advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Latest web design trend -- short RANT
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 29, 2014 07:07AM
Whether it was inspired by Pinterest or the Windows 8 tiles, I really hate web pages that use it.

First it was NBCnews, now it is Sports Illustrated and who knows what others will emulate it. It makes finding anything a PITA and I just look elsewhere.

Seriously - who thought that design was a good idea?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Latest web design trend -- short RANT
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 29, 2014 07:37AM
Marketing morons.
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: June 29, 2014 07:38AM
I was thinking the other day as I perused NBC's site that it was nice/good/great.
I love this Goodwood LIVE social stream

[grrc.goodwood.com]
Posted by: billb
Date: June 29, 2014 07:39AM
Tiles, meet picture book/ scrapbook.....

Probably quite appealing to ADD 5 year olds longing for the the modern version of 1950ies amusement park fun house experience

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Pam
Date: June 29, 2014 08:29AM
Initially, NBC's site was worse than it is now. I and probably tons more wrote that it was obnoxious and we'd be reading CNN. It was far better to scan through article titles than see a selection of pictures. At least they changed it to also include lists of article titles.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 29, 2014 09:31AM
Even the improved version is annoying enough to keep me at the BBC and Al Jazeera sites (the latter is great btw). Not sure where I'm going for sports, I really like SI columnists but now I can't even find them.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 29, 2014 11:22AM
Engadget was an early adopter of the Visuals-Over-Content. I was able to use desktop browser to view mobile site for a while, but they dirtied their nest in that area too. AppleInsider scrolls tiles, which almost as bad. The latter I think it is partly a way to force page views on users and get more impressive ad numbers.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 29, 2014 11:50AM
The issue I have with this design style is that the density of information that can be displayed in a given amount of space is severely reduced. This usually translates into far fewer article links on the page. No bueno.

It is what it is.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 29, 2014 11:56AM
N-OS X-tasy!
The issue I have with this design style is that the density of information that can be displayed in a given amount of space is severely reduced. This usually translates into far fewer article links on the page. No bueno.

SI appears to counter that by making the page length virtually unlimited; you scroll down forever (particularly after clicking "load more"). Definitely no bueno.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: June 29, 2014 12:06PM
Sorry, what's the trend you're criticizing?

I can't see what you're talking about because NBC web pages have appeared as blank pages in all of my web browsers for the past few months with JavaScript disabled.

I considered permitting scripts from their site, but it's not like there's any content worth viewing there, so why bother?
Posted by: datbeme
Date: June 29, 2014 03:29PM
I don't care for it, but I'm not going to complain about them experimenting with new designs/interfaces. Countless bad ideas have already come and gone. It's part of the process.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 29, 2014 04:28PM
SI site is better than the NBC one.

What I dont understand is the photo shoots of chicks. Hot mustard, ugh. Its a sports site. Like I dont know where to find photos of half naked women on the net? Is it so when my SO walks in and see Im on sports illustrated she thinks Im not looking at photoshopped models in lingerie?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 29, 2014 04:28PM
SI site is better than the NBC one.

What I dont understand is the photo shoots of chicks. Hot mustard, ugh. Its a sports site. Like I dont know where to find photos of half naked women on the net? Is it so when my SO walks in and see Im on sports illustrated she thinks Im not looking at photoshopped models in lingerie?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: eustacetilley
Date: June 29, 2014 05:18PM
Ah, the Revenge Of the Neverending Image Blog.
An Image Blog is like a regular Blog, except there is no text, only images. They were popular for a time. A very short time.
One joker figured out how to put his whole photo library into one Blog. You couldn't scroll to the end, because there was no end. Every image was randomly served up, and in a way, it was quite spectacular in terms of memory consumption. I gave up after Safari choked; that one page was using up a couple of gigabytes.

I just went searching for it, and it is gone. Oh well, I guess he got a real job at SI, or someplace like it.

Eustace
Posted by: Bixby
Date: June 29, 2014 06:35PM
This is all because more and more people are viewing sites on their tablets. So blame the iPad, simple as that.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 29, 2014 10:40PM
SI is terrible.

There ARE good sites for both desktops and iPads. The Verge, for example.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 158
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020