The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Report: Malaysian plane crashes in Ukraine near Russian border: Interfax report
Posted by: DP
Date: July 17, 2014 10:50AM
Sky news reporting it was shot down.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Report: Malaysian plane crashes in Ukraine near Russian border: Interfax report
Date: July 17, 2014 10:51AM
[www.cnn.com]
Re: Report: Malaysian plane crashes in Ukraine near Russian border: Interfax report
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 17, 2014 10:54AM
They forgot to bring their flares?
Date: July 17, 2014 11:01AM
free-there are just under 300 people on board...
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 17, 2014 11:09AM
This could be huge!

"KIEV (Reuters) - A Malaysian airliner was shot down over eastern Ukraine by militants on Thursday, killing all 295 people aboard, a Ukrainian interior ministry official was quoted as saying by Interfax-Ukraine news agency.
The aircraft, which other sources said was a Boeing 777 flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, came down near the city of Donetsk, stronghold of pro-Russian rebels, Anton Gerashchenko said, adding that it was hit by a ground-to-air missile."
Posted by: billb
Date: July 17, 2014 11:18AM
and Russia is claiming the plane came down just as over a dozen rockets were launched into Russia from Uk.

Let's post propaganda and hyperbole while the plane is still burning.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 17, 2014 11:40AM
Note to self: 2014 is not the year to try out Malaysia Airlines. confused smiley

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 17, 2014 11:43AM
billb
and Russia is claiming the plane came down just as over a dozen rockets were launched into Russia from Uk.

Let's post propaganda and hyperbole while the plane is still burning.

I see a link to CNN and a quote of a Reuters release.

You seem to be the only one posting propaganda & hyperbole.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 17, 2014 12:04PM
A tragedy.
Posted by: artie67
Date: July 17, 2014 12:04PM
Here's the BBC's account that includes a ground photo.\[www.bbc.com]
Date: July 17, 2014 12:05PM
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 17, 2014 12:30PM
freeradical

BBC News
The BBC's David Stern in Kiev: "Everybody at this point is denying any type of involvement in the crash "

It wasn't me!!
Date: July 17, 2014 12:31PM
It's almost like the plot of a James Bond movie:

- Evil (fill in the blank) acquires (fill in the blank) weapon,
- secretly uses weapon to destroy (fill in the blank) in a manner that leads contentious countries/forces X and Y to each conclude that the other country/force initiated the hostile act upon them.
- countries/forces X and Y formally declare war and decimate each other in the process
- evil (fill in the blank) uses resulting chaos to rise to world domination
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 17, 2014 12:40PM
DeusxMac
It's almost like the plot of a James Bond movie:

- Evil (fill in the blank) acquires (fill in the blank) weapon,
- secretly uses weapon to destroy (fill in the blank) in a manner that leads contentious countries/forces X and Y to each conclude that the other country/force initiated the hostile act upon them.
- countries/forces X and Y formally declare war and decimate each other in the process
- evil (fill in the blank) uses resulting chaos to rise to world domination

I was channel-flipping and came across one of the Pierce Brosnan 007 films where Dr. Evil sank a British warship then shot down a Chinese fighter to start WWIII.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: July 17, 2014 12:45PM
Reminds me of the time the Ruskies shot down Korean Flight 007 and we shot down that Iranian airliner. Amazing in this day and age (9/11 attacks not withstanding) that civilian airliners can be mistaken for a military threat.
Date: July 17, 2014 12:54PM
I just don't understand flying over an active war zone.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 17, 2014 12:58PM
Just heard a U.S. 'expert' say that NATO air control should be able to say where and how any missile originated. This will not be a mystery for very long.
Posted by: Black
Date: July 17, 2014 01:08PM
This seems to be remarkably entertaining for some of you.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: July 17, 2014 01:11PM
Black
This seems to be remarkably fascinating entertaining for some of you.

Fixed that... the human animal is fascinated with pain and suffering that we avoided ourselves. The same trait causes rubberneck traffic blocks at every accident on the road. Entertaining ? Well, not in a fun way.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 17, 2014 01:27PM
cbelt3

In addition to losing another flight recently, this completely confuses me as to why they would fly through there.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 17, 2014 01:44PM
Reports out of the area may well be wrong, but I keep hearing the 777 was shot down by an SA-17. That's a huge missile, size of a telephone pole. It takes several trucks worth of gear (launcher, radar, electronics, power) to target and fire one, to say nothing of a sizable trained crew. Not the kind of thing Joe Schmuck Terrorist/Separatist can just pick up and fire.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 17, 2014 01:45PM
really tough times for Malaysia Airlines right now. They still don't have a clue where MH370 is and now this on top of that? Will people still fly MH in the near future? How much will MH business suffer from these 2 disasters?
Posted by: numbered
Date: July 17, 2014 01:48PM
The FAA ordered US airlines to avoid the area in April.....
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 17, 2014 01:50PM
pRICE cUBE
cbelt3

In addition to losing another flight recently, this completely confuses me as to why they would fly through there.

was wondering the same thing - OTOH, you never expect a commercial jet to get shot down just following a normal route.
BBC reporting:
"Italy's Alitalia has joined the growing list of airlines to announce it is diverting flights away from eastern Ukraine in the wake of the incident. The list also includes: Lufthansa, Air France, British Airways, Russia's Aeroflot, Turkish Airlines."
Date: July 17, 2014 01:53PM
19:00:

A tweet (in Russian) from a key Twitter account used by pro-Russian separatists, in which they claim to have captured a Buk surface-to-air missile system, has now been deleted, BBC Monitoring observes. Ukrainians say the Malaysian plane could have been downed with a Buk, but pro-Russian rebels have now denied they have it.
[www.bbc.com]

Of course they have.
Date: July 17, 2014 02:02PM
pRICE cUBE
cbelt3

The world's airlines have been warned not to fly over that area of the world. Why where they there?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 17, 2014 02:12PM
DP
The world's airlines have been warned not to fly over that area of the world. Why where they there?

The cynical answer is it is the most direct route. That means it saves fuel and that increases profits.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: July 17, 2014 02:44PM
Ombligo
DP

The cynical answer is it is the most direct route. That means it saves fuel and that increases profits.

It would/will also almost certainly affect all the air corridors which would then have to accommodate all the aircraft diverted out of this normally standard corridor. With the resulting domino effect on travel times, fuel requirements, takeoff and arrival times etc. etc..
Posted by: JoeM
Date: July 17, 2014 03:27PM
This is really very tragic:

"Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 Passenger Joked On Facebook “If It Disappears, This Is What It Looks Like
Cor Pan, reportedly a Dutch passenger on the downed Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17, made a joke about the flight on Facebook before taking off Thursday morning...."

[www.buzzfeed.com]

JoeM
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 17, 2014 03:47PM
JoeM

"Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 Passenger Joked On Facebook “If It Disappears, This Is What It Looks Like
Cor Pan, reportedly a Dutch passenger on the downed Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17, made a joke about the flight on Facebook before taking off Thursday morning...."

[www.buzzfeed.com]

The crash is tragic. The joke preceding the crash is coincidental.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 17, 2014 04:27PM
Terrible tragedy that shouldn't have happened. So many lives wasted...and for what?

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: July 17, 2014 04:43PM
N-OS X-tasy!
JoeM

[www.buzzfeed.com]

I wonder if their family members and friends will find the joke in light of the crash merely coincidental.

JoeM
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 17, 2014 04:55PM
So the rebels got sloppy with their new toy?

[en.wikipedia.org]
Date: July 17, 2014 04:56PM
JoeM
N-OS X-tasy!
JoeM

[www.buzzfeed.com]

I wonder if their family members and friends will find the joke in light of the crash merely coincidental.

but it DID NOT Disappear. We know where it crashed.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 17, 2014 05:39PM

They will be devastated, distraught, and grief-stricken.

They may be in no condition to realized the joke was made before the flight, and was in fact coincidental.

Others aren't suffering that consideration.

I'm sure the family members and friends won't find the tasteless jokes and comments made after the fact, particularly comforting.

But hey, as long is it's not our family members or friends on that plane, anything goes.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: bruceko
Date: July 17, 2014 06:14PM
I don't think it is a coincidence That Malaysian air has lost 2 planes in 6 months. Malaysia has its own terrorist problems.
Can anyone believe what Joe Biden says? It usually turns out he was "misinformed".
Date: July 17, 2014 07:34PM
Wow

Interfax reported that Mr. Putin said later, during a meeting about economic issues that he started with a moment of silence for the victims of the crash, that “the government under whose territory this happened holds responsibility for this horrible tragedy.”
Date: July 17, 2014 07:39PM
RAMd®d

They will be devastated, distraught, and grief-stricken.

They may be in no condition to realized the joke was made before the flight, and was in fact coincidental.

Others aren't suffering that consideration.

I'm sure the family members and friends won't find the tasteless jokes and comments made after the fact, particularly comforting.

But hey, as long is it's not our family members or friends on that plane, anything goes.

Yeah, exactly. I think the irony of that post, even though coincidental, will be the cause of even more pain for some of their loved ones, unfortunately. That was the point I was trying to make.

JoeM
Date: July 17, 2014 08:21PM
freeradical
Wow

Interfax reported that Mr. Putin said later, during a meeting about economic issues that he started with a moment of silence for the victims of the crash, that “the government under whose territory this happened holds responsibility for this horrible tragedy.”

maybe he was referring to the self-proclaimed rebel government in Eastern Urkaine.

(Wishful thinking, I think he was referring to the official Ukrainian Government.)
Posted by: decay
Date: July 17, 2014 10:08PM
Howard Stern's gas.

[www.salon.com]

Introduced by co-host Krystal Ball, the caller, identified onscreen as “Staff Sgt. Michael Boyd, U.S. Embassy in Ukraine,” said, “Well, I was looking out the window and I saw a projectile flying through the sky. And it would appear that the plane was shot down by a blast of wind from Howard Stern’s ass.”

“It would appear that the plane was shot down,” repeated Ball, who asked the caller what “from your military training” might have contributed to the crash. “You’re a dumbass, aren’t you?” asked the caller before Ball threw to commercial.

---
Date: July 17, 2014 11:08PM
just heard this:

"Many of the passengers aboard the Malaysia Airlines flight that crashed in eastern Ukraine on Thursday were World Health Organization staffers heading to a conference on AIDS research in Australia, the Guardian reported.

Approximately 100 of the passengers on board were heading to Melbourne for the conference, The Sydney Morning Herald reports, citing conference attendees.

Former International AIDS Society president Joep Lange was a passenger on the plane, the paper reports.

“Joep had an absolute commitment to HIV treatment and care in Asia and Africa,” Kirby Institute Director David A Cooper said in a University of New South Wales press release. “The joy in collaborating with Joep was that he would always bring a fresh view, a unique take on things, and he never accepted that something was impossible to achieve."

Glenn Thomas, a spokesperson for WHO's Global TB Program, was also among the victims, according to a fellow staffer."
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: July 17, 2014 11:13PM
That is devastating.
Posted by: Anthony
Date: July 17, 2014 11:45PM
At 30,000 feet.
That is some serious missile...

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared. - Buddha...

anthonysalvo.com
Date: July 18, 2014 12:00AM
Anthony
At 30,000 feet.

The Block II SM-3 that's launched from the Aegis platform has a flight ceiling of 1500 km.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 18, 2014 01:01AM
That BUK has a range of 25000 meters. Well above commercial aircraft and almost all military aircraft. (197 feet - 15.5 miles)
Posted by: neophyte
Date: July 18, 2014 09:03AM
freeradical
Anthony
At 30,000 feet.

The Block II SM-3 that's launched from the Aegis platform has a flight ceiling of 1500 km.

Flight ceiling or max range? 1500 km is about 930 mi ! Is it a satellite killer too?
Date: July 18, 2014 11:00AM
neophyte
freeradical
Anthony
At 30,000 feet.

Flight ceiling or max range? 1500 km is about 930 mi ! Is it a satellite killer too?

Yes
Posted by: max
Date: October 22, 2014 07:09PM
mikebw
freeradical

BBC News
The BBC's David Stern in Kiev: "Everybody at this point is denying any type of involvement in the crash "

It wasn't me!!
German intelligence, quite inconveniently, shows that BUK missile was provided by the Ukrainian government, not Russia.
The facts are such a bother....
[au.news.yahoo.com]
Ukraine cannot explain the deployment of the antiaircraft missile unit that close to battle lines in the first place. Ukraine was the only one using any aircraft in the conflict in the first place....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 69
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020