advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Wifi, part 3, RESOLVED!
Posted by: davemchine
Date: September 18, 2014 01:10PM
The network tech arrived today and the first thing he did was test the network signal at different points of the house. The first Airport Extreme was working fine, the Airport Express was working fine, and the last step, the 2nd Airport Extreme was doing NOTHING. We changed it from "extend" to "create" and the signal went through the roof. So we decided running a cable from the first Extreme to the second and running in roaming mode was the best solution.

He was able to easily run a cable to the crawl space, into my garage, and into the ceiling of the garage to it's destination. Very nice ethernet boxes at each point. He charged for 2.5hrs and materials and my bill will be approximately $350 so I wasn't far off the mark with my initial wish of $300.

The result is a super strong signal all through the house. I am achieving internet speed tests of 100+mbps at all points but my family room where I achieved 60mbps. I think this is super fast so I am extremely happy.

Thank you to those who explained the challenges of extending a wireless network vs roaming!

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Wifi, part 3, RESOLVED!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 18, 2014 01:12PM
Very nice... and services for a decent price.

There is nothing like a nice ethernet backbone in a large network.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 18, 2014 01:16PM
I will have to look up 'roaming mode.'

And nice price!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2014 01:17PM by Speedy.
Posted by: decay
Date: September 18, 2014 01:41PM
found this:

Wi-Fi base stations: Setting up and configuring a roaming network (802.11 a/b/g/n)

This article explains how to set up multiple Wi-Fi base stations to create a single wireless network (known as a "roaming" network) using Ethernet.

[support.apple.com]

also,
Wi-Fi base stations: Extending the range of your wireless network by adding additional Wi-Fi base stations

[support.apple.com]

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2014 01:41PM by decay.
Date: September 18, 2014 02:14PM
decay, those were really helpful! I learned a lot that I didn't know before because I really didn't need to know it - but needed to know now. Basically networking for dummies.

My hardware is old (original WEP-only silver Airport and the first Express) but the links look like they will help with those, too, using WDS rather than Powerline to extend my decrepit network reliably (I'm always resetting my two separate Powerline networks.). I need reliability more than speed.

Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 18, 2014 02:31PM
Speedy

My hardware is old (original WEP-only silver Airport and the first Express) but the links look like they will help with those, too, using WDS rather than Powerline to extend my decrepit network reliably (I'm always resetting my two separate Powerline networks.). I need reliability more than speed.

So we're changing our name to "Reliably" from "Speedy" then, eh?
==

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: September 18, 2014 02:45PM
Where does one find a "network tech" that does house calls, I'm wondering?

Jeff
Date: September 18, 2014 03:02PM
kj4btkljv

Jeff

Our local Apple reseller does it. I recently got an estimate which took about an hour. Using only my router and switch but their cabling, boxes, etc.

Posted by: silvarios
Date: September 18, 2014 03:07PM
kj4btkljv

Jeff

Would seem like all network techs would need to do house calls. Hard to do anything if no one is on site.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 18, 2014 03:08PM
kj4btkljv

Jeff

I pointed him to an outfit next to where I work that does all kinds of IT support stuff.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: davemchine
Date: September 18, 2014 03:20PM
Yes, ztirfrritz gave me two company names. The first declined saying they didn't do home networking. The second seemed dubious but agreed to come out on a time plus parts basis (not sure what else they would have done). So basically I got a network cable puller who fortunately also knew how to measure wireless network strengths. He did this on his android phone and it was pretty cool. He could see each of my base stations and what their signal strengths were. Very helpful and I wish Apple would allow that on the iPhone. Thanks ztirfrritz for the names!

I think the cost was low because I have a good sized crawl space, there was existing wiring he could use to pull the cable through the wall, and it exited the crawl space in the garage where he could run along the ceiling and go up into the necessary wall easily. That really kept the billable hours to a minimum. Also, I only asked for a single wire to be run from point A to point B. Nothing fancy.

Anyway, thanks for all the good advice. I'm still very excited about the good outcome.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 18, 2014 03:25PM
Had a great network tech several years ago, actually a hubby and wife team w/ a couple of their friends helping out; and the wife literally won the lotto, so they "retired" to Montana or Wyoming. The friends they left behind weren't nearly as adept. Good techs are a great asset. Congrats on the mondo wifi.
==

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Date: September 18, 2014 04:18PM
silvarios
Would seem like all network techs would need to do house calls. Hard to do anything if no one is on site.

RollingEyesSmiley5

Jeff
Date: September 18, 2014 04:29PM
Jeff,
Seriously, you can't be a network tech and not end up on site. It is impossible. Since we don't know where you live, how do we make a suggestion for your local area? I don't expect an actual response because true discourse is quickly becoming extinct. Yet, I'm always open to surprises. Your move.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2014 04:32PM by silvarios.
Date: September 18, 2014 06:16PM
silvarios
Jeff,
Seriously, you can't be a network tech and not end up on site. It is impossible. Since we don't know where you live, how do we make a suggestion for your local area? I don't expect an actual response because true discourse is quickly becoming extinct. Yet, I'm always open to surprises. Your move.

I wasn't actually asking like I needed that service, I was just generally asking the question. As if you could walk into Best Buy, Circuit City (I know they're gone), Home Depot, etc. and ask for their "network tech" and book an appointment. It was just more curiosity than anything else...

Jeff
Posted by: bruceko
Date: September 18, 2014 06:57PM
Interesting.
Does the ethernet connection between base stations need to directly connected via 1 cable or can it go through a network switch?
Date: September 18, 2014 07:59PM
bruceko
Interesting.
Does the ethernet connection between base stations need to directly connected via 1 cable or can it go through a network switch?

From decay's link:

"You can incorporate a network switch if you don’t have enough LAN ports available on your primary Wi-Fi base station."

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: September 19, 2014 01:00AM
Speedy
I will have to look up 'roaming mode.'

Covered right here in a mouldy oldie from 3½ years ago:

[forums.macresource.com]

You people really should be hanging on my every word.
Date: September 19, 2014 01:29AM
kj4btkljv
I wasn't actually asking like I needed that service, I was just generally asking the question. As if you could walk into Best Buy, Circuit City (I know they're gone), Home Depot, etc. and ask for their "network tech" and book an appointment. It was just more curiosity than anything else...

Jeff

My good man, you were not simply poking fun after all. Yeah, pretty much any local somewhat tech savvy handyman could do this. To some degree anyway, if he is crimping his own cable then he probably should know a bit about cable testing and such, but it seems like a matter of figuring out what rooms you want cable run, how many devices in each room (I would suggest some extra runs just in case), and then depending on your home layout, how you will run cables. Some people like things nice and neat with wall plates, some people might be able to get away with a simple cable coming through the wall.

Here's a walkthrough I found from a random search.
[lifehacker.com]

Note, I personally suck at handyman stuff, so even if I can knock out a basic network, I generally try to stick to being able to run a single, fairly accessible, pre-made cable to a centrally located room and then putting in a halfway decent WiFi router. If I am lucky, the cable will run half hidden behind furniture or appliances, tucked over door frames, and I can call it a day. My current cable modem to router setup isn't particularly pretty, but it isn't terrible either. A white cable to match the walls for the six foot or less of exposed length would help, but I only had black and purple in my personal stash. So would tucking it along the hallway between the living room and kitchen, instead of running it along the living room wall. My mistake there.

In fact, I might move the cable a bit and put up a nice painting, framed poster, or a large enough picture to almost completely hide the exposed length of cat 6. Then again, it might simply be good enough to live with less than six feet of exposed cable on one wall instead of needing to cut holes or otherwise rejigger the cable. The cable can't be accidentally snagged or hit in it's current state and the Internet works great, so maybe mission accomplished is the proper mindset.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2014 01:32AM by silvarios.
Date: September 19, 2014 01:34AM
Article Accelerator

True, this is likely worth a sticky for as many times it comes up. Maybe we can have a tech wiki that lists all these tips as a forum adjunct.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: September 19, 2014 02:01PM
silvarios
Article Accelerator

True, this is likely worth a sticky for as many times it comes up. Maybe we can have a tech wiki that lists all these tips as a forum adjunct.

Thank you, Nathan. At least someone here gets it! winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020