advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Newsprint for cleaning glass
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: January 09, 2006 02:50PM
Years ago someone turned me onto using newpaper for cleaning windows & it worked great. Within the past few months, the Birmingham News changed the stock it prints on. The paper they use now has a slicker feel to it & it doesn't seem to clean as well as the old stuff.

Will this new paper scratch the glass? I did a Google search but all I found were articles on using newpaper for cleaning.

Anybody know about this?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Newsprint for cleaning glass
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: January 09, 2006 03:51PM
They have probably switched to stock with more recycled content. That little slickness helps it hold the ink and improves the print quality, but I bet it's not as absorbent. I can't imagine it would scratch the glass, but I don't have any proof of that.

Maryland passed a law about six years ago mandating a certain percentage of recycled content for all newspapers. What followed was sheer printers hell, because the paper was crappy and tore on the press and held up schedules and required a night guy to drive the forklift to switch rolls.

Plus the ink sank so much on the paper it was difficult to read. The coating helps that part of it.
Posted by: Donkey Hotay
Date: January 09, 2006 03:52PM
Look up the term "calendaring" for paper finish.
[www.howproductsimpact.net]

As long as no clay is baked on, there should be no impact on the glass surface finish.

[vivisimo.com]

Recycling laws probably limit the use of aromatic hydrocarbon-based inks (say, pre-1980). Those ink solvents were the 'active ingredient' in newsprint-cleans-the-glass-really-well. Modern inks that are vegetable oil-based don't really help with glass cleaning, though they recycle nicely.

=DH
Donkey (Ye Olde Farte of ye Internette) Hotay is a Tilted Windmill® enterprise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2006 03:58PM by Donkey Hotay.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 09, 2006 03:53PM
Dave,

I've tried USA Today, Newsday, NY Times, NY Post, NY Daily News and several generic local papers on windows, just to see if using newspaper really worked. They didn't. Instead of cleaning the windows, they moved the dirt around and added ink schmutz to it. 'course, other newspapers may work. YMMV. I wouldn't waste my time with them again.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2006 03:54PM by Robert M.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 09, 2006 04:09PM
Don't waste your time with window cleaner and newspaper. Soapy water, razor blade, window scrubber and squeegee is quicker and cleans better.

[www.ettore.com] [www.housekeepingchannel.com]
Posted by: bangman
Date: January 09, 2006 04:53PM
You want to use vinegar with the newspaper. Cleans like magic. No streaking.

---------
3GHz - The clock is STILL ticking Steve.
Posted by: kap
Date: January 09, 2006 05:10PM
To clean our car windows or any glass surfaces in our home, we use newspaper (not the slick prints) with either vinegar or rubbing alcohol and water or a mixture of rubbing alcohol, water and undiluted anmonia. Leave no streaks.

Kap

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: January 09, 2006 07:44PM
The recycled papers and/or other similar papers have more clay and TiO2 in them in order to make them whiter/brighter, and display more crisply.

You may actually have to break down and get those blue paper towels that are more like cloth.

A body shop guy told me about the newspaper trick around 1977. He said "doesn't matter what the customer brings it in here for.... the first thing they see is the windows."

Been using it ever since.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 132
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020