advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
RYF? - Brother HL-2270DW duplexing wireless monochrome laser printer @ Amazon for $75
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: August 20, 2014 10:37AM
Don't click on it unless you're seriously considering buying it, as there is some belief that Amazon raises prices when a product gets more traffic (this printer is normally on Amazon for $100-$130...it just dropped yesterday):

[www.amazon.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: RYF? - Brother HL-2270DW duplexing wireless monochrome laser printer @ Amazon for $75
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: August 20, 2014 10:42AM
FYI , this printer gets very good reviews and is a best seller at the $100+ price point, so for $75 it's probably hella good, especially if u don't have to pay sakes tax and get free Prime shipping.
Re: RYF? - Brother HL-2270DW duplexing wireless monochrome laser printer @ Amazon for $75
Posted by: evilrobot
Date: August 20, 2014 10:47AM
Solid printer. The Brother laser printers I have owned have been low maintenance workhorses.
Posted by: thermarest
Date: August 20, 2014 10:48AM
Price on this seems go vary pretty frequently and dramatically. This is the 2nd lowest, but lots of instances of $80ish.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2014 10:50AM by thermarest.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 20, 2014 10:53AM
FWIW, the drum alone is that much. if you have another printer that uses the same engine, get this for the spare drum.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 20, 2014 10:54AM
I own one. I recommend it. The only limitations are.. it is very poor when printing from the manual feed slot. There are no guides in the manual paper path. Alignment is pretty much not going to happen.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 20, 2014 10:54AM
Robert M, in for one? devil smiley

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 20, 2014 11:08AM
Hi everyone,

It's a good price for the machine. I recently saw it for a similar price at staples.com (before factoring in coupons and discounts). Newegg.com has it for the same price. This model is on sale often enough that nobody should ever pay more than $75.00 or so for it.

You may be able to use discount codes and such to reduce the price of the printer if you buy it at newegg.com.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2014 11:10AM by Robert M.
Posted by: carl
Date: August 20, 2014 11:14AM
I own this printer and paid $100 for it, $75 is great price for it. It's a great duplexing, wireless printer.
Posted by: Janit
Date: August 20, 2014 11:24AM
space-time
FWIW, the drum alone is that much. if you have another printer that uses the same engine, get this for the spare drum.

Meritline sells generic drums for $17.95. Don't know if they are any good...
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 20, 2014 12:25PM
cbelt3
I own one. I recommend it. The only limitations are.. it is very poor when printing from the manual feed slot. There are no guides in the manual paper path. Alignment is pretty much not going to happen.

Are you sure about that, the diagram in the user manual shows a manual feed paper guide. (It's on the first page after the table of contents)

Bandwidth Warning large PDF
[www.brother-usa.com]
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 20, 2014 01:26PM
GGD
cbelt3

Are you sure about that, the diagram in the user manual shows a manual feed paper guide. (It's on the first page after the table of contents)

Bandwidth Warning large PDF
[www.brother-usa.com]

The feed is really short, and the outcome is often slightly skewed.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: robfilms
Date: August 20, 2014 03:10PM
is the wireless operation easy to set-up?

does every apple laptop in my household have direct access to the printer?

or does the printer need to be tethered to the house's wireless router?

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 20, 2014 03:12PM
Rob,

It'd be easier to have the printer connected to a router via hardwire or wifi. Then, once your computers are on the router's wifi network, they'll have access to the printer. Less complicated.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2014 03:12PM by Robert M.
Posted by: Z
Date: August 20, 2014 03:23PM
I have the printer and it is easy to set up and works well. That said, it comes with a starter toner that you can burn through quickly - so plan ahead and get a large capacity one (OEM or third party - your pic) at the get go.

The wifi setup for this particular model is not as straight-forward as it should be - I just purchased one in July. Somewhat simplified with a ethernet/USB cord for the initial wifi setup.

The Wirecutter on their favorite cheap printer (2270DW being the former favorite and current runner up)

That said, even some of the positive user reviews point toward problems with the HL-2270DW. The main one is that setting it up on a wireless network without a USB connection or CD drive can be a nightmare, especially using a Mac. It’s an archaic process and the most common reason for owners to give it a one-star user review. It makes setting up the Samsung seem like a cakewalk.
To their credit, Brother does include a printed user manual with the 2270 and there are instructions for a few different setup methods, though they aren’t always clear. There’s tons of extra documentation on their website, and customer support was helpful when we called to ask for assistance. But it’s a convoluted process—nobody should have to jump through hoops like a circus animal to set up a damn printer.

Let’s walk through the best-case scenario. The easiest way to get the 2270 on the network without a cable or disk is through one-touch protected setup, where the router and printer communicate directly. Press the WPS setup button on your router, hit a different button on the printer, and wait for the devices to find each other. If it succeeds, the 2270 spits out a page letting you know that it worked. Voila. (Apple Airport base stations don’t have the one-touch button, but the First Attempt function in Airport Utility works the same way. The 2270’s instructions don’t mention this possibility.)

Seems simple, but it still took us three tries to connect. The printer’s instructions say to first press the button on the printer, then the router. We tried twice, and it didn’t work. The router’s instructions say to press the router button first, then the printer. That worked. When the first steps in the instruction manual are wrong, it doesn’t leave a great impression.

Once the printer and router are connected, Brother’s installation software (available for download) adds the drivers and tells the computer, “you can print with this now.” Then you’re done. Not so bad, even with the hitch in the protected setup instructions.

But! The installer is Windows-only, and Mac users need to manually add the 2270 to their printer list. The user guide doesn’t mention that little detail. There’s nothing more frustrating than following the directions to the letter and still not being able to get the thing to work.

We turned to Brother’s website to try to find help. Good news: They have instructions for this exact scenario. Bad news: It involves timed button presses, connecting to the printer through an ad-hoc wireless network, printing a series of status reports, manually entering an IP address into a web browser to connect to the printer’s semi-secret hidden control panel, entering a default username and password to gain admin status, and then messing around with some settings. (Good luck walking your parents through this process.)

And, oh yeah, then you need to manually add the printer to the system list anyway. It turned out that we didn’t have to go through all those steps. The printer and router connected successfully, but since there’s no screen, there’s also no menu, and therefore no obvious way to print out a status report—we had no easy way to know what was going on. The whole thing was an eye-opening experience.

The [support] call took about 40 minutes, give or take time spent on hold. But nobody should need to do anything like this to set up a printer. Not in 2014.
Look, plenty of people could follow these instructions if they put their minds to it, though it would be a challenge for those who don’t have the patience or technical knowledge to go through this themselves. On the bright side, Brother customer service will patiently talk anyone through the steps. We called for help with the HL-2280DW (see below) and pretended that we didn’t know anything. They walked us through a similar process to the one we just described. The call took about 40 minutes, give or take time spent on hold.
But nobody should need to do anything like this to set up a printer. Not in 2014. Other reviewers noted that networking the printer with the aid of an Ethernet or USB cable made things easier, but the 2270 doesn’t come with either one of those in the box. It’s a mess. F minus.
[thewirecutter.com]
Posted by: robfilms
Date: August 20, 2014 03:32PM
robert m/z-

very helpful.

thank you.

be well.

rob
Posted by: silvarios
Date: August 20, 2014 04:52PM
Man, I set up my last Brother, which had the same setup, if I remember correctly, as my even slightly older Brother in like ten minutes. Once you get the printer configure for WiFi, the Printer settings on OS X automatically found the printer and offered to download the drivers. The printer has a web config option.
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 21, 2014 11:20AM
I bought the 2280 version of this (w/scanner) for $99 when it was on sale. This is a good deal. And wireless was very easy to set up and we're loving that aspect of it. Just last week, my daughter said something along the lines of "You know what I really like about this printer? I can be downstairs and just hit "print" and I know it's going to print. I don't have to check to make sure your computer is on and awake."

We just started getting the Toner Low message, after only 365 pages on the starter cartridge. I'm keeping my eyes open for good deals on good aftermarket toner carts. Apparently it can be a crap shoot. As or right now, I'm leaning toward these folks, and I can't even give you a good reason why. ;)
Posted by: raz
Date: August 21, 2014 12:37PM
wurm
We just started getting the Toner Low message, after only 365 pages on the starter cartridge. I'm keeping my eyes open for good deals on good aftermarket toner carts. Apparently it can be a crap shoot. As or right now, I'm leaning toward these folks, and I can't even give you a good reason why. ;)

Go to the web interface and turn off the warning. It'll run fine for a few hundred more pages. When the print quality is low enough, then change the cartridge.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Date: August 21, 2014 01:00PM
FWIW - I was on a time-crunch and went to Office Despot for a new cartridge. They at least matched the price that OD sells the high capacity cartridges on Amazon - 44 vs 70ish in-store.
Date: August 21, 2014 01:03PM
Also a hard reset for the toner warning [www.danreetz.com]

Or reset the toner cartridge itself - [www.youtube.com]
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 21, 2014 08:04PM
Yeah, I saw all the tips about getting rid of the warning, either via web interface or putting it in "Continue" mode or whatever. Then I realized that for as often as I look at the display, I don't even need to think about it until the print quality diminishes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020