advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Yom Kippur
Posted by: DP
Date: September 28, 2006 06:29AM
Is it customary to give a gift for Yom Kippur and if so, what? TIA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2006 06:29AM by DP.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Yom Kippur
Posted by: jardster
Date: September 28, 2006 06:45AM
No. It is the holiest day of the year, one where you repent for your sins, think of the people you have wronged, and plan for a better year next year if you are inscribed in the book of life. We fast from sundown (this year Sunday evening) until sundown (Monday). After sundown, many families have a big dinner, a break the fast. If you were invited to that, you could ask if there is any food they would like you to bring. Otherwise, no gifts.

Posted by: buggerd
Date: September 28, 2006 07:13AM
I usually like to bring a few cartons of that pre-cooked bacon that you only have to heat in the microwave a few seconds. And some Maylasian shrimp crackers.
Posted by: Chupa Chupa
Date: September 28, 2006 07:50AM
buggerd
I usually like to bring a few cartons of that pre-cooked bacon that you only have to heat in the microwave a few seconds. And some Maylasian shrimp crackers.

You must go to a reformed break the fast then.

Jewish Holidays OK to give gifts: Hanukkah, Purim (especially alcohol), my birthday (but only if the gift is to me).

Gifts not realy appropriate on any other holiday. Greeting card OK on Rosh Hashannah.
Posted by: dmann
Date: September 28, 2006 09:05AM
jardster nailed it. While it is true that the term "holiday" usually implies something festive, in this case it is truly a holy-day and it is pretty somber.

May you have an easy fast-
DM
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 28, 2006 12:37PM
yep, jardster nailed it, but if you are invited to a break the fast gig, and have a talent for gracefully wheedling info out of people [Mrs. Buzz does], you can find out what's on the menu and who's coming, you can do some behind the scenes consorting with other guests and all bring just the right thing. sometimes people bring dishes they are "famous" for. the goal is to enhance the fast breaking experience for all, but definitely not show up anyone in the process... that is reserved for the over-the-top Bar Mitzvah competition... [which Chupa Chupa evidently wishes to relive annually B)]

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 152
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020