advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Watch carefully as I magically produce new Apple devices Tuesday after next...
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: July 15, 2014 09:22PM
I just caved and bought a new 2012 Mac Mini.

(In case you didn't notice, the Mac Minis haven't been upgraded since 2012. The current model is the "2012" Mini.)

Industry news and rumors strongly suggest that the next-gen Broadwell chips are not going to be produced in sufficient quantity for anything but the most power-efficient and GPU-deprived laptops (MBAs) by the end of the year and the better classes of Broadwell (including quad-cores for the top of the line Mac Minis) are not due in quantity until Q2 2015.

So, this seems to be it for awhile.

Of course, Apple could make a half-assed upgrade to the Mini by just upping the clock speed a nudge and upgrading to current-gen Intel or Nvidia graphics.

And it'll be just my luck if they do it in 2 weeks. (which will be right after the 14-day return period expires for this Mini).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2014 09:25PM by Chakravartin.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Watch carefully as I magically produce new Apple devices Tuesday after next...
Posted by: steve...
Date: July 15, 2014 09:43PM
thumbs up

We ought to have a medal for those that take one for the team.

Northern California Coast
Re: Watch carefully as I magically produce new Apple devices Tuesday after next...
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 15, 2014 09:48PM
Several of us have been doing that for a couple of seasons now; it's not working. Nothing's working. I've bought two Mac minis in the last year (long story; one was for a client). I've bought several displays in the last two years and the Thunderbolt Display is still the same one from 2011.

All Apple is working on these days is iOS stuff. Everyone's working on the iPhone 6 or the iWatch. The Mac offices are empty.

#angrymacuser

added * but, seriously, Leader; for the new Mac in the house. it's still a solid little performer, regardless of age.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2014 09:50PM by Zoidberg.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: July 15, 2014 10:49PM
Yep. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Seems like we are a long way from any substantial upgrades.

I'm thinking of going in a completely different direction and getting a nearly maxed out 15" Retina Macbook and making that my primary Mac. It's a big jump, but I was probably going to buy a mini and a 13" Macbook of some sort anyway.

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: particleman
Date: July 15, 2014 11:33PM
I really think you should have bought an iMac. winking smiley My current one is an early 2008.
Posted by: MacJeepster
Date: July 16, 2014 08:17AM
You always have to jump on the merry-go-round sometime.
On the plus side, you have a sweet machine that will serve you well for years.

-mj
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 16, 2014 09:27AM

Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: July 16, 2014 12:04PM
Current Mac mini is darn solid... and very upgradeable.

I expect the next Mac mini will be nice - but highly likely to have soldered memory and potentially a single flash drive only... IMHO - the latter especially defeats its primary audience that buy these for home or even business servers and want the internal storage options.... so we'll see. I hope they don't ruin a good thing.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: gabester
Date: July 16, 2014 12:25PM
Zoidberg
Several of us have been doing that for a couple of seasons now; it's not working. Nothing's working. I've bought two Mac minis in the last year (long story; one was for a client). I've bought several displays in the last two years and the Thunderbolt Display is still the same one from 2011.

I suspect it may actually happen this time around; two new Minis getting deployed tomorrow and the day after for OS X Caching Server benefits at sites.

Pretty much whenever I get Apple hardware for work it's outdated within the month.
Posted by: Black
Date: July 16, 2014 12:40PM
But what about the useless crippled graphics?
Hope you at least popped for the 2.6.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 16, 2014 06:08PM
Black
But what about the useless crippled graphics?
Hope you at least popped for the 2.6.

Yeah, the Intel 4000 graphics on the current Mini are completely useless for any Mac OS task. You can play Pong or watch 240p videos but only at like 9fps.

Really, take that piece of trash back and buy a Mac Pro and even then, you'd better not cheap out on the crap D300 graphics. Just get your nephew to use his Crayolas, the rendering will be more accurate.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: July 16, 2014 07:18PM
Lew Zealand
Yeah, the Intel 4000 graphics on the current Mini are completely useless for any Mac OS task. You can play Pong or watch 240p videos but only at like 9fps.

Most web video and VLC video will hit the CPU way harder than the GPU, so I'm not too worried about that for this purpose. I expect the quad i7 to handle everything that I throw at it pretty gracefully.

I'm swapping out the boot drive (SSD) from my 2008 Core 2 Duo Mini multimedia server into the new Mini and repurposing the old Mini as a replacement for a G4 that I've been using as a stopgap for the past year after my old desktop Mac died.

I figure this'll take care of some frame-lag that I'm seeing with 1080p MKV files in VLC on the server (again, it's mostly the CPU and not the GPU that counts here) and it'll give me roughly a 4x boost in speed at my desk.

That should keep me comfortable well into 2015 when the next Mini ships and has decent graphics. The old Mini will then get wiped and passed on to my brother while I get to luxuriate in Broadwell-heaven.

smiley-music039
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 17, 2014 09:10AM
I play Diablo 3 on my Mini and it works pretty well. I think most of the "issues" stem from the fact that i'm using a Mac. Not really that I'm using a Mac with crap video. I can play 1080p movies full screen with no hiccups too.

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 17, 2014 12:07PM
Chakravartin
Lew Zealand

Most web video and VLC video will hit the CPU way harder than the GPU, so I'm not too worried about that for this purpose. I expect the quad i7 to handle everything that I throw at it pretty gracefully.

I'm swapping out the boot drive (SSD) from my 2008 Core 2 Duo Mini multimedia server into the new Mini and repurposing the old Mini as a replacement for a G4 that I've been using as a stopgap for the past year after my old desktop Mac died.

I figure this'll take care of some frame-lag that I'm seeing with 1080p MKV files in VLC on the server (again, it's mostly the CPU and not the GPU that counts here) and it'll give me roughly a 4x boost in speed at my desk.

That should keep me comfortable well into 2015 when the next Mini ships and has decent graphics. The old Mini will then get wiped and passed on to my brother while I get to luxuriate in Broadwell-heaven.

smiley-music039

I was just poking fun at Black, The only downside to the current (previous-gen) Mini is the graphics are Intel 4000, not Intel 5000 or Intel Iris (aka Intel 5100). It makes a difference in FPS games but both cards are so low-level that they really aren't a consideration for a big gamer. They should get an iMac. For the rest of us, the 4000 is perfectly fine and in fact, my Intel 3000 has handled everything I've thrown at it because I don't game.

However I'm holding out for Intel 5000 or whatever with Thunderbolt 2 so I can drive a 4K 2160p display to get 1080p Retina at 60fps. The reason that Mini hasn't been made yet, though all the technology has been available for almost a year, is that the iMac is not TBolt 2 yet and there is no bloody way Apple will release a Mac Mini with TBolt 2 before an iMac with that spec.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: July 17, 2014 02:50PM
Ok. Macbook Pros should get a bump too. Just ordered the 15" Retina 2.6 16/512 w/ Applecare from Adorama VIP for $2599 shipped. I'll need it in the next month or so, so I'm not risking much. If they release a bump, maybe just maybe they'll also release a new TB display to go with it.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 18, 2014 04:52PM
Leader!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 146
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020