advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
pRON, what is a good general purpose wide-angle lens for the digital rebel xt?
Posted by: clay
Date: September 27, 2006 03:17PM
to pRON, or anyone who knows anything about canon lenses,

I've gotten approval to get a wide-angle lens for our rebel xt here at work. I don't want a fixed angle lens, so I guess I'm looking more in a zoom lens with a fairly wide end. We just have the kit lens right now, so wider than that is a must. We don't have a huge need for telephoto at the other end of the spectrum, so the wide aspect is most important.

I see a lot of lenses out there, but don't really know what would be the most useful or smartest for us to get.

Is there any point in looking at anything other than canon lenses? I've heard varying reports about some other brands. We definitely want quality, but don't want to break the bank.

any ideas? thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: pRON, what is a good general purpose wide-angle lens for the digital rebel xt?
Posted by: pRON aHOLIC
Date: September 27, 2006 03:29PM
What is the budget and what are a few specific things you hope to shoot with it? How wide is wide to you?

-------------------------------------------------------

Join team 38910 folding! [folding.stanford.edu] multi cpu-[calxalot.homeip.net]
Re: pRON, what is a good general purpose wide-angle lens for the digital rebel xt?
Date: September 27, 2006 03:42PM
we don't need fisheye. I say that because my impression of fisheye is that it's very distorted at least on the edges. I would generally say that that particular type of image is not useful to us very frequently, but might be used on occasion. We need something a little more realistic in nature, I think (if that makes sense to you).

one client that we've been doing a lot of shooting for recently does commercial-scale HVAC installations. So we're talking huge boiler rooms and chiller plants for things like hospitals, universities, etc. another client is a large construction company--we often do photography of finished projects (range from small commercial buildings to office buildings to large warehouses and everything in-between).

budget-wise, I don't know what a decent lens costs, so I'd say somewhere between $500-1000. Is that a realistic expectation?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2006 03:44PM by clay.
Date: September 27, 2006 03:53PM
looking at the canon lens lineup, it seems like there are several decent options--the 10-22 or 16-35 or 17-40. The kit lens is an 18-55, I think, so it seems like the 10-22 might be the most useful option to us--the others aren't much wider than the kit lens, although I know that they're probably higher quality glass.

[www.usa.canon.com]

looks like the 10-22 is $689 from b&h--sounds like it fits right in my price range.

are there other manufacturers worth looking at for this lens?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2006 03:58PM by clay.
Posted by: CharlieStango
Date: September 27, 2006 04:56PM
Stick with the canon lens. I think the 16 - 35 would give you a better range. The 10 - 22 is very limiting. If you can spent a little more go with (Canon Zoom Super Wide Angle EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Autofocus Lens for Select Digital Cameras) it's a great lens.
Posted by: The Rock
Date: September 27, 2006 04:56PM
The Canon 10-22 and 17-40 would be the two that coome to mind right away.

It gets kinds of complicated though. A 10-22mm on aps-c will be about 16mm. Do you want something that wide? This lens will be useable on aps-c type cameras like the XT, XTI, 20D, 30D and future aps-c sized chips only.

The 17-40mm will give a field of view closer to 27-64mm. Is the 24mm wide enough for you. If not then the 10-22 would be your wide angle choice. This lens can be used on all canon cameras including the bigger chip 1D mark 2N and 5D. It is not aps-c only.
Date: September 27, 2006 05:13PM
D'OH! The above comment from The Rock is the account my brother left signed on to. Sorry about that.

Posted by: thermarest
Date: September 27, 2006 05:35PM
Canon 10-22
Date: September 27, 2006 05:35PM
I feel like I need something that's wider than the 18mm that is already on the stock lens. So the 17-40(27-64) doesn't go much wider than the existing lens, correct?

I just read reviews on both lenses--the 10-22 and 17-40-and they both get great reviews. I guess it just boils down to how much $$ my bosses are willing to drop on the lens. I also glanced at the 17-55 and 16-35 as well, and they look really nice, but both are probably out of our price range.

So....it's back to the 10-22 vs. 17-40. The 17 is clearly more versatile, but the 10 can go wider. It's a tough choice, and I'll probably talk through it with my bosses to make a decision.

more thoughts are welcome.
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: September 27, 2006 05:41PM
I have a whole bag full of Canon lenses that I use with my 20D but have recently bought two, both with image stabilization, that I think will cover most needs.

The first is the EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM, which I bought slightly used for $375 from someone in the texasphotoforum.com group. B&H Photo sells it for $510 with US warranty. Here is a link to the Canon page for the 17-85mm:

[www.usa.canon.com]

The second is the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, which arrived today. Cost was $560 from B&H Photo.

Here is a link to the Canon page for the 70-300mm:

[www.usa.canon.com]

A third lens which I will probably continue to use is the EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM. Here is the link to the Canon Page for the 100mm Macro:

[www.usa.canon.com]

B&H sells this one for $470.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: September 27, 2006 08:17PM
Since you already have teh 18-55 kit lens. Check out teh Tokina 12-24 or Sigma has a nice 10-20mm lens. Tamron makes an 11-18

From what I have read, the Tokina is a very nice lens

"he is going to start WW3!!!!"
Posted by: wowzer
Date: September 27, 2006 09:43PM
pRon and et al,

Isn't there something about third parties having trouble with the AF of the Canon's? I ran into many reports of problems while researching my Sigma 18-200. Does this translate into other Sigma lenses?

Just curious.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: Andrew
Date: September 27, 2006 09:59PM
I recently bought the Sigma 10-20 for Nikon. It's $500, so if price is an issue it's a good choice. I'm happy enough with it, although it does not blow me away. Keep in mind though that it is for the smaller chip cameras only (won't cover full-sized sensor).
Posted by: Spock
Date: September 27, 2006 10:23PM
If you think that one day you will upgrade to a full frame camera then check out the Sigma 12 - 24 mm. It will cover full frame 35mm. I use it on my EOS 5 (film) and my EOS 5D. Its wide; very, very wide.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Date: September 28, 2006 12:29AM
wowzer
pRon and et al,

Isn't there something about third parties having trouble with the AF of the Canon's? I ran into many reports of problems while researching my Sigma 18-200. Does this translate into other Sigma lenses?

Just curious.

Nikon and canon regularly try some sort of tweak that gives 3rd party lenses some problems as newer camera come out. I am not surprised at all by this. It is their way of encouraging you to buy their lenses.

Posted by: DP
Date: September 28, 2006 06:01AM
I have the Canon 17-40 f4 L lens and while I'm generally happy with it there is some barrel distortion at its widest. I have had some issues with it; e.g., using it for a QTVR program but for general use it's fine. The 10-22 has a small amount, too. It's interesting that it seems acceptable for Canon, Nikon, and other lens makers to settle for some distortion just to have a large focal length range.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

CW2V , kj
Guests: 211
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020