advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Coffee Maker Just Died
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 01, 2014 01:39PM
very sudden. tragic loss but i'll survive. this thread here is a year old. i'm leaning toward a Bunn as it seems maybe it will last longer than the 18months or so i've been getting out of the mr coffee, hamilton beach type brands. anyone have something new to add to a coffee maker purchase?

i already have a french press and melitta drip set up. no, i don't want an aereopress.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Coffee Maker Just Died
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 01, 2014 02:01PM
Graylocks,

Funny you should post. A friend of mine needed a coffee maker. He drinks about 18 to 20 oz of coffee. I suggested a Keurig K-Cup machine because it'll suit his usage perfectly. Make an 8 oz cup and then do a 6 oz cup. It'll fill his travel mug to exactly where he wants it in the morning. But, he doesn't want a single-serve machine.

He also didn't want to deal with leftover coffee, timers and other such niceties. He absolutely didn't want to deal with a french press, aeropress or similar system. He wanted his 18 to 20 ounces of coffee. That's it. 'course, the components of the machine that get dirty had to be dishwasher-safe and the whole machine wasn't allowed to take up much space on his counter. Automatic shutoff was imperative.

End result? He bought the following:

[www.amazon.com]

It was exactly what he wanted in a basic coffee maker. It brews 20 oz of coffee. The carafe and other components are top-rack dishwasher safe. It has automatic shutoff.

FWIW, I did the research for him and based on all of the reports, it appears _all_ of the brands have reliability problems. All of them. It's really a question of features, style and price and you absolutely don't have to spend a tremendous amount of money to get a machine that'll produce a great cup of coffee. One thing going for the Bunn models are they are made in the USA. The other brands? Mostly China. And, funny, when you look at Consumer Reports, they rate a ton of models as solid good choices. But, the user reviews paint an entirely different picture.

Forgot to point out... My one concern about the coffee maker in the link is the availability of filters. It doesn't use a standard #4 Cone or standard basket filter. Rather, it uses a smaller, more difficult to find in the average store basket filter. Fortunately, they are readily available online and Walmart. Probably Target, too. He bought an extra 100 qty filters. If the coffee maker works well, he'll just order a years worth of them at once and be done with it. And, he can also by the permanent filter.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2014 02:17PM by Robert M.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: July 01, 2014 02:09PM
No experience, but I've heard the Bunn consumer-grade stuff is on par with everything else. Not much in common with its commercial line, AFAIK.
Posted by: DP
Date: July 01, 2014 02:30PM
Robert M
Graylocks,

Funny you should post. A friend of mine needed a coffee maker. He drinks about 18 to 20 oz of coffee. I suggested a Keurig K-Cup machine because it'll suit his usage perfectly. Make an 8 oz cup and then do a 6 oz cup. It'll fill his travel mug to exactly where he wants it in the morning. But, he doesn't want a single-serve machine.

He also didn't want to deal with leftover coffee, timers and other such niceties. He absolutely didn't want to deal with a french press, aeropress or similar system. He wanted his 18 to 20 ounces of coffee. That's it. 'course, the components of the machine that get dirty had to be dishwasher-safe and the whole machine wasn't allowed to take up much space on his counter. Automatic shutoff was imperative.

End result? He bought the following:

[www.amazon.com]

It was exactly what he wanted in a basic coffee maker. It brews 20 oz of coffee. The carafe and other components are top-rack dishwasher safe. It has automatic shutoff.

FWIW, I did the research for him and based on all of the reports, it appears _all_ of the brands have reliability problems. All of them. It's really a question of features, style and price and you absolutely don't have to spend a tremendous amount of money to get a machine that'll produce a great cup of coffee. One thing going for the Bunn models are they are made in the USA. The other brands? Mostly China. And, funny, when you look at Consumer Reports, they rate a ton of models as solid good choices. But, the user reviews paint an entirely different picture.

Forgot to point out... My one concern about the coffee maker in the link is the availability of filters. It doesn't use a standard #4 Cone or standard basket filter. Rather, it uses a smaller, more difficult to find in the average store basket filter. Fortunately, they are readily available online and Walmart. Probably Target, too. He bought an extra 100 qty filters. If the coffee maker works well, he'll just order a years worth of them at once and be done with it. And, he can also by the permanent filter.

Robert

This. But your link is to a four cup Mr. Coffee maker.
The only issue I have with the Mr. Coffee brand is with an older model I have where if you have a full carafe, the first pours will dribble and spill. It's like they couldn't design a proper lip.
Date: July 01, 2014 02:38PM
DP,

Yups. 4 cups. Mr. Coffee measures a cup at 5 ounces. Most of the manufacturers base their cup size on the same amount. That's exactly what he wanted in a coffee maker. It's based on bow much joe he makes at home in the morning and the size of the carafe for throwing into the dishwasher. And, yes, Mr Coffee is known for mediocre carafe designs.

Robert
Posted by: Black
Date: July 01, 2014 02:52PM
I ordered two of these a bunch of years ago (meant to order one) and decided to hold onto the second as a backup.
First still functioning like new, and I loooooove it.
[www.amazon.com]
I went through a bunch of Mr. Coffees before that and they seem like a bad dream now that's thankfully fading away....

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: iaJim
Date: July 01, 2014 02:52PM
Spend the money and get a coffee maker that will last a long time and that will make great coffee. Get a Techna Vorm Moccamaster. I get a 15% off offer from Williams Sonoma all the time, and I used that to bring the price down.

I have this one: [www.williams-sonoma.com]

I see that you can get 10% off just by joining their mailing list. That popped up when I went to their main web site. [www.williams-sonoma.com]

Best coffee maker I have ever had. I retired a Cuisinart that was working. No comparison.
Posted by: smacks
Date: July 01, 2014 02:53PM
Farberware percolater. No glass carafe to break. No plastic other than the handle and knob on top.

Got it as a wedding gift in 1993. Still going.

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2014 02:53PM by smacks.
Posted by: Z
Date: July 01, 2014 02:54PM
graylocks
no, i don't want an aereopress.

Get an aeropress!

Oh, wait, nevermind. grinning smiley

Nothing new to report on my end. Happy with my 'vorm.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 01, 2014 03:02PM
kinda sounds like another case of the cobbler's kids needing shoes... :-)

Not a coffee junkie as tea is preferred personally, but for size/space/capacity considerations, I get one of these for Mrs. Buzz every three years, which is a whopping twice as long as the 18 month varieties you mentioned (and that Mrs. B used to favor). Bunn is probably a good lifetime solution, but if you go shorter term/lower acquisition cost, the Cuisinart may be an option. I don't know squat about coffee, or coffee makers, but coffee snob spousal unit "approves" the last 3 or 4* small stainless steel carafe Cuisinart's as was recommended by my coffee snobbier little brother several years ago for compact coffee making.

*the last three have been consecutive, she had another small one and a bigger one (our spare, used for company), both w/ glass carafes from different makers before returning to the current streak of small stainless steel carafes.

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Date: July 01, 2014 03:04PM
Black,

I like that one! I'll suggest it to my bud when the lil' ol' Mr Coffee he just bought goes kablooey. IT's not a matter of if but when, as is the case for most modern coffee makers.

Robert
Posted by: billb
Date: July 01, 2014 03:09PM
Buzz

That's what I have.
from Target or maybe Macy's.
No orgasms, no wings, no celestial escapades.
Just a cup of coffee.

Of course, garbage in, garbage out, lately I've been brewing Peaberry that I stuffed as much as my suitcase would carry last time I was there.
I used to be able to drink Maxwell House . It's gonna be tough going back.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2014 03:58PM by billb.
Posted by: colonel panic
Date: July 01, 2014 03:10PM
iaJim
Spend the money and get a coffee maker that will last a long time and that will make great coffee. Get a Techna Vorm Moccamaster. I get a 15% off offer from Williams Sonoma all the time, and I used that to bring the price down.

I have this one: [www.williams-sonoma.com]

I see that you can get 10% off just by joining their mailing list. That popped up when I went to their main web site. [www.williams-sonoma.com]

Best coffee maker I have ever had. I retired a Cuisinart that was working. No comparison.

agree smiley

"They don't call me Colonel because I'm some dumb a$$ army guy" Colonel Homer J. Simpson
Posted by: August West
Date: July 01, 2014 03:20PM
The one thing I always advise is to get a thermal carafe for a drip coffee maker.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."

Posted by: JEBB
Date: July 01, 2014 03:35PM
Keep life simple get a Mister Coffee but get one with an auto shutoff
Posted by: Sam3
Date: July 01, 2014 03:42PM
We have a Bunn, actually two of them, and we've had them for at least 15 years (before we were married.) I did have to get the seal kit from Bunn, as that is their weak point, the design has plastic water reservoir close to the metal heating chamber and the plastic becomes brittle and starts leaking. The kit has a redesigned seal that prevents leaking from occurring. I put the seal on both of ours and haven't had a problem since. Both my wife and I really like the coffee that comes out of the Bunn, as well as the speed at which coffee is ready. What I also like about the Bunn is that the heated water never touches plastic, the heating element, tank and all of the tubing is metal.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 01, 2014 03:43PM
my big problem with most mass-market coffee makers is that they burn the coffee - carafe sits directly on burner. If you can do so, avoid any maker with a burner, go for thermal. when it's gone cold.. make another pot.

of course, you could avoid all of this with an AeroPress... :-D
Date: July 01, 2014 03:55PM
MrBig,

Nope. An aeropress has its own pros and cons. Coffee sitting on a hot plate is exactly why my bud bought the 4 cup coffee maker. It produces exactly the right amount of coffee. No extra sitting on the burner. He brews the coffee. turns the machine off. Pours the coffee into his travel mug. Done. 'course, many modern models allow the user to control the temperature of the hot plate. So, even burnt coffee isn't as much of a concern as it was in the past.

I wouldn't want a thermal carafe because from what I can see, they aren't dishwasher-safe. Ease of use and ease of cleanup is key. That's another reason he chose the particular Mr Coffee model in the link. 'course, still more work and cleanup than a k-cup machine but that's a different matter entirely.

Robert
Date: July 01, 2014 04:05PM
i'm busily reading reviews - and watching soccer. made a quick run to wally world and stopped by the coffeemaker aisle to discover this.
Hamilton Beach 49983 2-Way FlexBrew Coffeemaker

as a starbucks barista i have an endless supply of whole bean and k cups. is this the best of both worlds? reviews are decent. will it last more than 18 months. Bunn reviews talk about the spectacular cup of joe the bunn makes but maybe they don't last forever. maybe i'm overthinking this. btw, a timer is essential.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: July 01, 2014 04:20PM
August West
The one thing I always advise is to get a thermal carafe for a drip coffee maker.

Well, now, that's what we use at home-we have a Krups two-carafe drip type that's got to be almost 20 years old. She drinks flavored decafs and I drink real honest-to-God coffee. It wasn't cheap and they are thermal carafes. You have to be careful to switch it off after the brewing is done as it could melt the plastic after boiling the water. But we have forgotten that a few times and nothing has melted! The carafes keep the coffee hot long enough.
German engineering...
Posted by: JEBB
Date: July 01, 2014 04:25PM
mrbigstuff
my big problem with most mass-market coffee makers is that they burn the coffee - carafe sits directly on burner. If you can do so, avoid any maker with a burner, go for thermal. when it's gone cold.. make another pot.

Our current Mr Coffee doesn't do that although earlier ones did. If what you choose does burn the coffee put a few pennies on the burner, under the carafe, that will disperse the heat and end the burning problem.
Date: July 01, 2014 04:30PM
Gray,

First time I'm seeing it. I have a little Hamilton-Beach Commercial one cup pod brewer. However, it's misleading. It isn't a pod-brewer. Rather, it's a repackaged drip brewer that has a cone shaped holder for the pod. The hot water in turn drips onto the pod and then out the spout. I ended up turning it into a proper drip brewer buy using #2 cone filters and ground coffee.

I left it at my girlfriend's apartment (before we married and she moved in with me) and used it pretty often. Considering it was a low-end repackaged drip brewer, it worked surprisingly well and did the job for me at the time. she doesn't drink coffee, so I was the only one who used it.

I pulled the lil Hamilton-Beach coffee maker out of storage recently to see if the same model would do the job for my bud. Nopes. After giving it a serious looksie and test run I came to the following conclusions:

1. It's still a drip brewer. If you try to use pods with it, the resulting coffee will be garbage

2. It's not made particularly well and I doubt it would hold up well under daily usage.

3. It makes a mess when brewing coffee.

I didn't recommend it to him. But, based on the build-quality, I wouldn't go near a Hamilton-beach coffee maker. I'd say it competes with the coffee makers produced by Mr Coffee. Meaning, it's low-to somewhat mid-range coffee makers. You buy them, use them, and have low-expectations for features, performance and reliability. BTW, I also wouldn't buy a machine from Procter-Silex. They're owned by Hamilton-Beach and is its "low-end" brand.

But, unfortunately, reliability is an issue for all of the common brands. Even Bunn.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2014 04:41PM by Robert M.
Date: July 01, 2014 04:35PM
JEBB
mrbigstuff

Our current Mr Coffee doesn't do that although earlier ones did. If what you choose does burn the coffee put a few pennies on the burner, under the carafe, that will disperse the heat and end the burning problem.

Or just add a little water in the carafe before you turn on the machine.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 01, 2014 04:56PM
In this thread all I hear is graylocks saying "endless supply of whole bean." Makes me smile.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 01, 2014 05:30PM
Date: July 01, 2014 05:39PM
Steve G.

smiley-gen013

Date: July 01, 2014 05:50PM
Black
I ordered two of these a bunch of years ago (meant to order one) and decided to hold onto the second as a backup.
[www.amazon.com]
I went through a bunch of Mr. Coffees before that and they seem like a bad dream now that's thankfully fading away....

you and lot of reviewers love this and was very tempting til i realized, alas, no timer function.

Posted by: space-time
Date: July 01, 2014 05:51PM
aren't you a Barista at Starbucks? you ask us about coffee makers? we should ask you!
Posted by: Z
Date: July 01, 2014 06:23PM
graylocks
Black
[www.amazon.com]

you and lot of reviewers love this and was very tempting til i realized, alas, no timer function.

Put one of these on the plug and problem solved?
Woods 50010 Indoor 24-Hour Digital Outlet Timer
[kk.org]
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 01, 2014 06:37PM
The Cuisinart Grind~n~Brew I bought almost ten years ago is still going strong! I actually got a second one as a back up shortly after buying the first because it made such good coffee and, I got a great price on each. I can recommend it without hesitation.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: July 01, 2014 07:47PM
If a timer is essential, then Bunn is out as no Bunn has a timer. I think they figure that if you can get a complete pot of coffee in 3-6 minutes, there's not need for a timer. I think Bunns are reliable, after doing the seal repair using their kit, one of my Bunn coffee makers is going on 15 years or more.

Considering you already are in the good coffee loop, I'm not sure that you'll be pleased with anything less that a Zojirushi, Bunn or Technivorm or other of a similar level of a coffee maker.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2014 07:47PM by Sam3.
Posted by: St. Bernard
Date: July 01, 2014 08:12PM
I got the poor man's Technivorm and I've been impressed with the very good if short of spectacular coffee and the ability of the thermal carafe to keep the coffee hot for hours.

While kinda janky compared to having one built in to the coffee maker itself, consider an external timer.
Date: July 01, 2014 08:52PM
space-time
aren't you a Barista at Starbucks? you ask us about coffee makers? we should ask you!

ask me about making a latte, brewing coffee in a commercial urn, using a french press or how to use a coffee maker. but as for automatic coffee making machinery - starbucks doesn't sell that and even if we did i'd have to wait until the employee enhanced discount day to be able to afford it. (okay, starbucks does have the Verismo machine but that's single serve only and not well suited for my home needs. and too expensive for what it does but don't tell Howard i said that.)

Date: July 01, 2014 08:57PM
testcase
The Cuisinart Grind~n~Brew I bought almost ten years ago is still going strong! I actually got a second one as a back up shortly after buying the first because it made such good coffee and, I got a great price on each. I can recommend it without hesitation.

actually, that was the first thing i looked at today as i have been quietly lusting for a burr grinder. forget why i nixed the idea. i think the fact that reviewers said it had to be cleaned everyday and required a water filter. filter is a good idea but another item that would need to be stocked. i already use water filtered in my brita pitcher.

Date: July 01, 2014 09:01PM
i decided to try out the Hamilton Beach flexbrew. Amazon and Wally World has the same price and for the first time in a long time i opted brick & mortar. the price is the same since Amazon charges tax and if i find i don't like it returning it to walmart will be much easier.

ran some water through it tonight to clean and outgas it. coffee in the morning and i'll pick up some k cups at work tomorrow. i'll let you know if it changes my life. thanks for all the advice. i now have avenues to explore if/when this doesn't work out.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 01, 2014 10:31PM
Whatever you get, use distilled water.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: July 01, 2014 10:50PM
Speedy

really? is that better than filtering it? i use a Brita pitcher. i know tap water is generally not considered good which is why starbucks triple filters their water.

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 01, 2014 11:21PM
I have the simple non=programmable 4-Cup Mr. Coffee and I think it makes very good coffee. I rarely
drink more than one cup a day and sometimes none at all. Even if I throw out half a pot it's still cheaper
than K-Cups.

[www.amazon.com]

Grateful11
Date: July 02, 2014 12:11AM
Grateful11
I have the simple non=programmable 4-Cup Mr. Coffee and I think it makes very good coffee. I rarely
drink more than one cup a day and sometimes none at all. Even if I throw out half a pot it's still cheaper
than K-Cups.

in my case starbucks k-cups are free. additionally, the Hamilton Beach model comes with what is basically a refillable DIY k-cup which i think is pretty cool of them. my brother pointed out that i drink too much coffee for a k-cup but my counter is that it will be handy for later in the day when i'd like to have a cup of decaf but never do because i don't want to make a pot of it.

Posted by: billb
Date: July 02, 2014 06:53AM
graylocks
Speedy

really? is that better than filtering it? i use a Brita pitcher. i know tap water is generally not considered good which is why starbucks triple filters their water.

No.
There are potentially no minerals in distilled water .
If you want your coffee to taste good you need to start with mineral infused water that tastes good .

If you only want a safe to drink cup of coffee then by all means start with safe-only water.

By all means safe water has it's purposes and uses, like on a closed environment on a cruise ship where you want the absolute safest of water supplies or the source water being of dubious quality to begin with, but for drinking water and flavourful drinks made with water you really want water that has some flavour to begin with and that water has minerals in it.
Hopefully by filtering selectively, palatable safe flavour.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: July 02, 2014 08:08AM
smacks
Farberware percolater. No glass carafe to break. No plastic other than the handle and knob on top.

[www.amazon.com]

My model from 1997 started making weak coffee, so I replaced it with an 8-cup Hamilton Beach percolator from Bed, Bath & Beyond (I used a 20% off coupon).

This percolator brews delicious coffee and I have been very stingy with the grounds, saving me money. It doesn't burn the coffee, although I've dropped the glass lid on my quartz counter and broke it. BBB has a very liberal return policy so I was able to exchange it for a new one w/o any problem.

I've also been buying coffee from these folks for over 15 years. Fantastic selection and competitive prices.
Date: July 02, 2014 09:22AM
the_poochies
smacks

[www.amazon.com]

My model from 1997 started making weak coffee, so I replaced it with an 8-cup Hamilton Beach percolator from Bed, Bath & Beyond

back in the day a percolater was THE way to make coffee at home. just saying the name makes the Maxwell house coffee jingle earworm into my brain followed soon by Chock Full O' Nuts is that heavenly coffee. but other than remembering that inside there's a metal filter basket on a tube and a water coffee spurt smashes against the glass bubble on top rhythmically, i don't really understand how it works. how does a percolator work and why has it fallen out of favor?bonus question - once in a blue moon a starbucks customer will ask for their whole bean coffee to be ground for a percolator. i'm the only one in the store who even knows what a percolator is. would it use the same level of grind as drip?

Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 02, 2014 01:23PM
Coffee for a percolator should be ground coarser than for a drip machine.

Percolators are generally considered to make bad coffee, or at least not as good as drip machines because they "over extract" the coffee and make it bitter by passing the water through the grounds several times.

Of course different strokes for different folks; some people still prefer percolator coffee.

As for minerals in the water, mineral deposits are what clogs up coffee makers over time (unless you clean with vinegar or something else regularly).
Date: July 03, 2014 03:53PM
Hi everyone,

Just checked out the little Mr. Coffee 4-cup coffee maker my bud got for himself. It's adorable! I can literally hold the entire machine in the palm of my hand. He told me setup took all of about ten minutes including washing the coffee basket and decanter in soapy water and running a brew cycle with just water. The machine did _not_ come with any filters. It may have been under $20.00 but still, Mr Coffee ought to have provided at least a sample pack of filters. He had the foresight to by a box of 100 qty at the same time he bought the coffee maker.

Brewing coffee with the machine is a no-brainer. He ran a cycle for me. He uses a plain ol' measuring cup to fill the water reservoir. The suggested for the amount of coffee to use for 4 cups is definitely off. He said the first batch came out watery and that even a crappy pod brewer produced a better cup of joe. So, he upped the quantity of coffee significantly and it was a vast improvement.

All in all, he is happy with it. Me? I don't know. The machine is what you would expect for $20.00. It feels flimsy, just like other Mr Coffee and Hamilton-Beach machines I've checked out over the years. The bottom of the machine gets on the warm side. I'd put a trivet under it, just to ensure it doesn't create a problem on a counter-top. But, all that aside, it does the job. One pot will fill 90% of a 16 oz cup with just a it of coffee left in the decanter.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020