advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Blue Heron
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: August 25, 2014 11:44AM
We took the canoe out to the Assabet (or Westborough) Reservoir yesterday. We hadn't been there before. The canoeing guidebooks warn that it's a problem for boaters because it's a lake made by flooding wooded land back in 1970, and it's full of stumps. They were right; some of the stumps are visible, but most are under water. A couple of times we actually found ourselves atop one of them, pivoting around as we tried to paddle off. And the bumps as you cautiously forged ahead were disconcerting enough to make us decide to seek clearer waters for our next outing. I did get a shot of a Great Blue Heron. They are ubiquitous in our area, and even on our river—but we're landlocked in the summer now, because of invasive water chestnut (another story):

The heron took off, and I quick tried to follow him with the camera. The pics came out blurry, owing to a combination of bird movement, camera movement, and canoe movement. Just don't look too closely:

/Mr Lynn

PS Thanks to vision63 for explaining to me how to get a photo URL in FLickr to work with the Forum's image tool:

[forums.macresource.com]

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2014 11:48AM by mrlynn.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Blue Heron
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 25, 2014 12:06PM
Very nice ! We have loads of Blue Herons in our area.. they each pick out a pond to fish in, and fly back to a common roosting area every night in the marshland. Every now and then we see a great egret picking out a nice spot, and the Herons give it a wide berth. Lovely birds, and SO patient. I've seen one just standing in one spot, quietly watching, while a flock of annoying ducks paddles around him. The fishies seem to know the ducks just stir up food for them, and follow the ducks. And then.. zap ! Mr. Heron has lunch !
Date: August 25, 2014 12:15PM
cbelt3
Very nice ! We have loads of Blue Herons in our area.. they each pick out a pond to fish in, and fly back to a common roosting area every night in the marshland. Every now and then we see a great egret picking out a nice spot, and the Herons give it a wide berth. Lovely birds, and SO patient. I've seen one just standing in one spot, quietly watching, while a flock of annoying ducks paddles around him. The fishies seem to know the ducks just stir up food for them, and follow the ducks. And then.. zap ! Mr. Heron has lunch !

A couple of years ago at my mother's house in Maryland, where I grew up, the disused swimming pool had become a green, algae-filled pond that was a haven for frogs. Then one day a Great Blue Heron showed up, and stood in the shallow end for hours, just spearing one hapless frog after another. Haven't seen the heron again in more recent visits. Nor are there as many frogs, I think.

/Mr Lynn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2014 12:16PM by mrlynn.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 25, 2014 12:16PM
It's all fun and games until there's a squadron of those birds flying overhead...
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: August 25, 2014 12:17PM
Love the first shot!!!
Posted by: blooz
Date: August 25, 2014 01:24PM
Nice!

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: DP
Date: August 25, 2014 02:56PM
Very nice! What camera? Where in Maryland? My mother was from Havre de Grace.
Posted by: carl
Date: August 25, 2014 04:58PM
I really like the first photo.
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: August 25, 2014 05:03PM
I took this last month in my back yard.
[imgur.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2014 05:03PM by Mini 9.
Date: August 25, 2014 06:32PM
DP

Thanks. That's my Canon Rebel T2i with the 18-270 Tamron lens, at maximum zoom, or close to it. I was complaining about the weight of this unit (mainly the lens) here:

[forums.macresource.com]

The Assabet river (and the reservoir) are in Massachusetts, where we live; my folks' house (where my mother still lives) is in the Sandy Spring/Olney area. I went to Sherwood High Schoo in Sandy Springl; as I recall, we played Havre de Grace in football.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: August 25, 2014 07:52PM
Blue Heron (of the Gil Scott genus):

[www.zeemaps.com]
Date: August 25, 2014 09:22PM
mrlynn
DP

Thanks. That's my Canon Rebel T2i with the 18-270 Tamron lens, at maximum zoom, or close to it. I was complaining about the weight of this unit (mainly the lens) here:

[forums.macresource.com]

The Assabet river (and the reservoir) are in Massachusetts, where we live; my folks' house (where my mother still lives) is in the Sandy Spring/Olney area. I went to Sherwood High Schoo in Sandy Springl; as I recall, we played Havre de Grace in football.

/Mr Lynn

I know. You didn't see my last post there!
Date: August 25, 2014 09:39PM
DP

Oh right. I did see it; wasn't sure if you meant that I was "blaming my tools". Anyway, I just responded. Thanks.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 25, 2014 11:45PM
Hey, cool pics mrlynn!
Date: August 26, 2014 06:48AM
mrlynn
DP

Oh right. I did see it; wasn't sure if you meant that I was "blaming my tools". Anyway, I just responded. Thanks.

/Mr Lynn

No, no-I was just making a general comment. As a photo instructor, I've heard a million excuses from students (and others) about how much they paid for their cameras and the crappy results they get. Sorry if you misunderstood. Usually, people will spend good money on a camera and set it on the Auto setting and wonder why they get less desirable results than expected!
Also, the important thing is to keep in mind is what you want to do with your pix. Are you only posting them online; or making prints for display; or making BIG prints for display? These are factors for helping you to determine what camera to buy.
If you want good pix right out of the box, then you'll need to go thru the manual to see which camera settings will give you what you're looking for.
But I am serious about getting yourself an SX50.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2014 06:50AM by DP.
Date: August 26, 2014 08:35AM
DP: It's funny. In the old days of manual film cameras and light meters (I had screw-mount Leicas—still have them) I was constantly fiddling with settings, adjusting for depth of field, etc. With auto-focus, auto-exposure, auto-'ISO' (used to be film speed—now?), I've gotten lazy and mostly rely on Auto settings (or 'P' on the Canon, so the flash won't pop up spuriously). It seems I'm always in too much of a hurry to pay attention, and the multitude of pre-programmed settings seems intimidating; I can never remember what all those symbols on the dial mean.

For the most part I'm just storing photos in folders on my iMac, and sharing them with family. Obviously with digital the volume of photos has gone way, way up. My wife complains about no prints, but what do you do with them? You run out of wall space. I'm thinking of hanging a TV on the wall and loading thumb drives with select photo groups (family, or autumn foliage, etc.) and let the TV cycle through them (I wonder if you could get a motion sensor that will activate the display only when someone is in the room). I have my iMac set to randomly display a large folder of shots from our NW Train Trip (taken with the little P&S), and enjoy seeing them.

I'm going to (re)consider the SX50—and maybe the FZ1000, too. As I said on the other thread, I'm more interested in the overall impression a photo makes than in the technical parameters. Here's one of my favorites from a train trip down the NE Corridor in '09, using the A540 P&S, shot through the back window of an Amtrak coach, looking north at Philadelphia (I call it 'City of Light', though that's not a usual descriptor of Philly):

Probably could use a little cropping, but as I mentioned, I don't get round to post-production very often.

/Mr Lynn
Date: August 26, 2014 09:02AM
OK, good. What I like about the P setting is you can still set the color balance, ISO, and, yes, keep the flash from activating when you don't want it to.
One setting in the SX40 (and SX50, I presume) is the Positive Film setting in My Colors. It mimics the color saturation of transparency film (or, slide film for those that never used it commercially). I like that setting.
Maybe you could get away with a smaller super zoom camera like the SX700. It is cheaper than the SX50 (and lots cheaper than the FZ1000!) and it has the equivalent of a 25-750mm zoom. But it also has the DIGIC 6 processor, fits in your pocket, and has the PSAM settings too.
For a shot like the Philly shot-very cool, by the way-and the heron shot, and what you plan to do with the images, something like the SX700 may fit your needs.
Also, you can send your images to Costco, et., to get prints done.
Date: August 26, 2014 02:04PM
DP
Maybe you could get away with a smaller super zoom camera like the SX700. It is cheaper than the SX50 (and lots cheaper than the FZ1000!) and it has the equivalent of a 25-750mm zoom. But it also has the DIGIC 6 processor, fits in your pocket, and has the PSAM settings too. . .

The SX700 is quite appealing, except it doesn't have a viewfinder—of any kind. I'm one of those old fogies who don't like holding a camera out in front of me as though it might bite, and trying to frame a shot on a screen half blanked out by sunlight.

/Mr Lynn
Date: August 26, 2014 03:22PM
mrlynn
DP
Maybe you could get away with a smaller super zoom camera like the SX700. It is cheaper than the SX50 (and lots cheaper than the FZ1000!) and it has the equivalent of a 25-750mm zoom. But it also has the DIGIC 6 processor, fits in your pocket, and has the PSAM settings too. . .

The SX700 is quite appealing, except it doesn't have a viewfinder—of any kind. I'm one of those old fogies who don't like holding a camera out in front of me as though it might bite, and trying to frame a shot on a screen half blanked out by sunlight.

/Mr Lynn

Then I would say an SX50. I have no issue with the EV... You can try it usually for a few days to see if you want to keep it but it will mean studying the manual and trying different settings! Myself and others like hal can lend a hand if you have questions.
Date: August 26, 2014 04:49PM
I stopped in Best Buy to look at their superzooms. They don't carry Panasonics; the very knowledgeable young lady (who's been in the photo department at the Shoppers World store for quite some time) said they used to get too many back with defects. She also said that the Nikon (model?) was slow, compared to the Canon SX50 and the Sony DSC HX300, also a 50x zoom. I played with those two for a while. IMO, the Sony had by far the best electronic viewfinder, brighter, larger, and more stable than the Canon's. That alone might incline me in its direction. But on getting home I read in a review that the Sony's EVF is dim and limited in pixels. Huh?

Well, it's going to take more looking. Comments welcome, if you have any comparative info.

/Mr Lynn
Date: August 26, 2014 08:07PM
Doing some Internet reading of bridge/superzoom cameras, I came across this writer recommending the Olympus SP-100, touting its novel target scope, something between an EVF and screen, with a red dot for tracking objects at maximum zoom:

[thewirecutter.com]

The superzoom to get

Olympus SP-100

The Olympus SP-100 has a class-leading electronic viewfinder and an “Eagle Eye” dot sight that allows you to easily locate and track your photo subject, even when fully zoomed in at the maximum 1200mm focal length.

Whaddaya think about this? I'd love to actually have one in my hands, though I don't know who might sell them in a brick-and-mortar store around here.

/Mr Lynn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2014 08:30PM by mrlynn.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020