advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Raspberry Pi
Posted by: DavidS
Date: August 13, 2014 09:33AM
Are any of y'all using one of these? The new B+ model looks like an incremental improvement from the B (more USB ports, microSD slot). I'm thinking of getting one to run XBMC on my basement HDTV.

For a bit cheaper than another Roku, what the heck. Maybe I'll find some other uses for it as well.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Raspberry Pi
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 13, 2014 12:49PM
I've been pondering one to use as a HTPC. I would prefer gigabit Ethernet and USB 3.0, though.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 13, 2014 12:55PM
These are fun devices, we use them as DIY computer systems. The XBMC is an easy way to start using a Pi.
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: August 13, 2014 01:08PM
They're fun to play with, but if you're just looking to play video, you'd probably be better off with a Roku or a Chromecast.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 13, 2014 01:11PM
MGS_forgot_password
They're fun to play with, but if you're just looking to play video, you'd probably be better off with a Roku or a Chromecast.

XBMC is a pretty nice interface, and it's easy enough to add a hard drive to the Raspberry Pi to add media.

This is quite a bit different use scenario than a Roku or a Chromecast.
Date: August 13, 2014 01:21PM
I started using XBMC on an original Xbox (bought off Craigslist for this purpose only). I've used it on an Apple TV1 and 2 (since sold) and my jailbroken iPhone, so I'm familiar with all the things it can do.

I also have 2 Roku boxes (a 2XS and 3) that have the Plex channel to access my home media server (running Plex Media Server).

I think the cost of another used Roku would be about the same as the Raspberry Pi, but I like the idea of tinkering with that and finding other uses as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2014 02:21PM by DavidS.
Posted by: Tofer
Date: August 13, 2014 02:14PM
I hacked a 7-day, web-connected timer to my espresso machine with a raspberry pi and some wires and solder. It was a pretty fun project, and now my espresso machine is all warmed up by the time I get out of bed. smiling smiley
Posted by: p8712
Date: August 13, 2014 02:16PM
I have a Raspberry Pi B (no plus) running raspbmc. It works great. Rasplex works pretty well as a plex frontend too. Anything specific you want to know? Mine uses a couple of of bucks a year in electricty and interates with my Samsung TV's CEC, so I can use the Tv's oem remote to control it.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: August 13, 2014 04:52PM
I wish you could still watch Amazon Instant Video via XBMC. That was one of my favorite add ons when I used XBMC as a media front end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2014 04:54PM by silvarios.
Date: August 13, 2014 04:58PM
silvarios
I wish you could still watch Amazon Instant Video via XBMC. That was one of my favorite add ons when I used XBMC as a media front end.

Hmm.. I thought that there was an Amazon Instant plug-in the Bluecop repository. Also, I read that you can enable AirPlay streaming on XBMC and send it over from another source (i.e. iPhone).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2014 05:00PM by DavidS.
Date: August 13, 2014 05:09PM
Amazon enabled DRM over a year ago. Unless Amazon changed course or a work around was found????

When I used Amazon on iOS, AirPlay was disabled. Amazon enabled AirPlay video about a month after I sold my iPad 3. Because of course they did. That's just how things always work. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2014 05:10PM by silvarios.
Date: August 13, 2014 07:31PM
Airplay works great to the Pi. You turn a single setting on and it 'just works' I've used ipads and iphones with no problem.
Date: August 14, 2014 03:32AM
p8712
Airplay works great to the Pi. You turn a single setting on and it 'just works' I've used ipads and iphones with no problem.

You mean via XBMC? That's how I tend to use AirPlay on non Apple devices.
Date: August 14, 2014 08:34AM
silvarios
p8712

You mean via XBMC? That's how I tend to use AirPlay on non Apple devices.

Oops, yes, in XBMC.
Date: August 14, 2014 08:36AM
Just double checking. There might be other AirPlay receiver implementations. Glad you like your Pi and AirPlay works well. I don't have many iOS devices or Macs left, so AirPlay isn't as much of a concern these days, but AirPlay receiver used to be the holy grail for me.
Posted by: tenders
Date: August 14, 2014 10:17PM
We use a Raspberry Pi to play videos on the DVD screen of our minivan, using the RCA inputs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 124
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020