
neophyte
Interesting about Nitrosomonas eutropha. Though I'm wondering why they are testing this particular species when it is known that humans excrete urea, not ammonia, and unless genetically engineered, this species does not have urease to convert the urea to ammonia and carbon dioxide.

It's for skin, not urethral, application. Didn't the article say something about sweat containing ammonia?

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: neophyte
Date: June 02, 2014 11:43AM
mrlynn
neophyte

It's for skin, not urethral, application. Didn't the article say something about sweat containing ammonia?

/Mr Lynn

Sweat contains urea, so any ammonia on our skin depends on other bacterial species breaking down the urea to ammonia and carbon dioxide. And both are volatile, so I would imagine that levels of both on our skin would be minimal. But yes, undoubtedly trace amounts of ammonia could be detectable in our sweat.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 184
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020