advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Heart Stopping Thrill Of The Day! And I Do Mean Thrill!
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 07, 2014 09:47AM
Maybe this video has already been posted, since it's about a year and a half old, but still worth a look.

Did this pilot keep his chit together or what? smiley-shocked003

[www.youtube.com]

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Heart Stopping Thrill Of The Day! And I Do Mean Thrill!
Posted by: carl
Date: August 07, 2014 09:59AM
Pretty amazing landing
Posted by: Joseph C.
Date: August 07, 2014 10:05AM
Sorry- [www.snopes.com]
Posted by: richorlin
Date: August 07, 2014 10:09AM
Faked. Advertising stunt using a model plane and trick photography.
Check out Snopes:
[www.snopes.com]

richorlin
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: August 07, 2014 10:10AM
Interestingly, when I first saw this video a few years ago, I knew immediately that it was fake...and not because flying on one wing/sideways couldn't be done (as it can) but because the plane didn't seem to behave with the right 'inertial' properties (it bounced around too lightly for something of that size/mass). I have an eye for these sorts of things.
Date: August 07, 2014 10:17AM
Dang! Faked out once again!!

Sure looked real to me, but what do I know? dunno smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 07, 2014 10:17AM
Carnos Jax
Interestingly, when I first saw this video a few years ago, I knew immediately that it was fake...and not because flying on one wing/sideways couldn't be done (as it can) but because the plane didn't seem to behave with the right 'inertial' properties (it bounced around too lightly for something of that size/mass). I have an eye for these sorts of things.

Yeah, this. I remember when it first started circulating. My pilot friend had the same comment re/reaction of the plane.

Posted by: billb
Date: August 07, 2014 10:52AM
So was I once myself a swinger of birches;
and it looked fake to me, too.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 07, 2014 11:03AM
I have a bridge for sale I can let you have cheap....... eye rolling smiley
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 07, 2014 12:51PM
There is, however, a video someplace of an F-15 (I think) that managed to land with one wing mostly sheared off...
That one is real.
Someplace, there's a version where you can hear the radio chatter, and right after he comes to a stop on the runway, his wingman who guided him down tells the pilot "Dude, look over your left shoulder, you're not gonna BELIEVE what you just landed with...".
Interview with the pilot, he said something like, "it's a good thing I hadn't looked while I was in the air... I'd have ejected right then, because it's impossible to fly and land a plane with that kind of damage - or so I thought"

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2014 12:52PM by Paul F..
Date: August 07, 2014 12:57PM
Paul F.
There is, however, a video someplace of an F-15 (I think) that managed to land with one wing mostly sheared off...
That one is real.
Someplace, there's a version where you can hear the radio chatter, and right after he comes to a stop on the runway, his wingman who guided him down tells the pilot "Dude, look over your left shoulder, you're not gonna BELIEVE what you just landed with...".
Interview with the pilot, he said something like, "it's a good thing I hadn't looked while I was in the air... I'd have ejected right then, because it's impossible to fly and land a plane with that kind of damage - or so I thought"

Yes! I remember that one. That one was probably more unbelievable than this one.

<Rick-o shuffles off to search for said video>

EDIT: Found it. [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2014 01:03PM by Rick-o.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 07, 2014 01:39PM
Carnos Jax
and not because flying on one wing/sideways couldn't be done (as it can)

There is no way that plane could have flown as it did in the video after "losing" the wing if it had in fact lost the wing. The imbalance of forces on the left and right sides of the plane would have made it impossible.

I find your claim that a plane can fly on a single wing questionable (assuming you were not referring to a monowing plane). Can you cite any specific instances where this occured?

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2014 01:42PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: August 07, 2014 03:41PM
The plane with the single wing would have to be flying sideways (and hence the fuselage would be creating the required lift--along with engine thrust to create additional thrust counteracting gravity--while the remaining wing wouldn't be doing anything except generating drag). And depending on the geometries of the particular airplane design (like the F-15 incident Paul mentioned) it is possible for a pilot to quickly react to sudden asymmetric lift with appropriate counter inputs (just as a guess elevator nose up input to create a high enough angle of attack for body and remaining wing lift, left aileron down to destroy lift on the outermost portion of the remaining wing span thus reducing the worst of the right roll tendencies, right rudder to eliminate the left yaw created by the drag of the remaining left wing as well as to counter some of the right roll tendencies created by the portion of the left wing generating lift).

There are a couple of youtube videos of RC airplanes (accidentally) reproducing the event in the viral video.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2014 04:01PM by Carnos Jax.
Date: August 07, 2014 03:43PM
Rick-o
Paul F.
That one is real.

Yes! I remember that one. That one was probably more unbelievable than this one.

<Rick-o shuffles off to search for said video>

EDIT: Found it. [www.youtube.com]

FWIW, the scenes showing the F-15 with half the wing were not real (it was created for the documentary). As far as I'm aware, there was no video footage of the event.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 07, 2014 03:45PM
Ahem...
Three minutes in.. if you're too impatient to watch the whole thing :-)
[youtu.be]

N-OS X-tasy!
Carnos Jax

There is no way that plane could have flown as it did in the video after "losing" the wing if it had in fact lost the wing. The imbalance of forces on the left and right sides of the plane would have made it impossible.

I find your claim that a plane can fly on a single wing questionable (assuming you were not referring to a monowing plane). Can you cite any specific instances where this occured?

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 07, 2014 09:41PM
There is no way that plane could have flown as it did in the video after "losing" the wing...

You were apparently in good company.

According to the documentary cited, engineers from the manufacturer originally thought the same thing.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 08, 2014 02:34AM
OK, watched Paul's video... even before I reached the segment where it was explained that this was the case, it seemed to me the reason the F-15 was able to fly with only one wing was that the insane amount of thrust produced by the plane's engines enabled it to act like a rocket.

Such would definitely NOT be the case for the plane in the OP's video. I stand by my original statement.

EDIT: One other advantage the F-15 enjoyed is its very large tail "wings" that surely acted to stabilize the aircraft.

Paul F.
Ahem...
Three minutes in.. if you're too impatient to watch the whole thing :-)
[youtu.be]

N-OS X-tasy!
Carnos Jax

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2014 02:44AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: August 09, 2014 02:59PM
When an airplane flies a level flight path, in a 90-degree bank, there is no lift being produced by the wings to keep the airplane aloft. All the lift is being created as a combination of engine thrust and fuselage lift. Many aerobatic airplanes can do this, so I wouldn't dismiss it as an impossibility.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020