advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Repair permissions question
Posted by: DP
Date: October 01, 2006 06:08PM
Just curious: when I RP (like I just did before I loaded 10.4.8) the pane always shows the hard drive description, e.g., 465GB Hitachi and indented below it the Macintosh HD icon. I notice that if i select one or the other the information at the bottom of the window is different. It seems to do the job regardless of which one I choose. So, why are there the two choices for the one HD displayed and why is the info displayed different?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Repair permissions question
Posted by: rexrzer
Date: October 01, 2006 07:19PM
The HD description is just that, the physical description, brand, model number, and it's always called "Disk" when you click on the "info" button. You can't Repair Permissions on the Disk if you select it, at least not on my Tiger 10.4.8 ystem...you can verify or repair the HD but not RP.

The 2nd choice is for the Volume, and it's called "Volume" if you hit the "info" button, with its description, size, name etc there. You RP on the Volume, not the Disk. That's why there's a window there in the 1st place: to identify your Disks vs. their Volumes.smoking smiley

What's the difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make some sense.
Posted by: DP
Date: October 02, 2006 06:39AM
I don't know, Rex, because it doesn't matter which I choose, but permissions get repaired regardless. I 'll check it out tho'...
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 02, 2006 08:12AM
What's the difference between Verify and Repair?
Posted by: Donkey Hotay
Date: October 02, 2006 11:03AM
Verify reads the filesystem state (permissions values) and compares it with the documented 'good' state. It reports differences, but does not make any changes.

Repair reads the filesystem state (permissions values) and compares it with the documented 'good' state. It reports differences, and makes any needed changes.

=DH
Donkey (Ye Olde Farte of ye Internette) Hotay is a Tilted Windmill® enterprise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2006 11:04AM by Donkey Hotay.
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 02, 2006 03:44PM
Thank you DH. I still don't understand why to bother using Verify at all, why not just go for the Repair if changes are needed?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 132
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020