advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
WIFI problem, part 2
Posted by: davemchine
Date: September 17, 2014 12:27AM
I am attempting to setup a roaming network as suggested in a previous discussion. I have two airport extreme base stations at opposite sides of my house. I purchased a power line nano so I could connect the two via ethernet, [www.amazon.com] . Unfortunately the speed is awful. If the adapters are in the same room I achieve 22mbps. If I take the 2nd unit to the midpoint of my house the speed drops to 5mbps. Once I get to the opposite side of the house, where I need it, the speed drops to .5mbps. Very disappointing. I spent quite a bit of time googling and I didn't find any magic bullets to fix the problem. I will be returning the product. Very disappointed.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else
[colquhoun.info]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: WIFI problem, part 2
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 17, 2014 01:20AM
Do these devices all have to be on the same electrical circuit, as on the same circuit breaker or fuse?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 17, 2014 03:03AM
freeradical
Do these devices all have to be on the same electrical circuit, as on the same circuit breaker or fuse?

No. But as davemchine reports, it does help. He may have too much electrical noise from something like a refrigerator or fan that is always running.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 17, 2014 06:15AM
Separate channels , same SSID , etc. A signal strength survey may help.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: September 17, 2014 06:52AM
Curious... How old is the house? Is one side of the house a recent extension?
Date: September 17, 2014 08:26AM
This house was built in 1994 and there are no extensions. I have noticed my UPS's are more active in this house than the previous one. I suspect low voltage kicks them on. I'm not sure if that would indicate an electrical problem inside the house or outside of the house.

The tips for making the power line's work is to plug them directly into a wall outlet and not into a power strip or a UPS. They also cannot be plugged in next to a major appliance.

In my case they only achieved 22mbps even when plugged in to outlets less than four feet from each other. That's pretty sad and far below their rating.

[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: silvarios
Date: September 17, 2014 09:12AM
davemchine
In my case they only achieved 22mbps even when plugged in to outlets less than four feet from each other. That's pretty sad and far below their rating.

Sure, but I don't understand how you would actually be able to get 500Mbps anyway. Assuming you bought the 10/100 version, seems like the Ethernet port would bottleneck your speeds. I would have guessed a maximum of 85-100Mbps in real world use for the Gigabit Ethernet equipped adapters (yes, still lower than 500Mbps branding) and 40-50Mbps for the 10/100 adapters.

22Mbps is definitely a bit low.
Date: September 17, 2014 09:18AM
[www.smallnetbuilder.com]
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 17, 2014 10:08AM
So, do these Ethernet over Power adapters only work as a pair? You couldn't have 3 or 5 of these devices?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 17, 2014 11:13AM
Free,

From what I understand, you should be able to use more than two of them. It's also better to use the same model from the same manufacturer. Other people who use these should be able to provide more detailed, accurate information. But, I had similar results when I tried ethernet over powerline adapters. So, the problems Dave saw don't come as a surprise to me.

Robert
Date: September 17, 2014 11:15AM
Dave,

Do you have coaxial in all of the rooms in your house for cable TV? Or, at least the rooms that will have the networking hardware? If so, then I definitely suggest you try using MoCa adapters. In my apartment, they worked when powerline boxes didn't do the job. Not cheap - over $100 a pair - but well worth the money.

Robert
Date: September 17, 2014 11:17AM
I plan to be in this house for 15-20 years so I decided going the cheap route was a mistake. I've called a pro to run ethernet from my office to the other end of the house. From there the double base stations in roaming mode should be adequate. I'm guessing I will spend $200-300 but I think that is worth not fussing with these things.

[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 17, 2014 04:36PM
My 'pro' wanted $1500 for three drops. Could you ask your pro to come over to my house after he is done with yours...

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: September 17, 2014 05:34PM
Dave,

I concur with Speedy. I don't think a pro is going to charge so little to drop ethernet cable in your house. Not even for running it through a weatherproof conduit along the side of the house and drilling through the wall into the rooms or some other similar method through the interior of the house. Definitely get an extra quote or two if the amount is more than $200-300. That and make sure they run it in a manner that makes it easily to replace the cable in the event it goes bad over time.

Robert
Date: September 17, 2014 05:38PM
I picked up a Tenda brand Powerline 200 kit for $20, maybe $15 if I get the rebate. Hoping I get better results, but even 25 Mbps would be okay as these are meant solely for Internet connection and my current plan is 25-30 Mbps down. Have a preferred testing tool for network connections?
Date: September 17, 2014 08:04PM
Silvarios, the 22mbps I was achieving was only if both units were in the same room. It dropped to 5mbps once I left the room and down to .5mbps once I was at the other end of the house. Hopefully you will have better luck than I but I wanted to clarify what results I had.

Robert, I'm sure you are right and it will cost more but I'm going to tell my wife it was $300 no matter what. boink smiley

I'll post back after the tech visits tomorrow.

[colquhoun.info]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020