Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How many drink per week do you have?
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 23, 2014 06:57PM
Poll
See thread below, apparently over 15 drink per week and you are a "heavy drinker"
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
102 votes were received.
0 41

40%
1-2 13

13%
2-5 14

14%
5-10 16

16%
10-15 9

9%
15-21 5

5%
21-28 1

1%
28 or more 3

2%

Cheers!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How many drink per week do you have?
Posted by: Golfer
Date: November 23, 2014 07:04PM
Big old goose egg: 0. I think maybe I've had 3 beers in the last 20 or so years. Not sure if i'm even from the first 25 though popcorn smiley
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 23, 2014 07:05PM
Hookers and booze, and I can't afford either.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: billb
Date: November 23, 2014 07:09PM
zero

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: November 23, 2014 07:12PM
I hardly ever drank.

Seriously, two or three years between drinks at times.

Started my new job this week. I've had a cocktail after work for the last four nights straight.

I'm working and thinking of how long until I get off and get home to have a drink.

I'm also thinking-this can't be healthy.

I'm also thinking this is why this will probably just be winter employment and I'll be back to the concession business in a few months. I don't think I'm predisposed towards alcoholism, but damned if I need to find out I'm wrong at this age.
Posted by: hal
Date: November 23, 2014 07:17PM
I voted 1-2 because there was no 0-1 selection. I'll have 2-3 drinks in a sitting 6 or 7 times a year or so. Sometimes a single glass of wine/beer with dinner, but I'd say that I'd avg about 1-2 drinks/month.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 23, 2014 07:22PM

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 23, 2014 07:24PM
There needs to be a 0 to 1 option.

Last night I was at a buddy's birthday party and had four beers. During the four weeks prior to that, I had zilch to drink. Over the course of a year, I probably average about one drink a week.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2014 07:26PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: November 23, 2014 07:25PM
I indicated "0" although it is actually one or maybe two drinks per month, usually a small glass of Bailey's over ice or a glass of wine. I have a couple of six packs of Shiner Texas Special (the Texas National Beer) in the garage that have been there for 12 or so years. Unfortunately it probably does not get better with age.

One of the reasons I do not drink much is that my mother, now 97 and as feisty as ever, raised such a ruckus when my dad had a few beers that I waited to drink anything until I was away at university.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: November 23, 2014 07:35PM
How much do YOU drink, space-time?

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 23, 2014 07:38PM
PizzaGod
I'm working and thinking of how long until I get off and get home to have a drink.

I'm also thinking-this can't be healthy.

I was doing that and cut down when I read a similar article that implied I was drinking too much.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 23, 2014 07:42PM
Not much when I'm trying to lose weight.

Maybe 1-2 bourbons on Fri/Sat or some wine with dinner. Then dry for the week to reduce the calorie intake.

Drank a lot of wine when I was living in France. At least 1-2 glasses a day.
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 23, 2014 07:43PM
Let's see, how often do I have dinner with my mother-in-law?
Now, I get a boatload of relatives this week, so the number will be skewed, to the upside, for sure.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: November 23, 2014 07:44PM
0 here.

I DO occasionally have a beer, but in the past few years I've toned way down. I did have 2 beers back in September when my buds came up to ride quads for a few days, probably the first two I've had in quite some time.

My knees were on fire at the time (arthritis) and after riding I hurt so bad I welcomed some brew ha ha's. Anything to relieve the pain. Heck, I even took a vicodin offered by my one friend, which I hardly ever do. Great combo, eh? eye twitch smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: November 23, 2014 07:45PM
Uncle Wig
How much do YOU drink, space-time?

if you read the other thread, you find the answer:

while I do not have 5 drink in one sitting, it is quite common in Europe to have 1-2 glasses of wine every day. in fact it is considered quite normal. No one that I know had health issues from 2 drinks per day. People with drink related health issues seem to drink much, much more than that. so if you have 2 drinks per evening and indulge in a 3rd drink on Friday or Saturday, then you are a heavy drinker according to the above article. and for ladies it is even easier to meet this standard. LOL.

I should clarify that this is about wine. Not sure what would happen if you drink Vodka/Palinka/Whiskey in the same quantity. YMMV.
Date: November 23, 2014 07:47PM
Lux Interior
Drank a lot of wine when I was living in France. At least 1-2 glasses a day.

that is in line with what I mentioned in the other thread.
Posted by: Shakes
Date: November 23, 2014 07:51PM
2-3 craft beers a week on average smileys with beer

Shakes
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 23, 2014 08:04PM
Usually, zero... But this week I had two drinks with friends... And reaffirmed that I'm a lightweight drinker.
Might be the third time this year i've had anything to drink?

But, yes, that article's assertion is ridiculous... Two drinks a day is not an "alcoholic".

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: D. Lawson
Date: November 23, 2014 08:12PM
Shakes

Same here. I personally count a bomber as 2, but others may not. winking smiley
Posted by: Carm
Date: November 23, 2014 08:25PM
2-5 at a social event. So 2-5 a month.
Posted by: Shakes
Date: November 23, 2014 08:26PM
D. Lawson
Shakes

Same here. I personally count a bomber as 2, but others may not. winking smiley

I count the 22oz bombers as one which is what I usually drink.

Shakes
Posted by: DP
Date: November 23, 2014 08:33PM
Now, I get a boatload of relatives this week, so the number will be skewed, to the upside, for sure.

Because you enjoy it, or to make it bearable? devil smiley
Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 23, 2014 09:19PM
It's OK not to drink. While I used to appreciate fine single malt scotch and microbrewery beer, my neurologists told me "no mas" about twenty-some years ago. Until they say "no mas" to chocolate, no problemo. I do borrow an occasional sip from Mrs. Buzz's beers, maybe 2X-3X/yr to remind me of what I'm missing, so cumulatively, it takes about one and half to two years to consume the equivalent of one whole beer.
==

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: clay
Date: November 23, 2014 09:21PM
less than 1 beer a day...I voted in the 2-5/week category above. I brew most of my own beer, so I drink more than I did before I started brewing. But it has never been an issue for me at all, other than the "extra" calories that I ingest as a result, which haven't really caught up with me yet.

I'm surprised by the % of folks reporting in that are generally non-drinkers. I wonder how the results of this poll compare with the general populace?
Posted by: kanesa
Date: November 23, 2014 09:26PM
I put 0. I might have 2 drinks/month. I tell people I did all my heavy drinking in my 20's. Rarely ever drink at home and with drunk driving laws the way they are, I don't drink out much either.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: November 23, 2014 09:44PM
I usually have a beer every evening. So sue me. drink smiley

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 23, 2014 09:47PM
clay
I'm surprised by the % of folks reporting in that are generally non-drinkers. I wonder how the results of this poll compare with the general populace?

Perhaps the heavy drinkers don't want to comment.

I'm an ex-heavy drinker. The last few years I don't seem to have very much interest in going to bars (of which there are over 75 in my neighborhood), and I rarely ever drink at home, so my drinking has fallen way way down -- but not through any intent on my part, it just happened. When I do go out I can't drink very much, at least not compared to before. I guess it's called getting old.

Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: November 23, 2014 10:05PM
Zero.

Motorcycles and alcohol don't mix, and bikes are infinitely more important to me than booze.

Posted by: Black
Date: November 23, 2014 10:05PM
Thanks for the reminder-- I opened a bottle of red wine about 2 weeks ago and kind of lost interest in it.... will see if it's still drinkable.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: November 23, 2014 10:08PM
$tevie
clay

I'm an ex-heavy drinker. The last few years I don't seem to have very much interest in going to bars (of which there are over 75 in my neighborhood), and I rarely ever drink at home, so my drinking has fallen way way down -- but not through any intent on my part, it just happened. When I do go out I can't drink very much, at least not compared to before. I guess it's called getting old.

Yeah, I really can't handle more than three over an evening, now. Years past, it used to be a lot more.

/Mr Lynn
Date: November 23, 2014 10:24PM
mrlynn
$tevie
clay

Yeah, I really can't handle more than three over an evening, now. Years past, it used to be a lot more.

/Mr Lynn

I'm usually good for a hair over two beers....at which time I'm just too full, as if I'd eaten a big stack of pancakes. I feel like I'm a different species from the folks who it just seems to pass through.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: November 23, 2014 10:33PM
0. last drink was 1984 if memory serves me correctly.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 23, 2014 10:38PM
Why is zero an option for the poll?

This is a serious question.
Date: November 23, 2014 10:46PM
Do you guys realize this could affect the forum's ability to purchase a group health insurance plan?

Posted by: rgG
Date: November 23, 2014 10:48PM
DP

What do you think?
My ex brother-in-law will be there, along with his ex wife, my sister-in-law, now what could go wrong with that?
I mean, it went so well last year, with a near brawl breaking out between him and my mother-in-law. Husband is our designated driver, so why should I hold back.

Also, there isn't enough Burbon in Kentucky to make it bearable, but maybe I can get to the, "This sure is fun to watch," stage, at some point. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Don C
Date: November 23, 2014 11:03PM
The bourbon makers in Kentucky would LOVE to make enough for you! Bourbon is the hot new tourist attraction these days with several distilleries and tasting rooms opening in downtown Louisville this year adding to the Bourbon Trail which links several breweries together in central Kentucky.

[kybourbontrail.com]
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 23, 2014 11:13PM
I put down 0, because over the course of a year I might drink the equivalent of one or two six packs. I do enjoy having the occasional beer, glass of wine or mixed drink, but there are other things I enjoy doing even more.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: November 23, 2014 11:39PM
freeradical

Because some people don't drink and if you discount the number of people who don't drink, it might skew the results?

Put me down for zero.
Posted by: riley5108
Date: November 24, 2014 07:16AM
Use to think I needed 2 or 3 tall scotch and waters after work to unwind. After I retired found that wasn't needed any longer so just quit. No real reason for quitting just quit. So according to the poll 2 or 3 a day back then would have been considered a heavy drinker, with which I disagree.
Posted by: rz
Date: November 24, 2014 08:27AM
poll needs a 0 to 1 option.

I had a beer yesterday while watching football. Before that, it was probably 2 or 3 weeks ago that I had a beer. And before that, we had a neighborhood party where I think I had two drinks, maybe two months ago?

So, I can't say I drink 1-2 a week, but 0 would imply I don't drink at all.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 24, 2014 09:25AM
I'm up to perhaps 2/3 of a beer on the monthly dinner out with the guys from work. And on St. Paddy's day, my Irish ancestry obligates me to sip a finger or so of Tullamore Dew. Mrs. cbelt3 and I stopped drinking in our late 20's.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: November 24, 2014 10:31AM
N-OS X-tasy!
There needs to be a 0 to 1 option.

Last night I was at a buddy's birthday party and had four beers. During the four weeks prior to that, I had zilch to drink. Over the course of a year, I probably average about one drink a week.

Select the second option as that would be averaging 1 a week ;)

Paul F.
But, yes, that article's assertion is ridiculous... Two drinks a day is not an "alcoholic".

Uh, it's not an "assertion" by that article. That's the definition. [www.cdc.gov]
According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans,1 moderate alcohol consumption is defined as having up to 1 drink per day for women and up to 2 drinks per day for men. This definition is referring to the amount consumed on any single day and is not intended as an average over several days. The Dietary Guidelines also state that it is not recommended that anyone begin drinking or drink more frequently on the basis of potential health benefits because moderate alcohol intake also is associated with increased risk of breast cancer, violence, drowning, and injuries from falls and motor vehicle crashes.

[www.cdc.gov]
For men, heavy drinking is typically defined as consuming 15 drinks or more per week. For women, heavy drinking is typically defined as consuming 8 drinks or more per week.

Also keep in mind the symptoms of alcoholism ;)
[www.mayoclinic.org]
- Denying that you have a problem is usually part of alcoholism and other types of excessive drinking.
- Are you annoyed when other people comment on or criticize your drinking habits?
- Make a ritual of having drinks at certain times and become annoyed when this ritual is disturbed or questioned

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: DP
Date: November 24, 2014 10:38AM
rgG
DP

What do you think?
My ex brother-in-law will be there, along with his ex wife, my sister-in-law, now what could go wrong with that?
I mean, it went so well last year, with a near brawl breaking out between him and my mother-in-law. Husband is our designated driver, so why should I hold back.

Also, there isn't enough Burbon in Kentucky to make it bearable, but maybe I can get to the, "This sure is fun to watch," stage, at some point. grinning smiley

Now that you mention it, I seem to remember that interesting holiday last year. I say, go for it! And be sure to give us a report!
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: November 24, 2014 12:02PM
40 years continuous sobriety on Dec. 5, 2014

I am also 80 years old

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2014 12:03PM by Go To Top.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 24, 2014 01:20PM
M A V I C

Also keep in mind the symptoms of alcoholism ;)
[www.mayoclinic.org]
- Denying that you have a problem is usually part of alcoholism and other types of excessive drinking.

Which is interpreted by some people as; "If you drink at all and deny you have a problem, then you are an alcoholic."

Which leaves the only other option as; "You have a problem."

So, if you drink, you are an alcoholic, QED.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 24, 2014 01:30PM
silvarios
freeradical

Because some people don't drink and if you discount the number of people who don't drink, it might skew the results?

Put me down for zero.

This really shouldn't be a poll for the self righteous.

It should be a poll asking those who drink how much they drink.
Date: November 24, 2014 01:36PM
freeradical
silvarios
freeradical

Put me down for zero.

This really shouldn't be a poll for the self righteous.

It should be a poll asking those who drink how much they drink.

If you don't like this poll, start your own poll - this poll simply asks how many of the general population? Just because some don't drink, it doesn't mean that they are self-righteous... say... do you have a problem?

:-)

Frankly, I found the results very interesting. I had no idea there were so many non-drinkers.
Posted by: Z
Date: November 24, 2014 01:48PM
I enjoy some beer and liquor now and then. Lets say 5-10 a week. One thing I learned in engineering undergrad - the beer helps flush out the dead braincells so that you can get smarter! ;) Or at least it keeps the liver strong.
Posted by: numbered
Date: November 24, 2014 01:50PM
Here is a chart from WaPo on adult drinking by week by decile.

"30 percent of American adults don't drink at all. Another 30 percent consume, on average, less than one drink per week.

On the other hand, the top 10 percent of American adults-24 million of them-consume an average of 74 drinks per week, or a little more than 10 drinks per day."

Looks like we are missing the 80th and 90th percentile group here in our show...
Date: November 24, 2014 02:08PM
Wow! essentially, more than 10% are rip-roaring drunks... and 30% don't drink at all?? I had no idea...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020