advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Contacts All Screwed Up - Help!
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: November 08, 2014 03:34PM
I'm sure that this has been hashed out in the group but I cannot find the help I need very desperately.

After upgrading my MacBook Pro to Yosemite and my iDevices to iOS 8 all my devices and computers now have double entries in Contacts except for a few single entries that appear to have been added since the "Upgrade". Included in my collection of stuff that have been affected are an iPad 3 and an iPhone 6 both running iOS 8, a MacBook running Yosemite, and two iMacs running Mavericks 10.9.5.

Many of the double entries contain different information, such as different addresses (my daughter moved to Denver) and different phone numbers (my mother's changed when she moved to a care facility). So it is not a matter of duplication of contacts.

To further complicate things, the telephone system in my car for some reason lost its phone directory. I think it is limited to 1000 contacts, which is a problem since my Contacts now number just under 1500. So I cannot update the car directory until the double entry problem is corrected.

Any help would be appreciated.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Contacts All Screwed Up - Help!
Posted by: iaJim
Date: November 08, 2014 04:42PM
Are you using family sharing and someone else in the family has contacts showing up?
Posted by: modelamac
Date: November 08, 2014 04:52PM
Under Contacts - Card contextual menu, there is an option to "Look for Duplicates". When you find them, merge them or delete one.

Those doubles existed somewhere before the update, and had not been dealt with at that point. Now you get to fix it.

First, save a copy of the current Contacts somewhere, on a thumb drive, TM, an external, Dropbox, wherever. Just save it.

Now look for the duplicates and fix them.

Time Machine and bootable backup clones are wonderful things.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: colonel panic
Date: November 08, 2014 05:24PM
Well the good news is you won't be able to make calls or text while driving.

"They don't call me Colonel because I'm some dumb a$$ army guy" Colonel Homer J. Simpson
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: November 13, 2014 10:04AM
Thanks for all your ideas. I did what modelamac suggested and, after a lot of work, ended up with a nice clean contact list.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020