Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Followup: Continuity Activation 2010 MBPro
Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: November 04, 2014 11:49AM
RE:Previous Thread - Continuity Activation

Well, I received my new Airport/Bluetooth cards from eBay and went about doing the installation last night. I had ordered two of them (BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX) intending to work on my 2010 as well as my son's 2009. These do not in any way fit into a 2009. The original listing that said they would has been updated to reflect this.

So, on to my 2010. It does fit in there, just needs some modification to the card bracket as the ribbon cable connector and the antenna connectors are in different spots. On the photo below, I have outlined in red the areas of the card bracket that I had to cut away. Also, the card will not screw back into the bracket, so I used a small piece of thin double stick tape to hold it in.

Antenna connections hook to J1 J2 and J3. J0 is left open. I also put a piece of electrical tape on the back of the card to insulate it from the metal of the optical drive.

Booted the machine and all connections were working just great. So, I ran the Continuity Activator and a couple of reboots later, everything is working! Can see my iDevices on my computer in AirDrop. Handoff works great between all of them.

Hope this is helpful to somebody considering the modification.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Followup: Continuity Activation 2010 MBPro
Posted by: thermarest
Date: November 04, 2014 12:48PM
Huh, cool. I hadn't ever looked carefully at that black bracket, but I've unscrewed it many many times fiddling with the optical bay and data doubler on my 2011.

I haven't updated to iOS 8 yet so I haven't tried Contiuity, but in my recent upgrade from 2011 MBP to 2012 MBP, one small consideration out of the many was bluetooth 4.0 and compatibility with Continuity.
Re: Followup: Continuity Activation 2010 MBPro
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 04, 2014 12:49PM
Fun stuff. There were days when I would have been all over this trying to make it work... these days, I'd just sell my machine and get a supported machine if I really needed that feature.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 77
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020