Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Official cover of U2's new album
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: September 26, 2014 12:54PM

[www.u2.com]

"The band have completed the artwork for next month's physical release of Songs of Innocence.

The visuals reflect the new songs and their inspiration in the early years of U2 as teenagers in Dublin.

Glen Luchford's striking cover image of Larry Mullen Jr, protecting his 18year old son, resonates with the band's iconic 1980 debut album Boy - and the album War, three years later.

Both featured the face of a child, Peter Rowen, the younger brother of Guggi, Bono's childhood friend growing up on Cedarwood Road.

'We've always been about community in U2, about family and friends,' explains Bono. 'Songs Of Innocence is the most intimate album we've ever made. With this record we were looking for the raw, naked and personal, to strip everything back.'

The idea of the unique relationship between a parent and child, the image of a father and son, came from the band. The shoot with Larry and his son was initially an experiment but everyone loved it as a visual metaphor for the record.

If you know the album, reflects Bono, you'll see the themes in the visual language, how 'holding on to your own innocence is a lot harder than holding on to someone else's.'"

My music blog: [www.auditorymusings.net]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Official cover of U2's new album
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 26, 2014 01:29PM
pinkoos
Glen Luchford's striking cover image of Larry Mullen Jr, protecting his 18year old son

That's not what most people will see when they view that photo.

It is what it is.
Date: September 26, 2014 01:30PM
I know. I think U2 need to fire their marketing team and/or manager and start all over.

That cover somehow creeps me out.

Without the accompanying explanation, people are not going to understand it or, worse, are going to misunderstand it.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 26, 2014 01:58PM
I know what Larry looks like but didn't recognize him. Protecting family or whatever doesn't work on really any level with that photo, metaphorically included. I wish the band best of luck with this photo.
Posted by: raz
Date: September 26, 2014 02:00PM
Perhaps U2 will release an App that will remove the cover from any copy of the albums you own?

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Date: September 26, 2014 02:03PM
Yeah, the picture actually looks more like Billy Duffy, the guitarist for the Cult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2014 02:04PM by pinkoos.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: September 26, 2014 02:14PM
I'm so sick of U2 being so damn full of themselves. Their Apple ad, with rock icons like The Clash & the Ramones superimposed inside them, is so self-important it makes me want to puke. I'm ready to launch them into the Sun, and please send Sting along with 'em.

Elon Musk, SpaceX? I have a little project for you! Tell 'em it'll be a joyride, a few orbits around the Earth. A chance to write some self-important songs about the Universe maybe. Then there will be a major malfunction....

Posted by: decay
Date: September 26, 2014 02:48PM
Just saw Duffy with The Cult in August.

---
Date: September 26, 2014 02:49PM
Awesome. One of my all time favorite bands. I catch them every time they come through Houston.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 26, 2014 02:50PM
N-OS X-tasy!
pinkoos
Glen Luchford's striking cover image of Larry Mullen Jr, protecting his 18year old son

That's not what most people will see when they view that photo.

Certainly wasn't my first thought?

I thought he might be trying to hear a baby's heartbeat. And that it was another "men can have babies too" thing.

Or checking for Aliens...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: September 26, 2014 03:10PM
A polarizing/potentially controversial album cover?

Now there's a surprise...
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 26, 2014 06:39PM
Bimwad

"You have a greased, naked woman on all fours with a dog collar around her neck and a leash, and a man's arm extended out...holding on to the leash and pushing a black glove in her face to sniff it."
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 26, 2014 07:47PM
Lux Interior
Bimwad

"You have a greased, naked woman on all fours with a dog collar around her neck and a leash, and a man's arm extended out...holding on to the leash and pushing a black glove in her face to sniff it."

It took me a minute, but I finally remembered where i saw that! smiley-laughing001

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: decay
Date: September 26, 2014 09:17PM
"What's wrong with sexy?"

---
Posted by: Black
Date: September 26, 2014 10:07PM
pinkoos
Without the accompanying explanation, people are not going to understand it or, worse, are going to misunderstand it.

Oh, the horror. They'll be ruined.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 28, 2014 10:37AM
Rick-o
Lux Interior
Bimwad

It took me a minute, but I finally remembered where i saw that! smiley-laughing001

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 290
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020