advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Photoshop help
Posted by: DP
Date: October 05, 2006 09:08PM
This is a toughie for me and I haven't figured it out but I know the answer is out there! I want to make an evenly spaced dotted line. Eventually I would like to outline type (for a project) with the dotted line but just producing it to start would help. Could I do it better in Illustrator then move it to PS? TIA.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Photoshop help
Posted by: karsen
Date: October 05, 2006 09:15PM
Persoanlly I think I'd do it in Illustrator and copy it into PS as a Smart Object.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: October 05, 2006 09:45PM
Make your line in its own layer, then go to your Layer Styles window and click on the word Styles in the upper left corner of the window.

That should show you a bunch of style-presets.

Click on the little arrow-in-a-circle-symbol in the upper-right corner and select the Dotted Strokes styles and when it asks, select the option to Append the new styles to your current list of styles.

Now just choose a dotted-line style.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 06, 2006 03:01AM
although not a very good instructor -- there is a tutorial on dotted lines here -- #4

i havent watched it, no idea if will actually answer your question...

[phobos.apple.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: October 06, 2006 06:16AM
jdc-
That link takes me to the iTunes Store... Can you repost?
Mac-
Close! But I can't cheange the size of the dots. The largest dot size is 3 pixel. Do you know how to make them larger?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 06, 2006 06:26AM
Once you have a line you can transform it (scale up) to make the dots larger.

You could also create a sample segment of the line you want using the pencil or a brush, then define that as a pattern in Photoshop. Make a selection where you want to have the line, then fill that with the new pattern you created.
Posted by: pixelzombie
Date: October 06, 2006 11:37AM
use the line tool and the outline font tool...
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: October 06, 2006 05:34PM
> Close! But I can't cheange the size of the dots. The largest dot size is 3 pixel. Do you know how to make them larger?

If you look carefully, you'll see that the layer style that you chose merely applied a stroke with a pattern that knocked out portions of the stroke. If you don't like a given preset, define a new pattern (draw the design, use the marquee to select it and choose Edit: Define Pattern) with however much transparent area you need and apply it to a stroke-layer-effect.
Date: October 06, 2006 08:22PM
OK, Thanx all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 122
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020