advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
No need to talk me out of this vehicle but...
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: August 21, 2014 02:28PM
Some know that I love my VW campervan and also love classic vehicles. This is coming up for sale at an auction that would combine them both and hey, there's an Apple connection as well!

[www.historics.co.uk]

Paul
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: No need to talk me out of this vehicle but...
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 21, 2014 02:40PM
that is quite a well appointed classic. The Bedford is an almost unkillable line... if you visit the subcontinent, you can see hundreds of them growling along the dodgy back roads, laden with all the possible goods in the world, and garishly and joyfully decorated and blaring the driver's favorite tunes.
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: August 21, 2014 02:52PM
That thing is VERY cool! Absolutely love it and I'm not a big VW and/or camper sort of guy. I do love me some classic motors, though.
Posted by: carl
Date: August 21, 2014 03:06PM
That's a beautiful vehicle and avery impressive conversion. I would love to have something like that, but I really like my 2002 Eurovan Camper too.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 21, 2014 03:33PM
You SOOOO have to get that!!!

Imagine, the original transported 26 to 29 passengers using only a 27 horsepower engine.

I'd suggest being very careful when sitting on the "macerator electric lavatory"

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2014 03:34PM by davester.
Date: August 21, 2014 03:43PM
A few weeks back there was a great auto auction held in The Los Angeles area that I believe was televised. Some great stuff there (maybe I'll start a new thread with some pics) that included this completely restored VW bus. Sorry I didn't get any interior shots but it was really nice as the auction/asking price may suggest. It went unsold I believe even after bids broke $100K. Incredible.

Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: August 21, 2014 03:51PM
I can understand putting in a modern drivetrain, but it's too bad they installed an interior that has absolutely no relation to the style of the vehicle. It's so generic an ugly.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 21, 2014 04:13PM
(vikm)
A few weeks back there was a great auto auction held in The Los Angeles area that I believe was televised. Some great stuff there (maybe I'll start a new thread with some pics) that included this completely restored VW bus. Sorry I didn't get any interior shots but it was really nice as the auction/asking price may suggest. It went unsold I believe even after bids broke $100K. Incredible.

The seller is a fool, should have taken the $100k and ran. Those aren't worth that much money. Going to take a very very very very very long time to find the right buyer that will spend over $100k for a VW bus.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: steve...
Date: August 21, 2014 04:27PM
The motorhome is nice, but IMHO, a more practical solution would be a nice little vintage trailer.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: August 21, 2014 04:42PM
Is that correct - "using only a 27 horsepower engine"?

That hardly seems possible.

Jeff
Posted by: modelamac
Date: August 21, 2014 04:57PM
Absolutely beautiful. If I were in the market, I'd buy it and use it. Here in the states, I'd need to add a generator and air conditioning. What size is the fuel tank?

voodoopenguin
Some know that I love my VW campervan and also love classic vehicles. This is coming up for sale at an auction that would combine them both and hey, there's an Apple connection as well!

[www.historics.co.uk]

Paul

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 21, 2014 06:33PM
(vikm)

I love that color!!

Why is it that most vehicles today are painted in bland, boring, and mostly ugly colors (black, white, "silver")?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: August 21, 2014 06:42PM
kj4btkljv

Jeff

I think horsepower units were larger back then; at least in the USA.

/Mr Lynn
Date: August 21, 2014 07:55PM
C(-)ris

The seller is a fool, should have taken the $100k and ran. Those aren't worth that much money. Going to take a very very very very very long time to find the right buyer that will spend over $100k for a VW bus.

It really was immaculate. They didn't miss a trick as I recall. What I don't remember was if there was anything special about the specific model, year or whatever. I mean, it coulda been like one of 50 made or something... I just don't recall other than it was pristine.

davester
I love that color!!

Why is it that most vehicles today are painted in bland, boring, and mostly ugly colors (black, white, "silver")?

It was really nice and my photo doesn't do it justice.

regarding today's colors, I'm partial to a nice black myself (someone is gonna make a reference to our fellow forum member. I just know it), but do appreciate a nice, tastefully unique color as well. That said, I did see some pretty loud orange color on some newer domestic muscle cars. I get the homage, but it's not to my liking.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 21, 2014 08:26PM
mrlynn
kj4btkljv

Jeff

I think horsepower units were larger back then; at least in the USA.

/Mr Lynn

Nope, the HP was measured the same then. The original engine was probably fairly high in torque, but low RPM. Also in the description was mention that with the original engine the maximum speed was about 40 mph.

P.S. 30 something years ago I drove buses. The diesels in the 35 foot models was rated at 180 HP and would travel at up to about 70 mph with a full load of passengers.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: August 21, 2014 08:51PM
Joe, I seem to remember something about horsepower ratings changing for American cars a few decades ago—maybe in the '70s? Maybe the manufacturers were using a different standard in order to exaggerate the HP. Something like that.

Could be misremembering, though.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: eustacetilley
Date: August 21, 2014 09:13PM
mrlynn
Joe, I seem to remember something about horsepower ratings changing for American cars a few decades ago—maybe in the '70s? Maybe the manufacturers were using a different standard in order to exaggerate the HP. Something like that.

Could be misremembering, though.

/Mr Lynn

You may be remembering the change from SAE Gross Horsepower, which was always risible, to SAE Net, which was almost realistic, being as such things as water pumps, exhaust, and alternators were hooked up.
Pretty much everybody else uses KW these days, even the French, who hung onto their Cheval-Vapeur for the longest time.
What may dismay one a little bit is the fact that the base unit of Horsepower, however it is measured in the US, is known as the Mechanical, or... Imperial Horsepower. Yet when it comes to Beer, few object to the Imperial Pint measure.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Eustace
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 22, 2014 01:16AM
I was really expecting the Apple connection to be that you tracked down he VW Bus that Steve Jobs sold to start Apple. I wonder if anyone ever traced the history of that VW.

voodoopenguin

[www.historics.co.uk]

Paul
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020