advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How well do you know your next door neighbor?
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: August 11, 2014 07:38AM
Or his wife?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How well do you know your next door neighbor?
Posted by: billb
Date: August 11, 2014 07:52AM
I've met the neighbor wife a few times , over-the-fence as it were.
She's got the kind of cleavage that's really really hard to keep your eyes out of.
Was I supposed to notice or remember anything else ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 11, 2014 08:00AM
Not too well, but To say Hi to and loan tools to. The one on the left is divorced and selling the house. The one on the right are a cute younger couple with three little kids. Both are perhaps 5' 2". Not the 'little couple', but I definitely loan ladders to them. Nice people. The lady behind me is divorced, and my youngest is buddies with her younger son. She's scary smart and quite pretty, and I know far too much about her dating exploits courtesy of her gossiping son. But a very nice person.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: August 11, 2014 08:21AM
Very well. Every Saturday nite there are (at least) 3 neighbor households - 10/12 people - that come to my back yard for a camp fire. We have been doing this for about 4 years now and only stop during the very cold or wet weather. Last fall we were out there in December all bundled up in winter coats, hats and gloves sipping hot coffee or other warm drink when it started to lightly snow. It was wonderful!

My trees are lit with hundreds of tiny white Christmas lights and we sit around the fire pit talking, eating and sipping a cocktail (or two). Most of the time I have the grill going and there's some sort of pot luck spread on the picnic table. No phones allowed and the only music is the sound of the fire and nature.

We all tend to agree that this is not the normal way that most people interact with their neighbors and when they tell people at work about this ritual they get odd looks. People in general don't seem to understand the old ways anymore and the natural response is to not bother others with a kind word or a smile. With technology we seem to have lost something of our humanity.

So yeah, I'm comfortable with my neighbors and their children and this dynamic would be the biggest factor in my ever considering a move elsewhere.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 11, 2014 08:28AM
"She's got the kind of cleavage that's really really hard to keep your eyes out of."

this_thread_is_useless_without_pics
Posted by: Black
Date: August 11, 2014 08:42AM
I don't live in a 1960s TV show-- no "husband and his wife" next door.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 11, 2014 09:11AM
I have never met one of my neighbors despite us both living next to one another for 20+ years. He is a recluse and some other neighbors who met him describe it as a run-in rather than a greeting. Otherwise I've met the others although only a couple do any socialization. Our lots are acre+ in size, so that explains a bit of it, but doesn't really excuse it.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 11, 2014 09:21AM
Jack D- That's awesome. I've had neighbors I didn't like, and neighbors I really missed when they moved. The integrity of a neighborhood like yours is awesome.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: August 11, 2014 09:40AM
The neighbor on my left sold me my house; she was the realtor who showed me the place. She and her husband was just over my house last night. Her husband is in advertising. Their kids are friends (sort of) with mine.

The neighbor on my right is a good guy, as is his wife. Their kids are grown. He is in marketing.

The neighbors across the street are retired for 20+ years. I plow out their driveway each winter snowfall with my blower. The neighbor diagnonally is my golfing buddy.

And I know the folks 2 doors down reasonably well as well.

One of the main reason that I stayed at my house (and did reconstruction) instead of moving was the fact that my neighbors are so friendly and nice. We all watch out for each other.

Plus our community is a good one.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2014 09:41AM by wowzer.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 11, 2014 09:41AM
Nice kids (late 20's) on one side, we talk to them at least weekly.

Other side, I've spoken to the guy once in the year we've lived here, and never even seen his wife. Seemed like a nice guy that one time, though, and I don't hold a desire for privacy against anybody.
Posted by: carl
Date: August 11, 2014 09:57AM
All of my neighbors are elderly and don't seem to get out much. We just moved here this past year so we are slowly getting to know them. I know their names, but our interactions have been pretty limited.

The one neighbor I have interacted with the most, invited me into his home and showed me all the stained glass work he has done. I don't think he does to much anymore, but his house is packed full of stained glass projects he created over the years.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 11, 2014 10:39AM
When I was 13 and had a paper route, I knew the names of half the people in a four block radius. Now I only know two of the 36 in my current apartment bldg.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: blooz
Date: August 11, 2014 10:56AM
Directly across the street, pretty well. We don't socialize much but we used o go to the sme church and we look out for each other. The next guy down across the street is an eighty or nearly eighty crusty old dude who has a little trouble walking but has a nice tractor which he sometimes uses to dig out my drive in the winter when the town plows erect a four foot high wall of packed snow.
Next house is 100 yds down the street and has three rentals. Don't know them. On the other side the ground drops off to a 30 foot incline into the river. No neighbors.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Ammo
Date: August 11, 2014 11:02AM
My neighbors to one side are a couple of very nice guys, although they are pretty shy. We have a new couple on the other side, but haven't got to know them very well yet. Barbie and Ken moved in across the street this year, but they are not our type. About 3 long-time neighbors who we are very friendly with, but don't get together socially. To me, that's the ideal neighbor.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: August 11, 2014 11:21AM
For at least 10-15 years, I haven't seen enough of the various tenants directly across the hall to even recognize them in passing. The apartment is constantly rented out by the greedy jerk who owns the apartment but who is not required to either live in it or sell it, in violation of coop rules, by the slimy folk on the coop board. However, they have chosen to enforce the rule on some owners, which has forced out some really nice neighbors…

I know only a few long-term residents of the building.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 11, 2014 11:36AM

Mrs. Samsky ... my kinda neighbor

Larry's Other Neighbor. You never know (say the Coen Brothers)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2014 11:44AM by Steve G..
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: August 11, 2014 11:39AM
Next door to the West is a fellow who's just not very talkative. He works on air-cooled VWs. Too customized for my taste. He's not hostile at all, just not the tiniest bit outgoing. I believe his wife recently left him and took their teenage daughter.

On the East is the prototypical Little Old Lady. She's really nice and I like her a lot. But she has a psycho weiner dog. So I can't talk to her without the little monster freaking out. I often wish the little pest would just hurry up and have an aneurysm and keel over. Next door to her lives her son and his family. They're super nice.

Directly across the street is a fellow and his wife and sometimes their son, who's in his 20s. I don't talk to the wife beyond waving hello. I talk to the father but he's weird. Their son stands out in the driveway and smokes (not allowed to smoke inside) and coughs. I mean, death-rattle, phlegmy goober coughs. I hate it, especially at one in the morning. He's not right in the head. Something is a little off with him. Thankfully he's not there all the time any more.

I have some other neighbors but I'm tired of typing now.

Posted by: davester
Date: August 11, 2014 12:14PM
We're very tight with all of our neighbors. We are often outside chatting in the street, which is pretty much a playground for most of the neighbor's kids. We have potlucks at different people's houses pretty frequently, and we've even gone on vacation (including boating in France!) with some of the neighbors. There's one grumpy guy across the street, but I can even sometimes get him involved in a conversation.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: rz
Date: August 11, 2014 12:30PM
Next door neighbor and his wife are nice enough, but we don't really socialize with them. Although I did borrow his lawn mower last month when mine was in the shop. The gay couple on the other side, across the street, we know very well. One of them watches our cats when we're out of town. Couple across the street in front of us does our taxes, but we don't really socialize with them.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: August 11, 2014 12:37PM
not very.

Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 11, 2014 02:47PM
Don't know how well I know her after twenty five years, but I married her anyway...

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: Z
Date: August 11, 2014 03:54PM
Pretty well - we live in a small cul-de-sac road and a half. Held a neighborhood party a few summers back that got most people outside and chatting.. generally at least know everyone in passing and nearby neighbors and a few others quite well.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 11, 2014 05:24PM
I live on a dead end road, last house on the left. Woods on one side leading to the lake, more woods behind me, with a stream running through to the lake. On the other side is Howard, an active 84 year old man who lost his wife about 10 years ago and his dog 2 years ago.

We know him quite well and he often seems starved for conversation. When he gets on a roll, you almost have to excuse yourself after awhile, as he goes on and on with his stories from years past. We get along well with him, and he gave us a key to his house in case of an emergency. He has three grown kids and a few grand kids, but they rarely visit him. A bit sad, really.

Only a few other houses on our street. Larry and Jan across the street, but they're snow birds and will be leaving for FLA in a few months. Next to Larry and Jan was Olga, a ninety something elderly woman who took care of herself right up to last year when her family put her in a home. Her house was vacant and for sale until a few weeks ago when they decided to rent the house until its sold. A 39 yo man with his daughter. Don't see much of them. I waved to him once when he was outside as I drove by. Other couple of houses are weekenders who pop in from time to time.

It's a quiet neighborhood, and that's the way I like it! Very different from the bigger city I was born and raised in.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: August 12, 2014 12:19AM
Nice thread.
I have a lot of really nice neighbors, rarely does more than a day or few go by without having a conversation w/ one or more of them.

But unfortunately there has to be a spoiler in the crowd, and I have the very poor luck to have the ultimate neighbor from hell living behind me. A truly vile, ill-tempered and paranoid individual who regularly seems to make a point of casting his ugly sinister shadow on the neighborhood. It's like an ongoing test of character.
Posted by: 3d
Date: August 12, 2014 09:14AM
I always make it a point to chat up the neighbor two houses to the left of me. He has snowblower smiling smiley
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 13, 2014 09:35AM
I know them all except for those in the house across the street and three doors down. But then I'm the one with the snowblower. We've lived here 24 years.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 134
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020