advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Pool inspection
Posted by: davemchine
Date: August 07, 2014 12:59PM
I am still in the process of buying a new home. The house inspection went well and today is the pool inspection. I am not familiar with pools maintenance at all so I would appreciate any shared knowledge that might help me while the pool inspector is there. Here is what I know.

The pool is gunite (concrete?)
It has those pop up sprinklers to aid filtration but they don't appear to be working as the pool is dirty on the bottom
There is a clear viewing tube by the pump with a chunk of something green in it. It looks solid.
There is a large metal gas tank(like welding) near the pump, I don't know what it's function is.
There is a retractable motorized pool cover, the kind someone can stand on, replaced one year ago
It has natural gas for heating

Any questions I should ask the pool guy? Thanks.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Pool inspection
Posted by: carl
Date: August 07, 2014 01:28PM
Might be that the filtration system runs fine, that it just hasn't been used/maintained as of late. The solid green in the clear tube is probably algae. I would want to know if the heater does work and circulates water through it, and that the filtration system is functional .... pump functions and circulates water the way it is designed, the filter is functional. The fact the pool is dirty and algae seems to be present means, no one has been cleaning or maintaining (chlorine/pH levels). Hopefully it just needs a good cleaning and proper maintenance. I would also have the inspector show you how to operate the system and back flush the filter.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 07, 2014 01:36PM
You're buying an in-ground pool that has been left alone for a year. This is a divorce house, right ? So most of the 'honey do' maintenance stuff has been '@#&*(&! don't'.

The big tank thing may be the filter. Either sand or Diatomaceous earth. Or some sort of chemical insertion system. Or a tank of air set there to blow out the lines in preparation for opening. Or some other voodoo thingy.

If it's dirty and green the filter hasn't been working or used. Some sellers just shut them off.

Things to watch for:
Pool finish- gunite (sprayed concrete) flaking, damage, etc. They need to be acid washed, spackled, and repainted periodically. Not cheap.

Leaks in the underground pipes. Major Mojo $$$$ Like... fill the damn thing in if you can't run liners through the pipes.

Heater failure- very common. The heating pipes have a lifespan.

Filter problems
Pump age and bearing problems.

Pools are a hole in the back yard that you throw money into. Good luck !
Posted by: rz
Date: August 07, 2014 01:46PM
Your best bet is to have a local pool service company perform a service call to get the pool "setup" after you move in. They can also show you what you need to do to maintain it on your own.

My first house had a pool and that's what I did. I sorta miss having a pool at my current house, but don't miss the work involved in keeping it clean. But that's offset by the amount of lawn I have to take care of... the pool and concrete decking took up the vast majority of the back yard.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 07, 2014 02:19PM
Just don't leave the "pool guy" alone with your wife.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: August 07, 2014 02:44PM
Stock it with bass and some snappin' tartles (to keep the kiddies out!), grab a rod and a six pack and do some tournament fishin' in your own private see-ment pond.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: evilrobot
Date: August 07, 2014 03:13PM
cbelt and rz pretty much nailed it. definitely find a reputable pool service to get everything up to speed. you'll know you have a decent one when a tech will take some time to show you how everything works.

i have the built in 'jet sweeps' and it works better in concept than real life. still needs to be manually brushed weekly and vacuumed (which i did buy a suction side automatic cleaner).
Date: August 07, 2014 04:22PM
Thank you so much for the good advice and information. This is new territory for me.

I learned the pool has been maintained by a local company for the last two years. They installed ALL new hardware to the tune of $15k. They are supposed to be getting me a list of what was done.

During the divorce the maintenance schedule was changed from every week to "whenever."

The sweeping heads are connected to a special filter and that filter is clogged, hence the dirt.

The big tank is CO2 which helps control the PH level in the pool. I'm told this takes the place of muriatic acid and the seller was opposed to chemicals when he could avoid them.

The chunk of green in the site tube is either zinc or copper (I don't remember) and is supposed to assist in the filtration process but I didn't really understand that part.

The filter is sand but I'm told it could be converted and that it would be worthwhile so that might be a project for next spring. I would welcome thoughts on that topic.

So I think overall the news is good. There is a small water leak by the pump that needs to be fixed and it is scheduled for cleaning tomorrow. The maintenance cost was a little shocking. So I will probably allow them to finish out the year and shut it down but next year I will need to learn how to maintain it on my own

I also learned the same company installed the hot tub less than two years ago to the tune of $15k. I never dreamed I'd have a nice hot tub like that so that is a big bonus.

Tonight we write the addendum to the offer to that will include maintenance items. Most are small so I am anticipating and full agreement by tomorrow or early next week. Then I will breath easier for a few minutes before I start looking for a moving company. :-)

[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 07, 2014 04:38PM
Sounds like you hit a home run there, amigo.

Sand filters are very functional. Some prefer DE... I've had both, and I find a good sand filter , properly backwashed, is easier to manage. Then again I've always had above ground pools from large to medium size. In ground is a whole other level of complexity.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 07, 2014 05:13PM
Congrats on the new house.

A couple dozen loads of sand and a concrete topper will take care of your pool.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: August 07, 2014 07:19PM
davester
Just don't leave the "pool guy" alone with your wife.

I do all the work on my pool, and I haven't been in the pool for 6 or 7 years,
I guess that makes me the "pool guy".

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Date: August 07, 2014 07:47PM
I received the list of items serviced on the pool from the maintenance company. I don't know what these items are so I rely on my friends here to tell me if this is good or not.

Here is a list of the pool items we have installed and/or replaced since the spring of 2013.

1) Pool filter pump
2) Hi-rate Sand filter
3) Mastertemp gas heater
4) CL Free Ultra system
5) Polaris in-floor valve
6) 5-in-floor cleaning heads
7) Cover pools safety cover fabric

The hot tub is the HotSpring Spas model Grandee that we installed in May of last year.

[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: August 07, 2014 08:49PM
I have a salt water system and a cartridge filter, so I don't think I can help you. I am sure that each "system" has pluses and minuses. The main problem with my pool is that it is not screened in so I get a lot leaves during the winter and palm tree "flowers" that fall in the spring and summer. I spend about 30 minutes a day during pool season, April through early November.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 08, 2014 12:48AM
Sounds like the buying/selling process is now going fairly normally, did you ever figure out why they wanted the lawyer present for the inspections?
Posted by: billb
Date: August 08, 2014 04:15AM
Jack D.
Stock it with bass and some snappin' tartles (to keep the kiddies out!), grab a rod and a six pack and do some tournament fishin' in your own private see-ment pond.

snappers usually swim away from soup-eaters.
you want to keep kids outta the pond, stock it with leeches.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: August 08, 2014 09:41AM
The ex-wife's lawyer has had some unusual requirements but in the end we were able to skip having extra people at the inspection. The addendum has been presented as of late last night (probably this morning sometimes) and they ave 5 days to respond. All of the items added together are about $4k which is pretty small for this house. I'm not anticipating too much trouble at this point but of course I won't relax until we have an agreement to the addendum.

[colquhoun.info]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020