advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mac Mini cheap on ebay ... roll the dice .. BUY IT NOW for less than $65
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: June 22, 2014 06:30AM
I bought one for $50 recently that had no hard drive. Now it's my wife's primary computer.

Here are a couple more that if you have the proper pieces lying around OR want to get SSD or such, OR want to just have something to experiment on/with...

$65 2 Ghz drive-less... [bit.ly]
$38 1.83 Ghz - would be more of a project, but hey try your luck! [bit.ly]

These are just the ones that you can BUY NOW. Watch and wait and you might get better deal in traditional auction.

You can always re-list these if they don't meet your satisfaction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2014 06:30AM by Mini 9.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mac Mini cheap on ebay ... roll the dice .. BUY IT NOW for less than $65
Posted by: p8712
Date: June 22, 2014 07:40AM
Darn it, I have a spare SSD lying around, but no mac mini power supply. Thanks for the deals. Keep on listin'!
Posted by: decay
Date: June 22, 2014 09:23AM
$65 + $15 = $80

"this desktop is missing the slot drive, C-MOS battery, and hard drive. Also, the cover does not set properly with the base of the desktop. Cables, power adapter, slot drive, hard drive, battery, and documentation are not included."

---
Date: June 22, 2014 10:25AM
I don't discount the possibility that someone could live near the seller.
Or, if it does NOT sell, having watched the listing, it might get RElisted at lower price.

Stop putting up roadblocks; be creative; use that effort to make it work. Cheer UP!
Posted by: Black
Date: June 22, 2014 12:28PM
Mini 9
I bought one for $50 recently that had no hard drive. Now it's my wife's primary computer.

And the lack of a hard drive doesn't bother her?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: June 22, 2014 12:34PM
I'm thinking of getting some kind of computer to power a monitor on the wall, for a digital picture frame. Maybe a low-budget Mini would fit the bill. I was thinking of one of my surplus P3/P4 Dells, but that would probably require a video card.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: June 22, 2014 02:18PM
mylynn,
A think a Rasberry Pi would be a better, low cost/low power option for a digital picture frame.
Posted by: billb
Date: June 22, 2014 02:28PM
Black
Mini 9

And the lack of a hard drive doesn't bother her?

memory schmemory - there's lots of ways to use a mini
even though some mini are good for nothing

I've heard but unsubstantiated that one through eight were duds too

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2014 02:31PM by billb.
Date: June 22, 2014 03:03PM
well, I jumped right on "9" when the getting was GOOD!

I can't believe no one had registered Mini 9 name here

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: LyleH
Date: June 22, 2014 04:03PM
mrlynn
I'm thinking of getting some kind of computer to power a monitor on the wall, for a digital picture frame. Maybe a low-budget Mini would fit the bill. I was thinking of one of my surplus P3/P4 Dells, but that would probably require a video card.

/Mr Lynn

I bought an iPad 1 for $114 including shipping about a month ago. I use it as a digital photo frame. I wanted to be sure I had a way to randomly display the photos. The slideshow feature in "Photos" does exactly what I want. It runs iOS 5.1.1 (and nothing newer). And it has wireless. So I can use it as a temporary backup of one of our other 2 iPads have a problem. (iPad 2's are available for around $200)

I have 600 photos in the iPad, and I have 13 GB left of memory - so there's plenty of room for lots of pics. Also, the iPad is much better for off-center viewing than the digital photo frame I used to use.

When I tried to download an app from iTunes for it, iTunes asked me if I want to download the newest version that will work with iOS 5.1.1. So I said "yes". So iTunes does check what iOS & hardware you're running. LyleH
Date: June 22, 2014 08:19PM
LyleH

I bought an iPad 1 for $114 including shipping about a month ago. I use it as a digital photo frame. I wanted to be sure I had a way to randomly display the photos. The slideshow feature in "Photos" does exactly what I want. It runs iOS 5.1.1 (and nothing newer). And it has wireless. So I can use it as a temporary backup of one of our other 2 iPads have a problem. (iPad 2's are available for around $200)

The thing is, I want to to mount it on the wall, like a painting, so much larger than an iPad—maybe 24", maybe even larger.

/Mr Lynn
Date: June 22, 2014 08:35PM
Don't most new tv's have usb ports in them nowadays? a 24 or 32 inch set mounted to the the wall playing a slide show from a thumb drive would be your best option. It'd use a heck of a lot less power than an old mini.

mrlynn
LyleH

The thing is, I want to to mount it on the wall, like a painting, so much larger than an iPad—maybe 24", maybe even larger.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: June 22, 2014 08:53PM
mrlynn
LyleH

/Mr Lynn

In that case, I second the Raspberry Pi suggestion. Yeah, Linux is a PITA to configure compared to a Mac, but for $30, hard to beat, especially if the screen has a USB port suitable to power the Pi.
Date: June 22, 2014 08:57PM
p8712
Don't most new tv's have usb ports in them nowadays? a 24 or 32 inch set mounted to the the wall playing a slide show from a thumb drive would be your best option. It'd use a heck of a lot less power than an old mini.

Interesting. Can you program them to play a slide show (random or sequential, user-specified change interval)? And would the they reproduce the high-res photos adequately without an external video card?

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: decay
Date: June 23, 2014 08:52AM
Raspberry Pi Powered Presentation Screen
[www.jonathansblog.net]

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2014 09:01AM by decay.
Date: June 23, 2014 01:56PM
mrlynn
p8712

Interesting. Can you program them to play a slide show (random or sequential, user-specified change interval)? And would the they reproduce the high-res photos adequately without an external video card?

/Mr Lynn

My Samsung Tv's from 10, 5, 2, and 1 year ago all do. Any FAT formatted usb drive, (flash or hard drive) is recognized and the photos look great. I'm sure many, many other brands can do this too. Load a few sample pictures onto a thumb drive and visit the store, I'm sure they'll let you try it out on the floor models.

Edit: it's built into the TV's firmware with occasional updates. I'm sure a pi or mini is more sophisticated, but for a giant frame, its not necessary unless you wanted the Ken Burns effect, or something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2014 01:59PM by p8712.
Date: June 23, 2014 03:11PM
@ p8712: I just remembered that our 55" Samsung TV has two USB ports. So I tried a thumb drive with a gig of pictures on it. Works fine! Three options for speed of slide show. Doesn't look as though there's a 'random' option; also doesn't restart the slide show automatically when you turn on the TV; but this TV is 4-5 years old, so maybe others will be more flexible.

While the Pi sounds interesting, and all that fancy programming in the blog post that decay links to might be an education (for a command-line phobe like me), it sure sounds like buying a USB-capable TV will be a no-brain way to go. Guess I won't even need the cabinet I had mounted on the other side of the wall (during our bathroom renovation); I was planning to put the computer in it.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Date: June 23, 2014 06:41PM
mrlynn
@ p8712: I just remembered that our 55" Samsung TV has two USB ports. So I tried a thumb drive with a gig of pictures on it. Works fine! Three options for speed of slide show. Doesn't look as though there's a 'random' option; also doesn't restart the slide show automatically when you turn on the TV; but this TV is 4-5 years old, so maybe others will be more flexible.

Great, now you'll have to come up with some other excuse to buy a mini!
Date: June 23, 2014 07:33PM
p8712
mrlynn

Great, now you'll have to come up with some other excuse to buy a mini!

Actually, I think my next Mac will be an Air—as soon as I can figure out how to use one with an external optical drive on an Amfleet coach seat tray (about the same size as the ones on airplanes).

/Mr Lynn
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 126
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020