Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
[not for Robert M] Some Brother Laser Printer deals
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 17, 2014 10:19AM
Sorry Robert, I thought I'd start with a silly joke smiling smiley

Brother HL-2280DW Wireless All-in-One Monochrome Laser Printer $100 + Free Shipping @ STAPLES

[slickdeals.net]

This one has DUPLEX printing, WiFi and Ethernet (and USB I think), but no ADF (no Auto Document feeder, so you have to scan 1 page at a time).

If you do not need WiFi and would rather have ADF instead (I think the ADF is not duplex though which means you still have to flip the pages to scan the other side and then re-order the pages), COSTCO has a different model on sales for similar price

Brother DCP-7065DN Compact Laser Multi-Function Copier with Duplex Printing and Networking

[www.costco.com]

none of these have FAX though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2014 10:24AM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: [not for Robert M] Some Brother Laser Printer deals
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 17, 2014 10:39AM
I successfully refilled my Brother's generic toner cartridge with fresh toner for about $20 a color. Works fine.

For bw printing, I bet the cost of supplies is well under a penny a page.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: August 17, 2014 11:18AM
Based on recommendations here I purchased a brother laser printer and i have been thrilled with it. Rock solid reliability. No more fudging around with paper jams. No more "this inject cartridge isn't 100% full" messages. I couldn't be happier. Thank you all for the good recommendation. I have the Brother HL-2270DW so I assume the one in this thread is slightly better.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: carl
Date: August 17, 2014 11:31AM
I have been very happy with my Brother HL-2280DW wireless printer. I really like being able to print both sides of a sheet of paper. I got it at Staples about 18 months ago, for $100. No problems with it so far.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 17, 2014 01:02PM
Space,

LMAO! Nopes. Not for me. But, a reminder to everyone, if you buy from staples.com, don't forget to use coupons or discount codes to reduce the price of the purchase.

Robert
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 17, 2014 01:55PM
carl
I have been very happy with my Brother HL-2280DW wireless printer. I really like being able to print both sides of a sheet of paper. I got it at Staples about 18 months ago, for $100. No problems with it so far.

agree smiley

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 17, 2014 02:00PM
We're really pleased with our 2280DW so far. Best $100 I've ever spent on a printer. As it happens, I just started getting the "Toner Low" message. Care to enlighten me on the best (most economical) way to deal with that, other than buying Brother replacement toner?
Date: August 17, 2014 02:11PM
wurm
We're really pleased with our 2280DW so far. Best $100 I've ever spent on a printer. As it happens, I just started getting the "Toner Low" message. Care to enlighten me on the best (most economical) way to deal with that, other than buying Brother replacement toner?

I've had good luck with remanufactured/generic cartridges from amazon. Fair warning, though - it can be a crap shoot. When i say i've had good luck, i mean just that.

rj
AKA
Posted by: August West
Date: August 17, 2014 03:06PM
I grabbed a 5350(?), duplex, monochrome about 3 years ago from costco for 119, and it's been great.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Date: August 17, 2014 04:39PM
Thanks, rjmacs. Just thought of something. Does the trick of shaking the toner cartridge to get a little more mileage out of it work for these cheaper Brother units, too? We do it at work all the time for the HP we have there.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 17, 2014 04:58PM
rjmacs
wurm

I've had good luck with remanufactured/generic cartridges from amazon. Fair warning, though - it can be a crap shoot. When i say i've had good luck, i mean just that.

For Brother specifically or for laser jets in general ?

Amazon has some reasonable color carts for HP CLJ Pro 200 that have more good reviews than bad.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: August 17, 2014 05:36PM

Thanks, rjmacs. Just thought of something. Does the trick of shaking the toner cartridge to get a little more mileage out of it work for these cheaper Brother units, too?

If you look around the web, you'll find info on taping over the window that allows monitoring of toner levels. I got a lot more mileage out of my starter cartridge doing that.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Date: August 17, 2014 05:38PM
Funny, but I had no idea how many pages we've printed with this this thing. I just checked and it say 365 total pages. The manual states that the unit ships with a starter cartridge, but even that should yield ~700 pages.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 17, 2014 06:33PM
August,

The tape trick only works for some Brother laser printers. On the HL-2270DW, I can confirm it doesn't work. There is also an issue where the "Printer is running low on toner" error appears in the printer queue and never goes away, even with a new cartridge installed per the manufacturer's instructions. It's happening on my parent's Brother HL-2270DW and a buddy's HL-2270DW. They've ignored the error for months.

C(-)ris said it was due to a driver error on the part of Apple in this thread:

<[forums.macresource.com];

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2014 06:34PM by Robert M.
Date: August 17, 2014 08:08PM
billb
rjmacs
wurm

For Brother specifically or for laser jets in general ?

Amazon has some reasonable color carts for HP CLJ Pro 200 that have more good reviews than bad.

I can only speak to Brother cartridges. I have learned not to trust positive Amazon reviews on items that have fewer than 500 reviews. I get more reliable info from negative reviews. It's way too easy for a seller to pay folks to shill for them (or order their own merch, be a 'verified purchaser,' then write bogus positive reviews for their own merch for nothing more than the fee they pay amazon for the sale). With generic carts, it's often hard to find a seller with that many reviews....

rj
AKA
Date: August 17, 2014 09:58PM

The tape trick only works for some Brother laser printers. On the HL-2270DW, I can confirm it doesn't work.

Don't have the 2270, but maybe this will help.

Toner

Posted by: sekker
Date: August 18, 2014 01:04AM
Monoprice carries cartridges for some Brother printers.

I've had mixed success with them.

I have a green supplier that's ok too. Just have to shop around. Most are not from Amazon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020