advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Bluetooth Speaker System Recommendation
Posted by: rasmac
Date: June 27, 2014 09:33AM
i'm looking for some speakers to put in my Airstream trailer.

i had been using some JBL Creatures with my Mac Mini, but they crapped out - not sure what happened but the audio suddenly is very low when in use.
would like to use bluetooth for connectivity from mini, iphone, ipad, etc.
would also like to have an aux port to plug in TV audio.

i don't always have wifi, so airport express not too useful.

any recommendations?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Bluetooth Speaker System Recommendation
Posted by: davemchine
Date: June 27, 2014 09:53AM
I have the Bose Soundlink and I have been very happy with it. People are often surprised and think it is a much larger system. The battery is a bonus as you could take it outside your trailer if you wanted to. [www.amazon.com]®-SoundLink®-Bluetooth-Mobile-Speaker/dp/B0090Z3SPU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1403880656&sr=8-6&keywords=bose+bluetooth

I have listened to the less expensive Bose Mini Soundlink and I thought the sound was almost as good but it doesn't have quite the same base or the same volume. So if you don't listen to your music very loud it may be a less expensive option and it is smaller. [www.amazon.com]

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: June 27, 2014 10:50AM
I have two Braven 625s speakers that I like very much. They're tiny. About 2.5" tall, maybe 6-7in long, maybe 2" deep. They sound pretty good and have a long battery life. I use them with my Mac Mini, iPad, iPhone, etc. I use it with my phone in my car because Ion still hasn't released their Bluetooth Cassette adapter. They can be connected in series for bigger sound. They have a higher end model that allows wireless pairing of the speakers for the same effect.

[www.braven.com]

855s is the higher end model with wireless daisy chaining.
[www.braven.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 10:54AM by ztirffritz.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 27, 2014 11:55AM
I have a Bose soundlink that I really like. Sometimes I wish it supported AirPlay but devices that support both tend to be very expensive.

Posted by: SteveO
Date: June 27, 2014 12:08PM
I have a Jambox (bt) and like it a lot. Also looked at the Bose above but couldn't refuse the Costco $50 off on Jambox late last year.
Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: June 27, 2014 12:22PM
I have a Big Jambox and a Braven B440. I like both of them a lot. The Big Jambox definitely has the better sound but is not as portable as the Braven. I just happened to find both of them at thrift/discount stores and paid a fraction of the retail price. My son also recently found a JBL Pulse. Has good sound (not as good as the Big Jambox) and a LED lightshow effect inside of it that is pretty cool.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: June 27, 2014 08:20PM
I have the Bose mini Soundlink and like it a lot, clean highs, pretty deep bass for a unit it's size (better sounding than the Jambox and Logitech UE mini BOOM that I tried).

I don't know if they still have them, but Costco had the Bose Soundlink for a really good price, as well as a $50 off promotion.
Posted by: decay
Date: June 27, 2014 09:34PM
I heard a few at Staples, and the JBL Charge sounded best of the smaller speakers.

[www.staples.com]

---
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 27, 2014 10:52PM
JBL Charge sound good, I agree.

I am, however, enjoying surprisingly good sound from a 1sale special:

Zooka wireless; $15 shipped (red or navy blue options). 8 hour charge. BT handshaking was easier than JBL to my iPhone.

[1sale.com]

As low as $20 from Amazon (you have to get the pink to get that price...)

[www.amazon.com]

I recall now - the negative reviews are largely over poor sound when there is interference. I have not had that experience at all. The BT connection has been better than my official Apple Airplay connection over wifi.

EDIT: added links

EDIT: added comments about interference.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 10:56PM by sekker.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020