Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New YES album - excerpts today - Heaven and Earth
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: July 03, 2014 10:34AM
[yesheavenandearth.com]

Jon Anderson replaced with Jon Davidson. (hmmm)

The sample does not tell me enough. I can tell it's no 90125, but the next Roundabout?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New YES album - excerpts today - Heaven and Earth
Posted by: raz
Date: July 03, 2014 10:56AM
I was not impressed by Jon Davidson live. He sounded sort of like they were using auto-tune on him.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: July 03, 2014 10:59AM
I hope it's more Fragile than 90215. I hated that later "pop" iteration of YES with every fiber of my being.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 03, 2014 11:04AM
yes died when anderson visited mars the first time.

the first 5 LPs are the best.
I will admit to digging TFTT, even though it's a bit ........ uh ...... dense.
Without both Bruford and Wakeman, a very different beast.
Not to say that Alan White is a slouch. He's a monster.
But after TFTT, a hit single here or there.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 03, 2014 12:19PM
Wow. There was a time when I'd have known a new album was coming and would have been waiting (im)patiently for it. I last saw them live a few years ago on their first tour with Davison. He was good enough...a bit better than Benoit David, but neither is a real substitute for Anderson. That said, as long as Squire, Howe and White are still involved, I'll still consider them YES. Guess I'll have to check out the new album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2014 12:23PM by wurm.
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 03, 2014 01:56PM
I, for one, prefer the pop version of Yes starting with 90125. Does this mean my Internet Intelligentsia card is revoked?
Date: July 03, 2014 02:47PM
not imo.
Yes has varied, changed over the years, and imo are an all-inclusive group. Yes and Yes fans are embracing folks.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 03, 2014 03:09PM
Yes was my favorite band for YEARS! Seen them many times. My favorite version of the band is also the wakeman/bruford variation, but the best album imo by a mile is Relayer - the only one with Patrick Moraz on keys.

Last time I saw the band live was the both bands on stage all at the same time. Whatshisname was there doing the 90125 stuff. I was never a fan of that iteration of the band, but that was a fun concert. Steve Howe was AMAZING with a little competition on stage. Great side by side comparison of the tow guitarist - Howe puts his head down and works the problem HARD. Whathisname is a consummate showman. Very flashy, very skilled - I never realized that it was HIM on lead vocals ob his songs and in fact, there is a great backstory about that album. It was a Whathisname solo album featuring a few Yes members... and of course the suits came to him and said, "say, how bout we make this a Yes album."

However, after the show, reps from the band were handing out questionaires for the fans to fill out and return. It was wired - it was an attempt to find out just what the fans wanted. IT seemed that the band was gonna cater to the fans.

I HAVE NEVER LIKED THAT. I've always felt that the best music is made by musicians for themselves or loved ones more than anything else.

Yes' output from then on was very suspect in my eye and I haven't seen anything either new or live that was very impressive EXCEPT that steve howe is still getting better and clearly still studies music all the time.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 03, 2014 03:15PM
I have pretty much the same thoughts on the variant versions of Yes as for the three versions of Van Halen, meaning I'm fine with the first two (Dave/Sammy, Howe/Rabin), but have no use for the third (Whatsisname, Whatstherenames)...

And yes (no pun intended), I'm well aware that the full list of Yes members would fill most of a page. Maybe that's why they haven't been inducted in the HOF yet--the acceptance speeches would last an hour.

(Or, just because Jann Wenner is a pretentious prick.)
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: July 03, 2014 04:45PM
Acer, I don't hate you with every fiber of my being. Just most fibers. ;)

Fritz, Lately I'm finding TFTO the album I like the most of all (except for Side 3 which I generally skip). I'm not sure how to put it, but the music is complex and varied and beautiful and rocking enough to stand up to repeated listenings even though I know it note for note in my head. There are a lot of fine moments on that album, especially on Side 4. The lyrics of course are nonsensical gibberish, but what YES lyrics aren't? That's always been fine with me: it makes Anderson's voice like another instrument in the band, and I've always loved his voice.

I love the YES "biggies" (I think that's Howe's term) - the song with epic climaxes toward the end. Sometimes they just kind of sneak up on you, like "To Be Over" on Relayer. Beautiful song.

I saw YES twice, in '77 and '78 or '79. They were touring for Going For the One and Tormato. Those were amazingly great shows. YES ended after those two albums, as far as I was concerned, and I've never really changed my mind. I was exagerrating before, but I did actively dislike some of their later radio singles.

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 03, 2014 05:17PM
I didn't discover Yes until 90125, had to go back from there to get into the early stuff. I still like the Rabin records a lot (Big Generator and Talk are both underrated IMO), but I can certainly see how that stylistic change would be really jarring if you were used to, say, Relayer.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 03, 2014 05:24PM
Uncle Wig
YES ended after those two albums, as far as I was concerned, and I've never really changed my mind. I was exagerrating before, but I did actively dislike some of their later radio singles.

It's almost a constant in the rock/pop music world; a new artist or group appear with something new and unique (and good) to offer. People like what they hear and support the artists.

The artist present their new and unique creations over the course of some X number of albums. But then have nothing else to offer, and fall into producing just variations on their original ideas.

Those folks who had been big fans begin to say to themselves "That new cut just sounds like a modified reiteration of that cut off their first album. And the original was much better." or words to that effect.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: July 03, 2014 06:45PM
See, now you made me listen to some Yes! (90125).

I remember listening to/discovering Fragile when I was in high school. At the time it was considered to be druggie music but I just liked the sound, I've been a fan ever since. I recently had the chance to see them live locally but no Jon Anderson or Rick Wakeman = not Yes.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Date: July 04, 2014 07:04AM
90125 opened the door for me. I then moved to Fragile. I like it all.
Posted by: Black
Date: July 04, 2014 09:17AM
hal
Yes was my favorite band for YEARS! Seen them many times. My favorite version of the band is also the wakeman/bruford variation, but the best album imo by a mile is Relayer - the only one with Patrick Moraz on keys.

Last time I saw the band live was the both bands on stage all at the same time. Whatshisname was there doing the 90125 stuff. I was never a fan of that iteration of the band, but that was a fun concert. Steve Howe was AMAZING with a little competition on stage. Great side by side comparison of the tow guitarist - Howe puts his head down and works the problem HARD. Whathisname is a consummate showman. Very flashy, very skilled - I never realized that it was HIM on lead vocals ob his songs and in fact, there is a great backstory about that album. It was a Whathisname solo album featuring a few Yes members... and of course the suits came to him and said, "say, how bout we make this a Yes album."

However, after the show, reps from the band were handing out questionaires for the fans to fill out and return. It was wired - it was an attempt to find out just what the fans wanted. IT seemed that the band was gonna cater to the fans.

I HAVE NEVER LIKED THAT. I've always felt that the best music is made by musicians for themselves or loved ones more than anything else.

Yes' output from then on was very suspect in my eye and I haven't seen anything either new or live that was very impressive EXCEPT that steve howe is still getting better and clearly still studies music all the time.

I think someone got their buzz on early for the fourth.....

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: neophyte
Date: July 04, 2014 09:27AM
I saw YES only once, late '71 or early '72, in BOS when they opened for King Crimson. The Yes Album and Fragile are my favorites.

Then I saw the Beach Boys last night, streamed by WBZ from the esplanade. I realized I look like them though I think of them as they looked in the '60s.

Crap, I'm old.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 73
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020