advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New poll - sticky or sub forum for free items?
Posted by: mrp-admin
Date: July 23, 2014 10:00AM
Poll
Which do you prefer for the free items -
Voting is currently disabled for this poll.
114 votes were received.
Sticky at top of the Tips & Deals forum 16

14%
New sub forum dedicated to free items 54

47%
Once a month, Free Item Monday as it's been since the forum started 44

39%

(Thread closed)

Hi again,

Continuing the thread from here:

Previous thread (now closed)

Since the commenting was very spirited, and pretty equally split, we learned that:

• The majority of members want to continue giving their items away to other members
• Many hate stickies at the top of the page
• Many want a sub forum dedicated to giving items away (this would NOT be for SELLING, let's make that VERY CLEAR)
• And please remember, when it was asked a few months ago about splitting the forum into sub forums, there was a great outcry of how HORRIBLE that would be and that the majority HATED it. But now that it's a forum for free items, it's OK.... Confusing to say the least. smiling smiley

So... Please vote.

Thank you!
MRF-Admin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2014 09:34AM by mrp-admin.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New poll - sticky or sub forum for free items?
Posted by: pinion
Date: July 23, 2014 10:07AM
Can we just create a new post in the main forums with a subject like "FREE ITEM: 2011 MacBook Pro" and then describe in the post how to get it? Then not worry about sub forums or stickys.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 23, 2014 10:16AM
mrp-admin

• And please remember, when it was asked a few months ago about splitting the forum into sub forums, there was a great outcry of how HORRIBLE that would be and that the majority HATED it. But now that it's a forum for free items, it's OK.... Confusing to say the least. smiling smiley

i don't remember the specifics of the discussion a few months ago but generally the split forum discussions have been around making separate areas for OT or Mac Questions or iOS questions. that kind of balkanization we don't need. the free item sub-forum is a horse of a different color.

i hope those voting take the time to read the previous thread to understand the thought process that has evolved so far.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 23, 2014 10:38AM
pinion
Can we just create a new post in the main forums with a subject like "FREE ITEM: 2011 MacBook Pro" and then describe in the post how to get it? Then not worry about sub forums or stickys.

I'm interested in the MacBook Pro. Leave me a PM on how much you need to ship it. smiley-shocked003

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 23, 2014 10:45AM
This:

Once a month, Free Item Monday as it's been since the forum started
Posted by: StingMe
Date: July 23, 2014 10:59AM
graylocks
...generally the split forum discussions have been around making separate areas for OT or Mac Questions or iOS questions. that kind of balkanization we don't need. the free item sub-forum is a horse of a different color.

I agree.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 23, 2014 11:49AM
None of the above. See my post in the other thread-- not a subforum, but a wholly separate website address (that people can go visit or not, their choice). If that's not possible, then I vote for a continuous sticky, in order to avoid the threat of Balkanization. grinning smiley

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Black
Date: July 23, 2014 11:53AM
pinion
FREE ITEM: 2011 MacBook Pro
I'll take it if nobody else has claimed it.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: July 23, 2014 12:12PM
The MBP has been claimed smiling smiley

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Date: July 23, 2014 12:14PM
Just a note in regard to the monthly sticky-- it hasn't really been happening regularly and I don't think the admins are offering to take charge of it here.

Posted by: billb
Date: July 23, 2014 12:27PM
Black
Just a note in regard to the monthly sticky-- it hasn't really been happening regularly and I don't think the admins are offering to take charge of it here.

Which would make a continual separate room free item first monday maybe more convenient and one way to find out if everyone's closets are just cleaned out or if a lot of people just forget.

Unless someone wants to volunteer to start the sticky the first of the month every month as is the dedication required of the Birthday Faery a separate forum might be convenient.
Worth a try, IMO.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2014 12:30PM by billb.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 23, 2014 01:35PM
Subforum with a sticky on Free Monday only, whether once a month or once a week I don't care pointing to the Subforum, so people get a memory jog (and new people, if any were to show up, could learn about it).

It's time for everyone to get over their PTSD about subforums. One little extra forum on here is hardly going to tip the boat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2014 01:37PM by $tevie.
Date: July 23, 2014 03:05PM
$tevie
PTSD about subforums.

Ouch :-)

Posted by: DRR
Date: July 23, 2014 04:39PM
One subforum is fine with me. Tips and Deals, Free sticky stuff, Friendly Political stuff.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 23, 2014 07:20PM
IMHO. The mix of multiple topics including free items is the spice of the forum.

There aren't enough items to give away even when we do this once a month. If someone wants to post outside of the that, they can do so any time.

This forum's pace has a topic up on the front page for about 2 days. This will slow the crawl even more. Splitting the traffic will be damaging to overall traffic on the main forum, it was the beginning of the end at DM.

Forum isn't broken, let's not fix it over a handful of items given away each month.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: July 23, 2014 07:35PM
The eternal battle of the lumpers versus the splitters...:-)
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 23, 2014 09:17PM
As a point to note, the first and third options are exclusive of the second option. For the group who do not want to split up the forums there are 2 different options to choose from and that is diluting their vote. Hopefully the decision makers realize that a vote for either 1 or 3 is a vote against number 2 and adds those two options together.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: iaJim
Date: July 24, 2014 02:35AM
What pRICE cUBE said!
Date: July 24, 2014 07:33AM
What iaJim said about what pRICE cUBE said! I think we need a new poll.

Posted by: DRR
Date: July 24, 2014 08:46AM
pRICE cUBE

There aren't enough items to give away even when we do this once a month. If someone wants to post outside of the that, they can do so any time.

You know what, I've changed my mind. If this is going to be ok (giving away stuff outside of the once a month schedule) then I vote to just keep the sticky like we do it now.

A lot of times, things go to goodwill or wherever just because I don't want to wait until next month, or I don't want to clutter up the forum with a free stuff thread that's off schedule. If I'm cleaning house, I don't want the stuff sitting around for another month, that defeats the whole purpose of cleaning house.

So if you guys are cool with that I'm just going to do that moving forward.
Date: July 24, 2014 08:56AM
C(-)ris
As a point to note, the first and third options are exclusive of the second option. For the group who do not want to split up the forums there are 2 different options to choose from and that is diluting their vote. Hopefully the decision makers realize that a vote for either 1 or 3 is a vote against number 2 and adds those two options together.

Option 2 wins either way.

Date: July 24, 2014 11:00AM
pRICE cUBE

Forum isn't broken, let's not fix it over a handful of items given away each month.

Yeah.

Why did this topic become such a burning issue all of a sudden?
Date: July 24, 2014 11:47AM
freeradical
pRICE cUBE

Yeah.

Welcome to the internet? angry villagers smiley

Date: July 24, 2014 12:06PM
freeradical
pRICE cUBE

Yeah.

You guys aren't big picture people, that's fine.
You're forgetting that the admin(s) would like to find a way to be able to cut down on their day to day work involved in running the forum.

I don't quite get your intense fear relative to trying something new.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 24, 2014 03:15PM
Would having another link for one more subforum really bother folks that much? It's not like it's compulsory reading....

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Gareth
Date: July 24, 2014 05:35PM
pRICE cUBE
IMHO. The mix of multiple topics including free items is the spice of the forum.

This forum's pace has a topic up on the front page for about 2 days. This will slow the crawl even more. Splitting the traffic will be damaging to overall traffic on the main forum, it was the beginning of the end at DM.

Here's an idea (not sure if it's feasible): separate sub-forum, but every new topic gets cross-posted in the main forum. That way everyone will see it, but it's also easy to review other items (by visiting the sub-forum), in case things don't get claimed right away. If the sub-forum really takes off, then the cross-posting could get turned off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2014 05:35PM by Gareth.
Date: July 24, 2014 05:58PM
Gareth
pRICE cUBE

Here's an idea (not sure if it's feasible): separate sub-forum, but every new topic gets cross-posted in the main forum. That way everyone will see it, but it's also easy to review other items (by visiting the sub-forum), in case things don't get claimed right away. If the sub-forum really takes off, then the cross-posting could get turned off.

That sounds kludgy to me. It's just one more click, one more tab, if you want to see the free item stuff.... Perhaps an 'unread' option for signed in users to see if there are new posts in another subforum would be helpful?

rj
AKA
Date: July 24, 2014 07:17PM
I think there should be no cross-posting at all. You snooze, you lose.
I do think the process for declaring interest/deciding who gets the goods should be public though-- PMs only after the winner wins the item.
My biggest concern when giving stuff away is that it goes to someone who can use it, not just someone who can't resist free stuff or intends to sell it-- so this way we could spot a 'hoarder' if there was one.
All that has nothing to do with the admins, though.

Posted by: Drew
Date: July 24, 2014 09:39PM
pRICE cUBE

Agree! If this forum had more traffic and action, then maybe something different.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: July 24, 2014 09:47PM
I haven't checked the older thread but my .02¢ on the subject is go with the new sub forum.

I don't frequent the forum as much as I used to but do tend to visit during Free Stuff Monday. I also planned to dump some junk post up usable items every month but never have the time or energy around the 1st of the month. If we had a Free Stuff section, it may increase traffic overall and have more lurkers actually post up and/or participate or even former hourly regulars like me visit the forum more often.

Also with a "Trading Post" type sub forum - there is NO TIME LIMIT or restraint on when something can be posted PLUS once a item is sold/gone/spoken for - that thread can just fade out.... (after "seller" says item is gone and "buyer" says he received and thanks "seller".

Also I think I click the 'Friendly' Political Ranting sub forum maybe once or twice a year if that, I pretty much don't even remember it is there. All those who are against another sub forum - is it REALLY that hard to ignore another two word link???
Date: July 24, 2014 09:49PM
ArtP
I haven't checked the older thread but my .02¢ on the subject is go with the new sub forum.

I don't frequent the forum as much as I used to but do tend to visit during Free Stuff Monday. I also planned to dump some junk post up usable items every month but never have the time or energy around the 1st of the month. If we had a Free Stuff section, it may increase traffic overall and have more lurkers actually post up and/or participate or even former hourly regulars like me visit the forum more often.

Also with a "Trading Post" type sub forum - there is NO TIME LIMIT or restraint on when something can be posted PLUS once a item is sold/gone/spoken for - that thread can just fade out.... (after "seller" says item is gone and "buyer" says he received and thanks "seller".

Also I think I click the 'Friendly' Political Ranting sub forum maybe once or twice a year if that, I pretty much don't even remember it is there. All those who are against another sub forum - is it REALLY that hard to ignore another two word link???
You're missing the part of the argument that states that replacing one monthly thread with a subforum is going to slow forum traffic to a crawl.

Posted by: Don C
Date: July 24, 2014 10:18PM
I don't see how moving a once a month sticky will have ANY effect on normal traffic. It's not like free stuff is the main content of most threads here and removing those will mean that there is no more conversation.

I voted for the new sub forum if just to remove the timing issue of the first Monday thread. If there is a problem with slow traffic, I would expect it to be the new Free Stuff forum after we have given away most of our stuff.

Whatever we do, I expect to come here most every day and enjoy the wide ranging conversations. Sometimes I learn useful stuff!
Posted by: ArtP
Date: July 24, 2014 10:40PM

You're missing the part of the argument that states that replacing one monthly thread with a subforum is going to slow forum traffic to a crawl.

How so? Right now I have NO CLUE what is going on in friendly Political Ranting and have no desire to find out. If I go click that link now will that some how cause PeterB's hamster that powers this forum to not run as fast?

IF a forum regular were to click that link and see what is happening in there - it may make topics move a little slower because that regular MAY not post over here in general population for a few minutes/hours.

Define slow? This forum software is sort of robust I'm sure. I'm sure 3 or 20 posts per day in a sub forum will not bring the internet to a crawl. I get raped by comcast EVERY month for high speed internet. I'm sure the service that they provide will allow me to view text and a few pics on a sub forum without bringing this part to a crawl.
Date: July 25, 2014 03:14AM
ArtP, I believe that Black was being facetious.

Posted by: Jack D.
Date: July 25, 2014 07:06AM
If the sub forum idea sounds too radical and the constant sticky is going to be an issue then what about just prefacing a normal inline post with the [FREE] tag?

[FREE] New Mac Pro and 42" Display

It's really no different than the occasional [OT] or [RYF] post and the all caps make it very noticeable. Nobody goes to another sub forum, op can edit the offer with GONE when it's taken and it will slide into oblivion like all the other dead topics as their useful life ends.

Example:

[FREE] New Mac Pro and 42" Display

***GONE***

I bought this new Mac Pro and 42" display for my wife as a surprise but she decided to stick with her P3 350 running Win95. I'd keep it but I don't really need it just for reading my electronic mail on the internets. FREE for shipping.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: July 25, 2014 11:32AM
I think we should try a separate Trading Post forum (items for sale or trade or wanted), with a Free Items sub-forum.

So there.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Date: July 25, 2014 11:36AM
mrlynn
I think we should try a separate Trading Post forum (items for sale or trade or wanted), with a Free Items sub-forum.

So there.

/Mr Lynn

Sounds fine to me-- post the link once it's up and running!

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 25, 2014 12:09PM
How about if we just eliminate the 'Friendly' Political Ranting side and use that for the free items forum?

Most folks that hang out on this side hardly ever visit that side anyway and the people who DO hang out there are virtually the same folks who have been arguing there from day one and absolutely never accomplish anything other than calling each other names. IOW, it's wasted space. devil smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: July 25, 2014 12:47PM
Rick-o
How about if we just eliminate the 'Friendly' Political Ranting side and use that for the free items forum?

Most folks that hang out on this side hardly ever visit that side anyway and the people who DO hang out there are virtually the same folks who have been arguing there from day one and absolutely never accomplish anything other than calling each other names. IOW, it's wasted space. devil smiley

How about one forum called "Friendly Political Ranting and Free Items?"

Date: July 25, 2014 12:59PM
Black
Rick-o

No, please don't. That would be....un-kind.

- Jack D.

Date: July 25, 2014 02:27PM
Jack D.
Black
Rick-o

No, please don't. That would be....un-kind.

OK then-- how about:
1) Tips, Deals, "Friendly" Political Ranting, Cameras for sale
2) Free Stuff

Date: July 25, 2014 04:28PM
Rick-o

I've always wondered how people who supposedly don't hang around over there are such experts on it.

Posted by: Sam3
Date: July 25, 2014 05:07PM
Wow, this discussion is breaking down into childishness. Keep it up guys, and maybe the macresource people will shutter the whole kit and kaboodle.

Why are some resistant to change? As was stated earlier, as well as on the previous sticky thread, the "Free Item" sub-forum is different enough that it won't change the traffic pattern in the Tips & Deals sub-forum.

IT IS NOT LIKE WHAT HAPPENED AT DEALMAC!!!! There the users had no input, and the sub-forums all became too similar to each other that no one wanted to participate any more. It also didn't help that the forum owners/moderators became draconian in enforcing topic posting location correctness.

Besides, if it doesn't work out, close the Free Item sub-forum and go back to what was done before. Sheesh! Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.
Date: July 25, 2014 05:48PM
$tevie
Rick-o

I've always wondered how people who supposedly don't hang around over there are such experts on it.

emoticon_love LURKERLUV! emoticon_love

rj
AKA
Posted by: timg
Date: July 25, 2014 06:24PM
Not to get all rational or anything, but I think we need a new poll.

From the votes, people favor keeping the free items in this forum rather than creating a new
forum (14 for permanent sticky +34 for status quo = 48 vs 43 for create a new forum).

So, how about we have 2 polls with only 2 options each:

first poll - leave it here vs create new forum

second poll - permanent sticky vs status quo

Then we can move on with our lives.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Date: July 25, 2014 06:50PM
timg

From the votes, people favor keeping the free items in this forum rather than creating a new
forum (14 for permanent sticky +34 for status quo = 48 vs 43 for create a new forum).

NO! CREATE NEW SUBFORUM! STOP TRYING TO DISTRACT FROM THE ONE TRUE POLL! smiley-excited001

rj
AKA
Posted by: timg
Date: July 25, 2014 06:53PM
rjmacs
timg

NO! CREATE NEW SUBFORUM! STOP TRYING TO DISTRACT FROM THE ONE TRUE POLL! smiley-excited001

I think this whole topic needs its own sub-forum!

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 25, 2014 07:02PM
I can't believe that there are so many strong opinions. If stickying and unstickying a thread is more than the present admin wants to deal with and would rather set up a sub forum - just do it. We'll all figure it out and deal with it eventually.

One thing I can guarantee - if there is change, people will gripe about. If there is no change, people will gripe about it. So you might as well do as you please.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: July 25, 2014 08:18PM
hal
One thing I can guarantee - if there is change, people will gripe about. If there is no change, people will gripe about it. So you might as well do as you please.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

/Mr Lynn
Date: July 25, 2014 08:21PM
hal
I can't believe that there are so many strong opinions. If stickying and unstickying a thread is more than the present admin wants to deal with and would rather set up a sub forum - just do it. We'll all figure it out and deal with it eventually.

agree smiley
He's right you know, we're putting way too much brain power into this issue.

- Jack D.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020