advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Built this in my spare time yesterday. And did my first shock-absorber replacement
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: July 05, 2014 07:52AM

These guys hung around, too.

Then, getting the bags of soil to fill the new wall area, I guess an old 96 Caravan with 180,000 miles on it can't handle 1300 pounds. So, POP, bank... broken shock. July 4th... no one open. NEED VAN TODAY. SO, went out to youtube, learned it; bought shock, did it. $45! smiling smiley

More scenes from the garden this holiday weekend.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Built this in my spare time yesterday. And did my first shock-absorber replacement
Posted by: DP
Date: July 05, 2014 08:44AM
Well done! I'm trying to avoid too much yard stuff this weekend but a lot of the yard is left to it's own devices about now.
Nice pix.
Re: Built this in my spare time yesterday. And did my first shock-absorber replacement
Date: July 05, 2014 09:12AM
Thanks! I think screenshot of iPhoto (Shift-Command-4) is a lot easier than actually making a publicly accessible gallery. I'm cheap/lazy. smiling smiley

We're trying to decide what to put in the new area now.
Knock-out roses?
Stella de Oro (sp?) day lillies?
Something woodsier/shrubbery-er?
Or annuals.

I probably need another 1/2 shock-absorber's worth of dirt/soil. smiling smiley
Posted by: Black
Date: July 05, 2014 09:17AM
What kind of "soil" did you get? If it's just the lowest grade "topsoil" you may want to get some bales of peat to mix in (will help fill it out as well). Why does it look like it already has plants in it?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: July 05, 2014 09:22AM
It's a soil from a peat place, actually. But not 100% peat-y stuff. Tastes good enough. smiling smiley Very black, crumbly mix. Some gravel at bottom for drainage.

Plants: I have to find bursts of energy to do this. Last year I started this and thought the sloped area would be good. But did not fair very well. So, decided to do the wall to look better, be sort of like a place one/kids can sit upon, and prevent the ducks from tracking all in and out of it, knocking our mulch over, and trampling the plantings. Those balloon flowers and the other things seemed to have survived. The new soil level will be at their base, then mulch a bit above that.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 05, 2014 10:08AM
Very nice!
Posted by: max
Date: July 05, 2014 10:17AM
I planted a lemon and a fig tree in mine. The birds get to the figs before I get a chance to enjoy them.
The lemon tree, the third year produced so many fruit I had to bring bags of lemons to work, for weeks...
Posted by: clay
Date: July 05, 2014 11:21AM
max
I planted a lemon and a fig tree in mine. The birds get to the figs before I get a chance to enjoy them.
The lemon tree, the third year produced so many fruit I had to bring bags of lemons to work, for weeks...

That sounds fantastic. Wish my climate would be suitable for outdoor citrus.
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: July 05, 2014 12:03PM
nicely done!

=TC
Posted by: MikeF
Date: July 05, 2014 12:11PM
I see you have a white-haired long-tailed garden digger as well... winking smiley
Date: July 05, 2014 12:47PM
Thanks all.
Yes, my pooch doesn't do much. Just lays around. Her and ducks for the most part pay little to no attention to one another. She is not a digger, though. Just a lay around and sleeper.

Just got the soil added. And I had to move sprinkler head for this new obstruction. Then noticed my pump (I pump water from my pond) had lost its head. So, had to diagnose all that and get it going again. Strangest thing. But I'm in no mood to wade into the pond to check the screen/filters.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 05, 2014 02:01PM
One weird trick for pond pumps... Back pressure with house water supply to blow debris back out of the intake ...
Posted by: billb
Date: July 05, 2014 02:13PM
envisioning neighbors complaining about fish scales, bones and flesh bits all over their houses ...

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: July 05, 2014 09:08PM
aka fertilizer. smiling smiley
Posted by: Black
Date: July 05, 2014 10:09PM
Mini, do you sleep?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: July 05, 2014 10:16PM
'bout ready to.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 180
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020