Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Radio Shack valued at zero
Posted by: davemchine
Date: June 13, 2014 01:23PM
[blogs.marketwatch.com]

Anybody ready to buy stock? I can't see the radio shack name going away. It has a lot of pull with the older generation.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Radio Shack valued at zero
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 13, 2014 01:27PM
If the stock price hits that analyst's target of $0.00, I might buy all available shares.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 13, 2014 01:29PM
Um.. No. The older generation may remember Radio Shack. But we don't shop there any more than we shop at any other obsolete shop. Anyone who has entered a radio shack knows that they are pretty much functionally useless for electronic parts these days.
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: June 13, 2014 01:41PM
My local franchisee banned me from their store for complaining about quality after I returned a third defective soldering iron. Methinks they're running a tax write off scheme, as no one is ever in the store when I've visited. No great loss if they fold.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 13, 2014 01:42PM
If it goes to zero it will be liquidated in bankruptcy and existing holders will get nothing regardless of if the name lives on.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: June 13, 2014 01:43PM
davemchine
I can't see the radio shack name going away. It has a lot of pull with the older generation.

Woolworth's also had a lot of pull with the older generation yet it went defunct in 1997.

wikipedia
The F. W. Woolworth Company (often referred to as Woolworth's, or Woolworth) was a retail company that was one of the original pioneers, and arguably the most successful American and international five-and-dime stores, setting trends and creating the modern retail model which stores follow worldwide today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2014 01:45PM by TheTominator.
Posted by: 3d
Date: June 13, 2014 01:44PM
TheTominator
davemchine
I can't see the radio shack name going away. It has a lot of pull with the older generation.

Soe did Woolworth's.

And Blockbuster (?).
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 13, 2014 01:49PM
I was indebted for a long time to RadioShack for the wonderful deal that was posted on the old site for ReplayTV.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: June 13, 2014 02:06PM
3d
And Blockbuster (?).

"I'm not dead yet!"

[www.mnn.com]
Posted by: lost in space
Date: June 13, 2014 02:14PM
nwyaker
My local franchisee banned me from their store for complaining about quality after I returned a third defective soldering iron. Methinks they're running a tax write off scheme, as no one is ever in the store when I've visited. No great loss if they fold.

We were in a bind for some IC's in the 90s, needed them right now. Went to Radio Shack, bought some, but our stuff didn't work. Couldn't fig out why; everything seemed to be working. Checked out what we'd bought at RS, and none of them met spec.

Posted by: DavidS
Date: June 13, 2014 02:42PM
They've gone downhill since they stopped the Battery of the Month Club.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 13, 2014 02:59PM
and Heathkit still meanders on...

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 13, 2014 03:00PM
I still use the USB Scale. I think that was the last time I was in a Radio Shack store.
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: June 13, 2014 03:02PM
GGD
I still use the USB Scale. I think that was the last time I was in a Radio Shack store.

Still cranking along here too.grinning smiley
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 13, 2014 03:09PM
Anyone who has entered a radio shack knows that they are pretty much functionally useless for electronic parts these days.

I still go to Radio Shack on occasion for the odd electronic/electric part.

They tried to be a consumer store, but there is way too much competition.

I'd like them to be more of a parts store, but like Mac Pirates, there just aren't enough DIYers to sustain that business model.

It's a Consumer World and RS is not a Consumer Store, nor can they be.

And their staff is most always clueless. Even when they gets somebody in who really knows what they're talking about, and that's rare, they don't last long.

Unfortunately, if it wasn't for the iPhone, I think they would have gone under much sooner.

I bought a lot of 1N34As, 2N107s, and 555s over the years.

I'll miss them.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 13, 2014 04:05PM
Buzz

Isn't that one of the new Apple products?

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 13, 2014 04:11PM

Not as a consumer oriented company.

And aren't they pretty much stagnant, at the moment?

As a builder of several Heathkits, I'd like to see them resurface, and not as a name sold to some foreign schlock-monger.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: June 13, 2014 06:16PM
I bought something from RS just last month. First time in years. Mac-related, too, sort of. Remember those box-like 4.5v PRAM batteries that Apple used years ago. Well, nobody makes 'em anymore. But of course one could use 3x1.5v AA batteries in series. So who has a case for 3 AA batteries? Radio Shack, online. But I wanted to see it first, so my local RS got some in. Looked ok, so I bought two (daughter wants to keep her Starmax clones running 'til long after I'm dead and gone).
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: June 13, 2014 06:38PM
I interviewed at Heathkit.
I just taught my sons some basics of electronics using a very heathkit-ish thing from Frys. They seemed to LOVE it. Sadly, it's pretty much all scholarly exercises now.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: June 13, 2014 07:23PM
neophyte
I bought something from RS just last month. First time in years. Mac-related, too, sort of. Remember those box-like 4.5v PRAM batteries that Apple used years ago. Well, nobody makes 'em anymore...

??

[www.newertech.com]

Hmmm... Yeah, getting hard to find in stock. You know that the Rayovac 844 is supposed to be a drop-in replacement?

...And that seems to no longer be manufactured, too.

Sucks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2014 07:42PM by Chakravartin.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: June 14, 2014 08:33AM
I too would like to thank RS for the sub-$200 lifetime ReplayTV that I used for nearly a decade.

I forget what the official term is, but the "Radio Shack in the local hardware" co-branded stores (not standalone) are still widespread and valuable in smaller towns where a Wal-Mart is an hour or more away.

I can see those continuing after the standalones are gone.
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: June 14, 2014 06:50PM
RS's main problem is that their everyday prices aren't very good. I bought my current phone there a few months back because it was half price, even though their weekly email didn't mention it. I just happened to walk in that day, and there it was.

That kind of thing's the only reason I even go in there.
Posted by: rz
Date: June 16, 2014 07:32AM
I went in there a couple of years ago looking for an AC adapter. All they had was a generic "one size fits all" one, and they wanted $30 for it. Thankfully, I remembered our town has a cool, funky electronics supply store that has all kinds of new and used electronics stuff. They had the exact adapter I needed, and I think I paid $4 for it. That store (Skycraft, just north of Orlando) is almost always crowded, and is a family owned business that's been around a long time. They used to have a little spaceship/UFO on top of their sign that was visible from the interstate, but it came off during a hurricane 10 years ago.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 80
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020