advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Oppo BDP-103d
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 26, 2014 02:44PM
I'm looking to upgrade my mediocre blu-ray and have researched what's out there. This seems to be the best for the money. I'd love the Oppo 105, but it's too much money.

The usb port functionality looks neat. If I understand it, the Oppo can play video or music from a connected device.

Does anyone have the 103d? If so, what do you think of it? Have you connected a usb device to play videos or music?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Oppo BDP-103d
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 26, 2014 02:54PM
Am I reading that right? $600?

emoticon-animal-022

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: dk62
Date: September 26, 2014 03:08PM
I have the previous model and yes, it does play from a connected device. I could not get it to play all video files, but I was not playing much with the containers. In some cases, changing .m4v to .mp4 (or another way around) would do the trick. It is a great line of Blu Ray players and the only difference with the "5" version is DAC. I prefer to send all the signals to the receiver bu HDMI anyway, so it does not matter.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: September 26, 2014 04:16PM
I have the 103d, and I love it. I splurged...brand new room, all new furniture and 64" Samsung 8500 plasma, so I didn't want to compromise. I knew the Darby version was probably not worth the extra $100, but I figured what the heck. To do over again, I'd probably just get the std 103 which is otherwise the same, but I have absolutely no regrets. The build quality is terrific, it's lighting fast, and I know the performance is about the best it can be. This is important to me so that standard def DVDs look as good as they can. And they do. If we get something from Redbox, I sometimes don't realize if I've watched a DVD or a BD.

Plus it has lots of useful features that would normally be scrapped to keep the price down. Yes, for most people, a cheap Blu-Ray player will be adequate, but sometimes it's nice to know that every corner wasn't cut to get it out the door.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 26, 2014 04:16PM
jdc
Am I reading that right? $600?
emoticon-animal-022

That's correct. However, it up converts Blu-ray to 4K and has a HDMI input to convert another source (cable box, etc) to 4K. Every review I have read notes that the video quality of the Oppo is superior to anything else on the market. It's also well built unlike a lot of the cheapo stuff on the market.

The 105 has balanced audio out as well. Only matters if you have a high end receiver that accepts balanced inputs. I don't and probably won't. So, there's no need for it.
Posted by: bruceko
Date: September 26, 2014 06:27PM
I have a previous Gen OPPO. Love it. I had a problem with it and OPPO customer service was great at getting it replaced by cross shipping a new not referb to me.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 27, 2014 12:09AM
I know this was guite a while ago, but my Pioneer 6 disc DVD changer has WAY better image quality than my newer Toshiba. The mpeg-2 decoder chip in the Pioneer probably wholesaled for more than what I paid for the Toshiba. It will also play DVDs that the Toshiba can't.

So big bucks for a good DVD player can make a difference.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 27, 2014 10:33AM
Oppo=best value out there, and amazing audio quality. If I buy another DVD player, it will be an Oppo.

Also, they have or will have a new headphone and headphone amp out; supposed to be amazing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

DJM
Guests: 128
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020