Will Castle Black fall?
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: June 10, 2014 12:19PM
No book-readers allowed to speculate/comment. smiling smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Will Castle Black fall?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 10, 2014 12:23PM
All bets are off. That mammoth looked pretty pissed.
Date: June 10, 2014 12:28PM
Why are all the COOL things NORTH of the wall?
And feisty hot chicks...
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: June 10, 2014 12:36PM
Can I just say, in a world where information spreads globally at the speed of light, where spoilers are inevitable, those of us who've read the books have done a remarkable job of not telling everybody what happens next? Seriously, the red wedding, Joff's wedding, now Castle Black and Tyrion's predicament?

I could probably even tell you who will win this Game of Thrones. Certainly, there will be a big reveal in book 7 (or book 8): somebody is not exactly who we thought, and that will change everything.
Date: June 10, 2014 12:38PM
Yes, you're so great. Pat yourself on the back, will you?

Can I just say that they should change MAJOR PLOT LINES in the show, imo, like leaving __________ alive.

Just to EFF with you book-learned fools! smiling smileyMake you cry, and find NO ONE empathizing with your predicament. LOL (Like FOUR endings to CLUE : the movie) HAHA j/k tic lol smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2014 12:39PM by Mini 9.
Date: June 10, 2014 12:45PM
Mini 9

Can I just say that they should change MAJOR PLOT LINES in the show, imo, like leaving __________ alive.

Just to EFF with you book-learned fools! smiling smileyMake you cry, and find NO ONE empathizing with your predicament. LOL (Like FOUR endings to CLUE : the movie) HAHA j/k tic lol smiling smiley

The death of ____________ sets some key events into motion. It would require some goofy acrobatics to let him live and keep the overall arc of the books. Besides, if you keep a character just because he's a fan favorite and a popular actor, suddenly there's no tension in the show. It's great tv because nobody is safe.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 10, 2014 12:48PM
Loving the series...
Loving the books...

I shall spoil nothing, for anyone... as that too is my pet peeve.

I AM impatient with the books and the series at times... I want them to get back to a particular story-line NOW... not 400 pages from now.. etc.

I know who I WANT to win the Game of Thrones... but I have no idea where it's going to end up. And I like that!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: June 10, 2014 12:51PM
Mike Johnson
Mini 9

The death of ____________ sets some key events into motion. It would require some goofy acrobatics to let him live and keep the overall arc of the books. Besides, if you keep a character just because he's a fan favorite and a popular actor, suddenly there's no tension in the show. It's great tv because nobody is safe.

Have to reluctantly agree. As much as I like some of the characters - things must unfold as things unfold... No one is safe.
I will be upset if a couple of the characters die... sure... but if it must be, it must be.

(and I've read that far in the books, so I know who you mean...)

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: June 10, 2014 12:51PM
Mike Johnson
Mini 9

The death of ____________ sets some key events into motion. It would require some goofy acrobatics to let him live and keep the overall arc of the books.

I would not call writing acrobatics. "MORE" writing I'd call GAINFUL EMPLOYMENT... smiling smiley

tons of written stories are changed, re-changed, re-imagined, spoofed, copied, etc.. and life goes on... well except for that ________ dude... cuz' he's DEAD!(JIM)
Date: June 10, 2014 12:54PM
We know who will win... smiling smiley

Posted by: rgG
Date: June 10, 2014 01:55PM
I now sit on the Iron Throne, thank you very much.
Did I mention my maiden name was Lannister? tongue sticking out smiley

This was taken weekend before last at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens.
I told my daughter, that I had to sit on the Iron Throne.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: June 10, 2014 02:03PM
LOL!
That's awesome! :-)
If you mention that you have a brother you're close to... really close to... I'm gonna get a little creeped out though...
;)

rgG
I now sit on the Iron Throne, thank you very much.
Did I mention my maiden name was Lannister? tongue sticking out smiley

This was taken weekend before last at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens.
I told my daughter, that I had to sit on the Iron Throne.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: June 10, 2014 02:05PM
Paul F.
LOL!
If you mention that you have a brother you're close to... really close to... I'm gonna get a little creeped out though...
;)

Ha, ha. Just joking about the maiden name, and I am an only child, so no creepy brother. But if I did have a brother that looked like The Kingslayer...devil smiley

Date: June 10, 2014 02:11PM
Yeah, well... if I had a sister that looked like Cersei, I'd need therapy... and a lot of hand lotion... (yeah yeah... too much information... ).

rgG
Paul F.
LOL!
;)

Ha, ha. Just joking about the maiden name, and I am an only child, so no creepy brother. But if I did have a brother that looked like The Kingslayer...devil smiley

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: DP
Date: June 10, 2014 02:22PM
I thought it was one of the better episodes. Although...

But, yes, I know, it's all fiction...
Date: June 10, 2014 02:52PM
Ok, I sat there and thought the whole wall and all its defense systems/mechanisms are effenbrilliant!
The thing DP mentions was grand.

Ok, is ANY of the story supposed to be kind of shadow/copy UK (Wales, England, Scotland) history/lore?
Seems GRRM as well as Tolkien, etc spin tales that could convince me... in otherwords... not desert southwest, sunny beaches, etc....
Posted by: Black
Date: June 10, 2014 03:27PM
I think my last fall was about a year and a half ago.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 10, 2014 03:56PM
I read the books and I think the show does a much better job of moving the action along and streamlining some of Martin's more elaborate curlicues.

There are budget considerations limiting the portrayal of the clash of vast armies, but hey, it's cable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2014 03:57PM by Steve G..
Date: June 10, 2014 04:26PM
it's CABLE? huh....
Date: June 10, 2014 04:41PM
Ok, is ANY of the story supposed to be kind of shadow/copy UK (Wales, England, Scotland) history/lore?

I think it's more like LOTR fantasy-mammoths were gone long before that advanced of a civilization around the British Isles, or any civilization for that matter.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: June 10, 2014 05:29PM
He's a fan of history, and uses the medieval period as basis for the series. From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_R._R._Martin
In 1991 Martin briefly returned to writing novels and began what would eventually turn into his epic fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire, which was inspired by the Wars of the Roses and Ivanhoe.

and:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_R._R._Martin
In fact, the author makes a point of grounding his work on a foundation of historical fiction, which he channels to evoke important social and political elements of primarily the European medieval era that differ markedly from elements of modern times, including the multigenerational, rigid, and often brutally consequential nature of the hierarchical class system of feudal societies[38] that is in many cases overlooked in fantasy writing.

I guess the darkness, gloominess and brutality with no long-lasting "hero(s)" is keeping me from the series. Much has been said about the comparison to Lord of the Rings and Martin's influence by it, but at least Tolkien had some brightness and a positive resolution.
Date: June 10, 2014 06:27PM
All I will say is, I can't believe they killed Ned. And that isn't a spoiler, since it was in season one.
After that, I knew no one was safe.

I have read all but the last book, and my husband keeps asking questions that I have to refuse to answer.

Date: June 10, 2014 06:27PM
“Bran” means “raven” in Welsh; Bran the Blessed was a king and his fate may foretell that of his namesake.
Date: June 10, 2014 06:46PM
I guess the darkness, gloominess and brutality with no long-lasting "hero(s)" is keeping me from the series. Much has been said about the comparison to Lord of the Rings and Martin's influence by it, but at least Tolkien had some brightness and a positive resolution.

I figure someone will claim the throne that has some positive qualities... I think Khalisi is a positive influence for her ending slavery in the city/states she conquers-even if she does punish the offenders rather nastily. But ancient societies always treated conquered peoples very nastily; looting, pillaging, raping, and making slaves of the conquered. Hell, it was their right!

and my husband keeps asking questions that I have to refuse to answer.

Tell him you'll have to throw him out the Moon Door if he keeps it up!
Date: June 10, 2014 07:07PM
rgG
All I will say is, I can't believe they killed Ned. And that isn't a spoiler, since it was in season one.
After that, I knew no one was safe.

I was expecting a last second rescue of some kind... right up until the sword fell. That's when I knew I was hooked. Take and develop a GREAT character like that, then kill him? There really are no "minor" characters in Game of Thrones.. and that's what I like about it.

DP
and my husband keeps asking questions that I have to refuse to answer.

Tell him you'll have to throw him out the Moon Door if he keeps it up!

"Make him fly!".. grinning smiley

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: bik
Date: June 10, 2014 07:30PM
Sam3

No disputing the darkness. It's absolutely an R-rated story, often pushing NC-17.
The LoTR books were very family friendly.

However, I will dispute the "no long-lasting heroes" comment. There are more than a couple characters who were there at the beginning, and they are still there, going strong (and in some cases getting stronger) at the end of the fifth book. Some of them didn't start out as obvious "heroes," but they are there.

Mike Johnson
“Bran” means “raven” in Welsh; Bran the Blessed was a king and his fate may foretell that of his namesake.

Jeez. People who didn't know that, didn't need to know that. Always someone who has to show how smart they are. Yeah, I know it's not an actual spoiler, but smiley-talk034
Posted by: srf1957
Date: June 11, 2014 12:21AM
I thought when saw topic therewas Steven Brust fans and someone had a preview his new book.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: June 11, 2014 12:21AM
I thought when saw topic there was Steven Brust fans and someone had a preview his new book.
Posted by: eustacetilley
Date: June 11, 2014 12:36AM
srf1957
I thought when saw topic there was Steven Brust fans and someone had a preview his new book.

Since this was repeated twice, and was even less comprehensible the second time, may I suggest:

[www.theregister.co.uk]

Eustace
Posted by: eustacetilley
Date: June 11, 2014 12:56AM
I'm sorry, srf1957, my posting was totally uncalled for.
And that is why I won't edit out what I initially posted, although that is a thing very easy to do.

Eustace
Posted by: dk62
Date: June 11, 2014 06:30AM
I am a Steven Brust fan and i know what you mean, but I am also GRRM fan (maybe growing leas so with the last book and the interminable wait before and after it).
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 11, 2014 03:30PM
I guess the darkness, gloominess and brutality with no long-lasting "hero(s)" is keeping me from the series.

That's all true, more or less.

I'm not a fan of the graphic brutality, so I just move past it, when I can.

But for me, family friendly or no, the Lord of the Rings franchise was far more darker, far more evil than Thrones. Ok, Geoffery was pretty evil.

The part about no long-lasting heroes… The Brits are really tough on heroes. At least on the small screen. Many, many of their TV series kills off someone who has been a heroic lead for some time, not just a Red Shirt that gets killed in the first episode.

US series have picked up on this trend in more recent times.

And yeah, Ned's plot line sucked.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 160
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020