advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Say goodbye to iPhoto and Aperture
Posted by: Bosco
Date: June 27, 2014 12:18PM
Apple will no longer develop Aperture or iPhoto, OS X Yosemite Photos app to serve as replacement

Check it:
[appleinsider.com]

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 12:23PM by Bosco.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Say goodbye to iPhoto and Aperture
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 27, 2014 12:22PM
The great thing about the new Photos app is that you will be able to work on your photos on any of you Apple devices and the changes will propagate in iCloud Photo Library so all changes will be everywhere.
The Keynote mentioned early 2015 for the Photos App.
Maybe they will make it available in any browser including Windows, like they have the iWork Apps
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 27, 2014 12:33PM
The 5GB Apple currently offers is not going to be at all sufficient for anyone to do anything with the iCloud photo library. My iPhone already needs more than that just for its backup.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 27, 2014 12:39PM
OK, so I'm not gonna get Aperture 4. That sucks. I use it every single day. Now I'm supposed to rent software from Adobe. I need to hear more about Yosemite Photos. I have nearly 200,000 images in Aperture.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 12:40PM by vision63.
Posted by: billb
Date: June 27, 2014 12:53PM
Watch the price of Lightroom 5 go up.
Glad I snagged it last december when it was $70.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 27, 2014 01:03PM
Wow.

But if they keep developing it for Yosemite, it could go on for some time. Figure the rest of this year,, Yosemite for a year, and then Yosemite should be good for at least a few more year?

Apple also said it is working with Adobe to help users transition to its Lightroom app for Mac.

At least theres that?

Its only $10 a month for Adobes "photography" bundle -- which to me seems like a great buy. Even if it is for the rest of your life...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 27, 2014 01:08PM
Apple will get better pricing on iCloud up to 1TB
[www.cnet.com]

[appleinsider.com]
Date: June 27, 2014 01:15PM
jdc
Wow.

But if they keep developing it for Yosemite, it could go on for some time. Figure the rest of this year,, Yosemite for a year, and then Yosemite should be good for at least a few more year?

Apple also said it is working with Adobe to help users transition to its Lightroom app for Mac.

At least theres that?

Its only $10 a month for Adobes "photography" bundle -- which to me seems like a great buy. Even if it is for the rest of your life...

I'm not renting software. The can sell it to me. I already have too many entities nickel and dime'ing my bank accounts. Fortunately, it looks like the latest Lightroom can be bought separately for $136 at Amazon. Probably can get it cheaper. [www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Bosco
Date: June 27, 2014 01:19PM
jdc

Until Adobe decides to raise the subscription price... Then what?

-
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 27, 2014 01:47PM
Apple did this for your own good. Apple knows best.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 27, 2014 01:52PM
Bosco
-

Hey, lets not shoot the messenger. ;)

Like everything else in life, you pay more.

Gas, bread, milk, cell phone, cable, Starbucks -- fill in the blank.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 27, 2014 01:59PM
Hi everyone,

Now that Apple has done this with Photos, it needs to tear apart iTunes and rebuild it from scratch. Turn it into a music only app. Create a Movies app for video management. Create an Books app for management of eBooks and create a dedicated app for managing iOS devices. Sure, it's several apps. But, each one could be best in class and when used in conjunction with each other, blow the doors off the kludge that is iTunes.

Robert
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 27, 2014 02:04PM
Apple should sell iTunes to Microsoft where it would fit right in.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 02:04PM by Speedy.
Date: June 27, 2014 02:06PM
jdc
Bosco
-

Hey, lets not shoot the messenger. ;)

Like everything else in life, you pay more.

Gas, bread, milk, cell phone, cable, Starbucks -- fill in the blank.

I'm coming for you jdc. When you least expect it..... expect it!

Posted by: davester
Date: June 27, 2014 02:40PM
I'm of two minds on this.

For one thing, I do find it very annoying trying to curate photos between iOS and OS X at the moment. For example, I just recently copied a bunch of photos from my iPad over to iPhoto on the mac and lost all of the edits I'd made.

On the other hand, I don't want all my photos to be in the cloud. I have concerns about privacy, backup, and copyright, not to mention being required to pay money to maintain them forever.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 27, 2014 03:13PM
Not pleased. I really like Aperture. And I'll continue to use it until it breaks. I am NOT subscribing to anything, TYVM.
Date: June 27, 2014 03:18PM
davester
I'm of two minds on this.

For one thing, I do find it very annoying trying to curate photos between iOS and OS X at the moment. For example, I just recently copied a bunch of photos from my iPad over to iPhoto on the mac and lost all of the edits I'd made.

On the other hand, I don't want all my photos to be in the cloud. I have concerns about privacy, backup, and copyright, not to mention being required to pay money to maintain them forever.

You probably need to export the iPad images first, then transfer them to iPhoto (a chore). You should at least backup the images you keep to something like flickr. That's 1tb of free space. It's private (enough) and you have full copyright control.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 27, 2014 03:54PM
it needs to tear apart iTunes and rebuild it from scratch.

I'm thinking that just might happen, sooner than we think.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 27, 2014 03:55PM
I'm looking forward to the September-October announcements.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: June 27, 2014 04:04PM
RAMd®d

We only the one iTunes program. So we're all dependent on the taste of whoever is in charge of this one program. "No Cover Flow!" and there it goes.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: June 27, 2014 04:08PM
Man, Scott Bourne called this last year. He switched to Lightroom because Aperture development had slowed down quite a bit. He wasn't sure it was ever going to pick up again.
Date: June 27, 2014 04:17PM
silvarios
Man, Scott Bourne called this last year. He switched to Lightroom because Aperture development had slowed down quite a bit. He wasn't sure it was ever going to pick up again.

The problem is moving volumes of work managed by Aperture to Lightroom. I have Lightroom 4 and it's fine, but I know Aperture so well.
Date: June 27, 2014 04:20PM
vision63
RAMd®d

We only the one iTunes program. So we're all dependent on the taste of whoever is in charge of this one program. "No Cover Flow!" and there it goes.

iSync was part way there for handling devices. It could sync contacts and such, but Apple never added media support, nor did Apple add any support for iOS devices. Something needs to be done with iTunes, but I'm long past caring. iTunes has needed some TLC, or chainsaw to break off components, for almost a decade now. Who can wait a decade for a company to take something seriously?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 04:21PM by silvarios.
Date: June 27, 2014 04:23PM
silvarios
vision63
RAMd®d

iSync was part way there for handling devices. It could sync contacts and such, but Apple never added media support, nor did Apple add any support for iOS devices. Something needs to be done with iTunes, but I'm long past caring. iTunes has needed some TLC, or chainsaw to break off components, for almost a decade now. Who can wait a decade for a company to take something seriously?

I still maintain my music in iTunes. But I use Google Music to listen to what it manages since Apple won't put an iTunes app on Android, which in my mind is foolish.
Date: June 27, 2014 04:25PM
vision63
silvarios

The problem is moving volumes of work managed by Aperture to Lightroom. I have Lightroom 4 and it's fine, but I know Aperture so well.

Yeah, but that's why you have to be out in front of these "focus adjustments". When Apple stops caring, they rarely redouble their efforts on the product. Easier said than done of course smiling smiley
Date: June 27, 2014 04:28PM
silvarios
vision63
silvarios

Yeah, but that's why you have to be out in front of these "focus adjustments". When Apple stops caring, they rarely redouble their efforts on the product. Easier said than done of course smiling smiley

The good thing is, I'm not going to live forever so there is only so long that I have to care about these issues. They're just pictures Camera But I wish I hadn't "bet on Aperture over Lightroom years ago because they rarely updated it.
Posted by: p8712
Date: June 27, 2014 05:55PM
Hopefully the new app will allow an easy import of iphoto libraries? I have thousands of pics organized into albums that I don't want to have to redo.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 27, 2014 07:08PM
Current iPhoto is even worse than iTunes - that's saying a lot.

If Apple brings a lot of tools from Aperture into the new Photo program, that will be good for a lot of people.

I just started using Aperture, but I will not bother migrating over.

I DO need to rebuild my family photo library. Should I do it in Aperture anyway?
Date: June 27, 2014 07:23PM
sekker

If Apple brings a lot of tools from Aperture into the new Photo program, that will be good for a lot of people.

I DO need to rebuild my family photo library. Should I do it in Aperture anyway?

I wouldn't.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: June 27, 2014 08:06PM
silvarios
sekker

I wouldn't.

Aperture and iPhoto share the same library, so it doesn't really matter.
Date: June 27, 2014 09:09PM
Sam3
Aperture and iPhoto share the same library, so it doesn't really matter.

Both are being EOL'd, right? Why use either? This is a "Apple needs to prove they aren't dropping the ball" moment. I'd grab a new solution ASAP.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: June 27, 2014 10:02PM
I'll wait until I hear what Apple and Adobe come up with. Why jump now when there may be a bargain in the future. smiling smiley
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 27, 2014 10:22PM
p8712
Hopefully the new app will allow an easy import of iphoto libraries? I have thousands of pics organized into albums that I don't want to have to redo.

Welcome to The Digital Frontier.

It is what it is.
Date: June 28, 2014 12:55AM
Sam3
I'll wait until I hear what Apple and Adobe come up with. Why jump now when there may be a bargain in the future. smiling smiley

True. That's totally fair. How about this? Pick the path of least resistance now, but be ready to migrate when the time comes.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: June 28, 2014 08:28AM
Well that pisses me right off. I also bet on Aperture over Lightroom.

Posted by: JoeM
Date: June 28, 2014 09:31AM
I never had any faith in Apple continuing to support Aperture so I picked up Lightroom at version 3 and I can't wait till they dump iTunes.

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 125
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020