advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Legal Help? BestBuy is screwing me over and I don't know what to do about it??
Posted by: GeneL
Date: November 13, 2014 07:33PM
As some may remember, I bought a Note 3 back in February. I paid full price ($750) for it in order to retain my Verizon unlimited data plan. I also purchased BestBuy's extended warranty coverage.

The phone was replaced once, shortly after I purchased it because of problems making calls. At that time I was given another brand new phone.

As time has passed, I've had more and more problems making calls. I've taken the phone in to both Verizon and BestBuy, but nothing was done that fixed the problem. Resets, replacing the sim card, nothing has helped.

In Dana Point, near my home I have had four bars of signal strength showing on the phone and when I attempt to make a call I see a message on the screen saying "no mobile network available."

I showed this to a Verizon rep in the local dealer and he witnessed the problem and wrote what he saw on his card.

I went to BestBuy today and was told by the mobile phone manager that he would walk me over to the Geek squad department and that they would give my another phone and if the replacement didn't work any better, they would get me into another phone (lemon law?). Didn't work out that way…

…when we spoke to a young man in the Geek Squad department, he said that I'd have to put a hold on a credit card and they would send me a replacement. Not at all what I had been told when I first purchased the phone and warranty. Even the manager was surprised and he tried to backpedal.

I ended up calling BestBuy customer relations and the supervisor that I spoke with was going to arrange to send me a replacement and put the hold on my BestBuy card. I said okay, upon which she told me that there would be a $149 service charge to replace my phone. This had never been brought up before in the conversations that I had when I purchased the phone or when the warranty exchange was discussed with the Geek Squad representative.

So, I have a defective phone for which I'm paying off roughly $750 plus they want another $149 to replace it with a refurbished unit. $900 for a refurbished replacement for a phone that I've only had for eight months!

At this point I just want out of the whole thing, so I can start over from scratch. The people with whom I've spoken at BestBuy have given me no sense that a reasonable solution is available, so I'm looking for suggestions about how to either get them to properly take care of me or for a way that I can get a legal remedy.

This is so terribly upsetting and it adds so much more stress to the fact that I'm going to need another surgery. bomb smiley

gl @ Dana Point, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2014 07:34PM by GeneL.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Legal Help? BestBuy is screwing me over and I don't know what to do about it??
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 13, 2014 07:40PM
does the contract say anything about the $149 fee? don't go by what they say, that doesn't mean anything these days, they either don't know wht thet say, or simply lie to you. Go by the written contract.
Re: Legal Help? BestBuy is screwing me over and I don't know what to do about it??
Posted by: Gareth
Date: November 13, 2014 07:40PM
8 months? Take it up with Samsung instead of Best Buy under the standard 12 month warranty? Probably won't help you get out of that model, but maybe you'll get a working phone...
Date: November 13, 2014 07:41PM
and when I hear Geek Suqad, I run far, far away

BTW, did you enable TRIM on it? smiley-laughing001
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 13, 2014 07:47PM
I'm not going to argue that they aren't treating you right, but I don't think you have a legal branch to stand on. The protection plans state the $150 replacement fee right in the print.

"Customer will pay a $49.99 service fee for each claim submitted under this Plan that is not covered under a manufacturer's warranty on a feature phone and a $149.99 service fee for each claim submitted under this Plan that is not covered under a manufacturer's warranty on a smart phone or iPhone. You are limited to 3 claim submissions after which our obligations under this Plan will be fulfilled in their entirety."

The first time your phone was under the manufacturer warranty, This time it is not: However, if the phone does show manufacturer coverag you should not have to pay the fee.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: November 13, 2014 07:51PM
space-time
and when I hear Geek Squad, I run far, far away

BTW, did you enable TRIM on it? smiley-laughing001

No, but I do plan to do an Option restart once a month and let it sit overnight. :-)

C(-)ris, the phone is still under Samsung's warranty

I did call Samsung and, basically I will have to send my phone in for repair and be without a phone for who knows how long???

If it's possible to go to small claims court with any chance of winning, I'd like to pursue that.

I can't easily find my paper work, but I'm sure I have it. My filing chores have suffered horribly, through the recent past. Too many health issues and not enough sleep.

gl @ Dana Point, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2014 07:53PM by GeneL.
Posted by: max
Date: November 13, 2014 08:59PM
What is exactly your argument for the small case court?

Buying extended warranty is like betting that you will get a lemon.
I have done that with tools that I knew would go south a lot sooner than the marketing department intended.
Buying one with a fee every time warranty is exercised is insane...
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: November 13, 2014 09:03PM
If what C(-)ris said is correct, then your best bet is to get the phone off to Samsung ASAP. He quoted from the paperwork.

Do you have a land line at home? If so, use that. Everyone did without cell phones for most of the history of telephony.

If you don't have a land line, and really, really need a phone, go pick up some $30 limited-use one at Walmart or somewhere.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Date: November 13, 2014 09:59PM
My thinking is that selling a product for a considerable amount of money and saying that your out of luck if the product breaks down after a very short time, a company shouldn't be able to refuse any responsibility just because they say that they don't have any responsibility, should they?

I would feel differently if I had the phone for a longer period. I mean losing $750! That's an awful lot of money for me.

I can't imagine that there aren't any consumer protections that might aid me with this.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 13, 2014 10:03PM
I'd try my luck with Samsung. You're certainly right that this isn't fair but being pragmatic may help.

Date: November 13, 2014 10:08PM
I'd go back to a different Best Buy with the warranty paperwork from Samsung showing that the serial number of your phone shows as in warranty. Show them in the paperwork that it says the fee is only for out of warranty phones and that doesn't apply. Insist that they warranty the phone for free, although, they are still well within their right to require a credit card hold for advance exchange. Nothing in the plan states that you get a replacement phone immediately onsite, it states the oposite in fact.

Edit: I read the full plan discretion. It doesn't cover ANYTHING except accidental damage while your phone is still under the manufactures warranty. THAT is why you are getting charged the $149, because they are treating your claim as accidental damage....because...drum roll:

"Parts, labor and any other coverage
provided under the manufacturer warranty.
Except for ADH (accidental) claims, you must contact the
manufacturer if any defect or issue arises during
the manufacturer’s warranty period. "

You must go through Samsung to get your replacement because it is still under warranty. You can either send it to Samsung through Best Buy, or send it to Samsung directly. If you deal with Samsung directly you are likely to run into issues with Best Buy later because they won't have any documentation that your serial number changed if you get a replacement phone from Samsung. In this case, you are going to have to hand it off to Best Buy to send to Samsung for warranty replacement, or pay the $150 if you want an advance exchange and a new phone.

So, take it or leave it, but they are offering you exactly what the plan says they should.

C(-)ris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2014 10:09PM by C(-)ris.
Date: November 13, 2014 10:12PM
GeneL
My thinking is that selling a product for a considerable amount of money and saying that your out of luck if the product breaks down after a very short time, a company shouldn't be able to refuse any responsibility just because they say that they don't have any responsibility, should they?

I would feel differently if I had the phone for a longer period. I mean losing $750! That's an awful lot of money for me.

I can't imagine that there aren't any consumer protections that might aid me with this.

I didn't see anywhere where they are saying you are out of luck. Samsung offered a repair or replacement, as did Best Buy. You just didn't like their terms.

C(-)ris
Date: November 13, 2014 10:13PM
Gene, the extended warranty is, I assume, for a period after the manufacturer's warranty has expired. But the Samsung warranty (one year, right?) is still in effect. So stop bothering with BB and just get the phone to Samsung.

Best Buy's responsibility ends with the period they say it does under their terms of sale. For most retailers that might be 15 or 30 days; probably says right on your receipt. Unless you can show fraud, I don't see how there could be any "consumer protections" that you could invoke.

If Samsung replaces the phone, you haven't lost anything except time and aggravation. And you'll have a newer phone.

/Mr Lynn
Date: November 13, 2014 10:33PM
mrlynn
Gene, the extended warranty is, I assume, for a period after the manufacturer's warranty has expired. But the Samsung warranty (one year, right?) is still in effect. So stop bothering with BB and just get the phone to Samsung.

Best Buy's responsibility ends with the period they say it does under their terms of sale. For most retailers that might be 15 or 30 days; probably says right on your receipt. Unless you can show fraud, I don't see how there could be any "consumer protections" that you could invoke.

If Samsung replaces the phone, you haven't lost anything except time and aggravation. And you'll have a newer phone.

/Mr Lynn

As I understood it, I was told at the time of my purchase, Best Buy's Geek Squad would replace my phone over the counter AT NO CHARGE CHARGE.

Today, when I went into the store, even the mobile department manager was under the impression that is how it would work when he explained the process to me.

It seems that Best Buy's policy has changed recently, but that's not what I was told when I purchased the phone and warranty.

Even if it was an oral "agreement" wouldn't it hold up?
Date: November 13, 2014 10:39PM
GeneL
As I understood it, I was told at the time of my purchase, Best Buy's Geek Squad would replace my phone over the counter AT NO CHARGE CHARGE.

For how long a period? Look at your receipt, for heaven's sake!

GeneL

As the old saw goes, "Oral agreements are worth the paper they're written on."

/Mr Lynn
Date: November 13, 2014 10:47PM
GeneL
mrlynn

/Mr Lynn

Today, when I went into the store, even the mobile department manager was under the impression that is how it would work when he explained the process to me.

It seems that Best Buy's policy has changed recently, but that's not what I was told when I purchased the phone and warranty.

You going to hunt down the original sales person who sold you the plan and call him to court? Not sure it would help anyway as it is going to be a "your word against his/her" issue. Regardless, I believe the written terms override any oral agreements in court.

It is possible that the plan that you purchased has different terms than what the current plan does. But the only way you are going to know that is to find the original documents and read the print and see what it says. AFAIK the current terms have been in place for at least a year or so when I helped someone out with a similar situation.

C(-)ris
Date: November 13, 2014 11:18PM
It seems to me that this is a case of the big guy screwing the little guy.

From my own experience in consumer electronics, I know that in most situations like this, someone in management has the ability to make a customer service accommodation.

Take it to the media? dunno smiley

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 13, 2014 11:35PM
GeneL

You already know the answer to this question, don't you?

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2014 11:36PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: November 13, 2014 11:38PM
GeneL
From my own experience in consumer electronics, I know that in most situations like this, someone in management has the ability to make a customer service accommodation.

While he may have the ability to do so, based on the information you have shared he has no obligation to do so.

It is what it is.
Date: November 14, 2014 12:01AM
GeneL
It seems to me that this is a case of the big guy screwing the little guy.

Take it to the media? dunno smiley

Baring any different language in your terms, There isn't anything for the manager to override, honestly, this isn't really even a Best Buy issue. You are outside the standard return/exchange window and your Geek Squad policy isn't in effect yet as the manufacturer is still covering the phone and the Protection Plan terms don't provide any manufacturer defect coverage within the original warranty period. The policy really doesn't leave any grey area, it is very specific and clear on this.

What is provided in the store is generally an overview of the plan. I don't think that anyone directly lied to you, the devil is in the details that they left out or neglected to mention and inferences that were made based on that lack of information presented.

You are going to have to get the manufacturer to replace/repair the phone. Which I believe they have offered to do. They are the only ones who may be inclined to provide some extra special customer satisfaction to the problem. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to cross ship you a phone with a credit card hold if you asked nicely to the manager.

C(-)ris

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2014 12:06AM by C(-)ris.
Date: November 14, 2014 01:22AM
Or you could wait until the Samsung warranty expires and the extended warranty kicks in. Based on the language presented so far, I don't see that you would incur the $150 fee under those circumstances.

My gut feeling, however, is that this course of action is riskier than having the phone replaced by Samsung now under the manufacturer's warranty.

It is what it is.
Date: November 14, 2014 01:56AM
I really hate to say this, but this situation is making me sick.

It looks as if my reflux disease will require another surgery. I had the old barium esophogram this morning and I'm due for another endoscopy/Bravo on the December 4th.

The stress over this phone issue isn't helping. sad smiley

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Date: November 14, 2014 05:58AM
does Samsung have any retails locations with "genius bar"? probably not, or at least not as many as Apple stores. But if they did have such retails stores, you could go there and get a replacment.
Date: November 14, 2014 06:44AM
GeneL

It looks as if my reflux disease will require another surgery. I had the old barium esophogram this morning and I'm due for another endoscopy/Bravo on the December 4th.

My guess is that you are allowing yourself to get worked up about this. Forget it. It's a minor problem, a small inconvenience, and nothing to worry about. You have a clear course of action that will solve the problem: send the phone to Samsung. Call them and get an RMA. And just be glad you're not living in Iraq or Ukraine or some other place with real problems.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: iaJim
Date: November 14, 2014 06:58AM
What mrlynn said.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: November 14, 2014 07:41AM
Take your story to the local newspaper or TV station.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 14, 2014 08:37AM
modelamac
Take your story to the local newspaper or TV station.

That'll make him sicker I think. He just needs to get this phone swapped out asap. I think some of the stress may be coming from the potential of being without a phone.
Posted by: DRR
Date: November 14, 2014 08:42AM
To be perfectly honest the problem you are describing sounds much more like a network problem than a phone (hardware) problem.

GeneL
The phone was replaced once, shortly after I purchased it because of problems making calls. At that time I was given another brand new phone.

As time has passed, I've had more and more problems making calls. I've taken the phone in to both Verizon and BestBuy, but nothing was done that fixed the problem. Resets, replacing the sim card, nothing has helped.

In Dana Point, near my home I have had four bars of signal strength showing on the phone and when I attempt to make a call I see a message on the screen saying "no mobile network available."

That all points to a Verizon network problem, not a physical problem with the phone.

1) Two brand new phones exhibit the same problem making calls from the same location (home)
2) The problem degrades over time. Is it more likely this is a network variance, or somehow the antenna in the phone is disintegrating or something?
3) Resetting the hardware doesn't work (because it's not a hardware problem). Replacing the SIM does not work (again, because it's not a problem on the SIM, it's a network problem)
4) Phone reports signal but "no mobile network available."

Given these four things what makes you think this is a hardware problem at all?? Go after Verizon for crap coverage in their area. They're the culprits.
Posted by: billb
Date: November 14, 2014 09:00AM
GeneL

Probably not the best time to be trying to solve a problem outside of one's expertise.
Send the phone to Samsung and enjoy being off the grid for a while ?

Find some xanax ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 14, 2014 09:18AM
Absolutely agree... let Samsung and Verizon duke it out. Make it Samsung's problem. They'll take care of it faster than you can bend an iPhone 6.. smiley-shocked003
Date: November 14, 2014 09:42AM
DRR
To be perfectly honest the problem you are describing sounds much more like a network problem than a phone (hardware) problem.

GeneL

That all points to a Verizon network problem, not a physical problem with the phone.

1) Two brand new phones exhibit the same problem making calls from the same location (home)
2) The problem degrades over time. Is it more likely this is a network variance, or somehow the antenna in the phone is disintegrating or something?
3) Resetting the hardware doesn't work (because it's not a hardware problem). Replacing the SIM does not work (again, because it's not a problem on the SIM, it's a network problem)
4) Phone reports signal but "no mobile network available."

Given these four things what makes you think this is a hardware problem at all?? Go after Verizon for crap coverage in their area. They're the culprits.

I was thinking this same thing, but didn't want to go down that road...at least not until another replacement phone didn't work.

C(-)ris
Posted by: DavidS
Date: November 14, 2014 10:07AM
Interesting discussion. Whenever I've bought or have been pressured into buying an extended warranty, I am told that it is recommended because it fully replaces the manufacturer's warranty during their 90-365 day coverage and will make it easier for me, should I have a problem. I'm told that I will deal with the retailer and get immediate satisfaction, which is their main selling point. This has been the case whether or not it is from Best Buy, Home Depot, or Lowes. Typically, the only times I've needed to invoke this coverage is after the manufacturer's warranty has expired, so that is my only experience.

It seems that this is what GeneL was told as well, but now that he needs that type of service, it is not what the fine print says.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2014 10:08AM by DavidS.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: November 14, 2014 10:14AM
So a sales drone lied to get someone to buy something??? I'm shocked!!!!

Posted by: decay
Date: November 14, 2014 10:23AM
If your Macbook needs depot repair, you ship it off and get it back in a few days. Apple doesn't provide a loaner. People do without their Macs when they go in for repair.

---
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: November 14, 2014 10:30AM
decay
If your Macbook needs depot repair, you ship it off and get it back in a few days. Apple doesn't provide a loaner. People do without their Macs when they go in for repair.

Unless you're Kate. Then you make do with one of your multitudes of other Apple devices.

Date: November 14, 2014 11:05AM
decay

iPhones are swapped out on the spot most of the time. Very very rare that someone would go without an iPhone for a repair. BUT. That is Apple. You cannot expect that level of service from Geek Squad/Samsung/Bestbuy.

I think that is really the root of the problem. Gene is thinking that he purchased/is entitled to the same level of service that Apple provides when you buy an iPhone with Applecare and go into a retail store, and that is just not the case.

DavidS
Interesting discussion. Whenever I've bought or have been pressured into buying an extended warranty, I am told that it is recommended because it fully replaces the manufacturer's warranty during their 90-365 day coverage and will make it easier for me, should I have a problem. I'm told that I will deal with the retailer and get immediate satisfaction, which is their main selling point. This has been the case whether or not it is from Best Buy, Home Depot, or Lowes. Typically, the only times I've needed to invoke this coverage is after the manufacturer's warranty has expired, so that is my only experience.

It seems that this is what GeneL was told as well, but now that he needs that type of service, it is not what the fine print says.

I really doubt anyone ever said "immediate statisfaction". You, and Gene, can deal directly with the reseller if you chose. In his case, Best Buy will certainly take care of the repair for him and send the phone to the repair depot to get it fixed.

Same as if you purchased service plan on a stove from Lowes and it breaks. They aren't going to rush out a new stove from their store and install it in your kitchen that day. They are going to send out a factory certified repair man and he will come out and diagnose, fix it, order parts, whatever he needs to do. But the only thing you saved was having to deal with the manufacture directly. And I'm not entirely sure that is even a good thing sometimes.

C(-)ris
Posted by: DavidS
Date: November 14, 2014 11:09AM
C(-)ris
decay

iPhones are swapped out on the spot most of the time. Very very rare that someone would go without an iPhone for a repair. BUT. That is Apple. You cannot expect that level of service from Geek Squad/Samsung/Bestbuy.

I think that is really the root of the problem. Gene is thinking that he purchased/is entitled to the same level of service that Apple provides when you buy an iPhone with Applecare and go into a retail store, and that is just not the case.

DavidS

I really doubt anyone ever said "immediate statisfaction". You, and Gene, can deal directly with the reseller if you chose. In his case, Best Buy will certainly take care of the repair for him and send the phone to the repair depot to get it fixed.

Same as if you purchased service plan on a stove from Lowes and it breaks. They aren't going to rush out a new stove from their store and install it in your kitchen that day. They are going to send out a factory certified repair man and he will come out and diagnose, fix it, order parts, whatever he needs to do. But the only thing you saved was having to deal with the manufacture directly. And I'm not entirely sure that is even a good thing sometimes.

When I said "immediate satisfaction" I did not mean that they would just swap out the phone with a new one (ala what the Apple Store/Genius Bar typically does). It may require sending it away or keeping it in-house to repair, but the $149 charge they are insisting on would not apply either if it was determined to be a defect that did not result from an accident or abuse of the device.
Date: November 14, 2014 11:19AM
The only reason the $149 charge came up at all was because someone at Best Buy was trying to get creative to try and help Gene. The only way their service plan comes into play in the first year is loss/theft/accidental damage and those senarious all require the $149 fee.

This really isn't a difficult situation. Everything is pretty clear on who is responsible and what needs to be done next. Drop the phone off with Best Buy and they will forward it on to a factory authorized repair depot or ship it to Samsung. Then eagerly await the return of your new phone. OR, essentially smash your phone with a hammer and pay the $149 plus advance exchange hold and have one in a few days.

C(-)ris
Date: November 14, 2014 11:35AM
C(-)ris
The only reason the $149 charge came up at all was because someone at Best Buy was trying to get creative to try and help Gene. The only way their service plan comes into play in the first year is loss/theft/accidental damage and those senarious all require the $149 fee.

This really isn't a difficult situation. Everything is pretty clear on who is responsible and what needs to be done next. Drop the phone off with Best Buy and they will forward it on to a factory authorized repair depot or ship it to Samsung. Then eagerly await the return of your new phone. OR, essentially smash your phone with a hammer and pay the $149 plus advance exchange hold and have one in a few days.

This is the only reasonable thing to do. The former, not the latter. And he could probably snatch up a super cheap temporary phone somehow. I saw this on Craigslist in Long Beach: [losangeles.craigslist.org] I'm not familiar with Verizon stuff though.

Verizon Samsung knack flip phone - $30
Posted by: Z
Date: November 14, 2014 11:39AM
... you say you've had it eight months. A quick websearch shows the warranty to be for 12 months (granted did not delve into samsung website to verify) - but if so

Lesson learned: Do not go with BB for warranty service - go with square trade (or other as appropriate) for extended warranty service.
Posted by: decay
Date: November 14, 2014 12:46PM
And even Square Trade isn't going to overnight you a new phone.

---
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 14, 2014 02:24PM
Call one of the volunteers at Clark Howard at 404-892-8227. They have a list of agencies and resources they'll give you to help. You might call more than once since the volunteers have a wide range of expertise. The right one may know some things the others don't. If they say no one is available right now, call back later. I think they may do that instead of putting you on hold.
Date: November 14, 2014 02:26PM
Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I'm afraid that this situation is overwhelming me.

When I purchased the phone, it was a major investment for me, because I wanted to keep my unlimited data plan. With the purchase of the extended warranty I figured that my investment was safe if anything was wrong with the phone.

At the time I purchased the phone I had a close relationship with one of the Best Buy managers. Turns out he has left the company and now I'm high and dry.

My frustration has been driven by the consistent issues that I've experienced, which has made me think that my phone is a lemon. Even at home, with a Samsung network extender I don't see very strong signal strength. I know that Verizon doesn't have strong coverage right where I live, but as I said, not far from my home and in a Verizon store I had four bars of signal strength and the phone couldn't find the network. That seems like a hardware problem to me.

At this point I'm stuck. Retired, living on social security with limited income, I needed this to be simple. It isn't and it has really got me down.

As I said , thanks for sharing your thinking. I'm just depressed.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Date: November 14, 2014 02:54PM
Gene, keep your head up! Just give Samsung a call and see about expediting the process and then mail the phone off to them. I saw a few people comment that their repairs were done in a week or so.

Also, Samsung lists these people as authorized service centers in your general area. You could attempt to contact them and see what they can do for you.

CVE Service, Inc.
3150 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 206, Los Angeles, CA 90010-1305
213-637-0191
42.2 miles
Service Offered:

In-warranty repairs while you wait
Out-of-warranty service & repair, such as cracked LCD screens (additional costs will apply)
Software Updates
Software Recovery
Authentic Samsung Accessory Sales
Troubleshooting, Device Consultation, and Education

Service Hours:

Mon-Fri 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
Sat 11 a.m.–5 p.m.

C(-)ris
Date: November 14, 2014 03:06PM
Gene, try to calm down because your investment is "still" protected. Listen to C(-)ris. In the order that he suggested. This ain't worth getting sick over. You deserve satisfaction and you're going to get it.
Date: November 14, 2014 03:44PM
C(-)ris, thanks for taking the time to post.

My disappointment with the "repair" solution is that without a clearly identified issue there's no way that the phone will be "fixed." If they can't reproduce the problem they will just check it out. If they don't find the problem they'll return it to me "unfixed. "

Have you ever had an intermittent issue that defied a solution?

I'm not optimistic.

gl @ Dana Point, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2014 03:49PM by GeneL.
Date: November 14, 2014 09:09PM
Well, it might not be a problem with the phone itself. It could be a coverage or network issue. But the only way you are going to find out is to try different phones.

If you want to try and troubleshoot the network, try turning the 4G off completely on the phone and see if that improves the situation. I was reading that there were some issues with the newer Galaxy phones and handoffs between 3G and 4G in areas where reception is spotty.

Also, check and make sure you have the newest firmware/andriod updates and carrier settings on the phone.

C(-)ris
Date: November 14, 2014 09:53PM
C(-)ris
Well, it might not be a problem with the phone itself. It could be a coverage or network issue. But the only way you are going to find out is to try different phones.

If you want to try and troubleshoot the network, try turning the 4G off completely on the phone and see if that improves the situation. I was reading that there were some issues with the newer Galaxy phones and handoffs between 3G and 4G in areas where reception is spotty.

Also, check and make sure you have the newest firmware/andriod updates and carrier settings on the phone.

That's an interesting thought. No one else has mentioned that issue or tested for it.

AFAIK, both the firmware and OS are up to date.

I really loved this phone until I started having all these connection issues.

Now, I'm out of love and I want a divorce!

I'm sure you know how it feels to lose trust in something or someone. If you have a choice, you'd rather move on to something new.

It doesn't look like I'll have that option.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 78
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020