advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"That's one small step for a man, a giant leap for mankind." 45 Years ago July 20
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 19, 2014 01:47PM
Moon Day July 20th 1969

[www.chron.com]

Apollo 11, 45 Years Later: What’s the Mission? [innovationinsights.wired.com]
By Rod Pyle
Sixty-six years after that first tentative flight of the Wright Brothers at Kittyhawk, North Carolina, Apollo 11 landed on the moon.

As of this month, it’s been 45 years since that landing, and 43 years since the last steps were taken on the moon. It seems longer.

The Apollo lunar exploration program was an enormous and spectacular undertaking. Almost 400,000 people and 5% of the national budget went into the endeavor. Then, in 1972 with Apollo 17, we simply stopped cold. The Apollo 18 rocket sent Skylab aloft in 1973; the Apollo 19 and 20 rockets languish in museums, along with four spare Lunar Modules. Collectively, they are the most expensive exhibits ever built.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "That's one small step for a man, a giant leap for mankind." 45 Years ago July 20
Posted by: eustacetilley
Date: July 19, 2014 02:21PM
On July 20th, 1999, I announced over the PA that there would be Cake and Coffee served in the High-Bay at 10AM.
There was always Cake and Coffee being served in the High-Bay. Birthdays, promotions, something accepted by Phys. Rev. L. ...

I had ordered the cake, some kind of yellow sheet cake, with Dark Gray Buttercream Frosting. I ordered it a week ahead, and paid in advance, because it was a rather odd request.
I brought it in to the Control Room at just around 9AM, and we spent the next hour or so dosing it with powdered sugar, and incising the image below onto the top:

The presentation of the cake was met with a general meh, but it was eaten nonetheless.

I was 13 when We landed on the Moon. I don't remember much else about that Summer.

Eustace
Re: "That's one small step for a man, a giant leap for mankind." 45 Years ago July 20
Posted by: neophyte
Date: July 19, 2014 03:13PM
I listened to the landing live. On a 2 transistor radio. Broadcast by the BBC out of Cyprus. I was 16, sitting at the foot of a ladder in a pear tree orchard in Kibbutz Erez, Israel. I leapt up with pride at Armstrong's words. No one else around me was interested. I didn't pick many pears that morning.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 19, 2014 03:19PM
It was fun while it lasted.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 19, 2014 05:48PM
I wasn't old enough to appreciate. I remember watching the TV in rapt attention for maybe 1/2 hour. But the broadcast went on ALL DAY and was on every channel. I was dreadfully bored when he finally took a few steps....
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: July 19, 2014 06:52PM
I heard the landing on a short-wave radio in the hills of Nepal. My neighbor wondered why anyone would want to go to the Moon. I couldn't really explain.

When I was younger, I thought that by now I'd be on a ship to Alpha Centauri. As it is, there isn't even a colony on the Moon. We haven't gotten to Mars.

The cost of access to space is a big obstacle. Mag-lev technology may offer a cheaper way:

[en.wikipedia.org]

[www.amazon.com]

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: July 19, 2014 08:21PM
I watched a couple hours of coverage on our old B&W TV. Only thing that really stands out now was Cronkite's reaction at hearing those words, he actually teared up a bit.

I also remember asking my mother if they planned to make every future space shot a media event--it'd get kind of old by the time people started going to Mars.
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 19, 2014 08:51PM
Somewhere in my family archives is a photograph of our black and white TV as the moon landing was being shown. Having grown up with men always having been on the moon, I did not understand the significance that my family would take such a picture until years later.
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: July 20, 2014 12:18AM
I remember Walter Cronkite going through the astronauts' schedule, which called for a nap after the moon landing. I thought, how in the universe were they supposed to take a nap after landing on the freakin' moon? How ridiculous. Apparently NASA rethought it, because the nap time was canceled.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: July 20, 2014 05:40AM
[www.youtube.com]

I remember driving my grandmother home, pointing at the moon and saying that there were men on it. We had a great discussion about scientific progress in her lifetime.

Paul

Posted by: DP
Date: July 20, 2014 08:32AM
Some friends and I watched it all live. I remember it like it was yesterday!
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 20, 2014 08:59AM
Wow, great memories! I was 17 and, along with tens of thousands of other people, sat in the rain in a grassy field in Central Park (NYC) waiting for the epic moment. Huge screens had been put up so we could all watch history in the making. Even in the rain, it was very much a carnival mood; a great time to be an American! patriot smiley
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 20, 2014 11:43AM
I was eleven way back when. Around here we were all glued to the tube during the history making event.

I soooo wanted to be an astronaut during the Apollo years. Heck, I thought by the time I reached adulthood, we would have a moon base with regular flights back and forth.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: July 20, 2014 04:05PM
This is the perfect day for:
[youtu.be]

Amazes me how many I run into who actually believe it was all faked. As Stephen Fry said, there was a Cold War going on: wouldn't the Russians have jumped at the chance to accuse the U.S. of fraud?

I recall seeing the landing on a little black & white TV screen at some small diner in Wyoming, or Colorado (at age 16, on a Western vacation with parents). Figured we'd be on Mars by now, with rockets heading for Alpha Centauri.

Okay, one more Mitchell and Webb sketch, semi-appropriate for a space-themed day:
[youtu.be]
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: July 20, 2014 06:02PM
That was a good one on the 'fake' Moon landing, Polly. It's hard to figure how the conspiracy kooks can explain the Saturn V, if we weren't going to use it to go to the Moon.

I'll see you on the first ship to Alpha Centauri. startrek62

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 20, 2014 09:01PM
I must be one of the few in the US who did not get to see it. I was stuck in my summer job as a camp counselor, and the horrid beeotch who ran the place did NOT allow anyone into the main building to watch it. So none of the kids or staff got to see it. The B then had the nerve to get on the PA system and say "Look up at the moon, girls!"

I still want to slap that fool.
Posted by: Don C
Date: July 20, 2014 10:45PM
I was in California waiting for the call to get on a plane to Vietnam. A small B&W TV was set up in the airport; my flight was called and they were still depressurizing the lander. I got to watch the step onto the moon and then ran to the end of the line.

Got a middle seat on an Orange Braniff stretch jet; great plane to fly into a war zone, I thought. Saw pictures and read the story late in the Stars and Stripes during a stopover on an island somewhere in the Pacific Ocean (Guam maybe).

Those were exciting times, though interest certainly did taper off quickly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 70
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020