advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ugh, I dropped my iPad
Posted by: mstudio
Date: November 26, 2014 06:42PM
iPad2, what, three and a half years old? I always take such good care of my stuff so am really bummed about this. I use it all of the time so will definitely miss it if I don't replace. The smart cover magnets disconnected from the body and I couldn't catch it in time, my fault.
The metal is bent a little and the glass cracked. It still works but unusable with the glass as is. I can have the glass replaced for around 100 bucks. People are actually paying a few hundred $$ on eBay for broken iPad2s. $629 at BestBuy for an Air2 with the same configuration as mine. I think the Mini might be too small, I really like the size of mine.
Don't know what to do, really wasn't planing on this expense right now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ugh, I dropped my iPad
Posted by: kd
Date: November 26, 2014 06:51PM
Bummer. I know that feeling: put my iPad down on a piano bench and the "smart" cover basically launched it off. It hit perfectly on the top left corner, cracking the glass. Luckily for me, the cracks were confined to the bezel area. A piece of black electrical tape over that, and it's still working fine two years later.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 26, 2014 07:02PM
Sorry!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 26, 2014 07:36PM
Bummer. Spend the hundred.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: November 26, 2014 07:38PM
kd
Luckily for me, the cracks were confined to the bezel area. A piece of black electrical tape over that, and it's still working fine two years later.

What a BRILLIANT idea! My crack is a little outside of the bezel but your solution may work. Thank you!
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: November 26, 2014 07:56PM
If you do want to replace it, now is certainly a good time to pick up a new one at a discount. The iPad deals have been fast and furious over the past few days.

Even the Air 1, which can be had starting at about $200, would be a significant upgrade.
Posted by: p8712
Date: November 26, 2014 07:58PM
Bimwad
Even the Air 1, which can be had starting at about $200, would be a significant upgrade.

Um, who has the air 1 for $200? Thats outstanding.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: November 26, 2014 08:15PM
Prices aren't too bad at the Apple Store for refurbished iPad Airs:

Refurbished iPad Air Wi-Fi 32GB - Space Gray
Originally released October 2013
$389.00

Refurbished iPad Air Wi-Fi 128GB - Space Gray
$529.00

richorlin
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: November 26, 2014 08:27PM
p8712
Bimwad

It was a coupon + price match deal at Staples. A RYF, unfortunately, but the bar has been set.

Otherwise, the going rate is about 300 bones, which is still good, considering how little Apple products are usually discounted. The tablet market has matured faster than anticipated.
Posted by: p8712
Date: November 26, 2014 09:12PM
Bimwad
p8712
Bimwad

It was a coupon + price match deal at Staples. A RYF, unfortunately, but the bar has been set.

Otherwise, the going rate is about 300 bones, which is still good, considering how little Apple products are usually discounted. The tablet market has matured faster than anticipated.

Thank you, I though $200 seemed a little too-good-to-be-true. If I could find a good condition ipad 3/4 for that price, I'd be happy.
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 26, 2014 09:18PM
richorlin
Prices aren't too bad at the Apple Store for refurbished iPad Airs:

Refurbished iPad Air Wi-Fi 32GB - Space Gray
$389.00

$299 tomorrow brand new (if you can stand the crowds)

That $300 price is for a 2013 16 GB Air, FWIW. Sounds like you have cellular? So $429.

FWIW, the mini shows the same amount of data on screen, its just smaller pixels. So you don't actually lose anything.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: November 26, 2014 10:56PM
Mine now is a 64gig/cellular version. I don't want to go smaller that 64 and I need the cellular capability.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: November 26, 2014 11:45PM
mstudio
iPad2, what, three and a half years old? I always take such good care of my stuff so am really bummed about this. I use it all of the time so will definitely miss it if I don't replace. The smart cover magnets disconnected from the body and I couldn't catch it in time, my fault.
The metal is bent a little and the glass cracked. It still works but unusable with the glass as is. I can have the glass replaced for around 100 bucks. People are actually paying a few hundred $$ on eBay for broken iPad2s. $629 at BestBuy for an Air2 with the same configuration as mine. I think the Mini might be too small, I really like the size of mine.
Don't know what to do, really wasn't planing on this expense right now.

Who pays a few hundred ($300/$400) for a broken iPad 2? You can get a retina mini for less. Seems crazy.
Date: November 27, 2014 07:25AM
silvarios

Who pays a few hundred ($300/$400) for a broken iPad 2? You can get a retina mini for less. Seems crazy.

Well, I said a few hundred, so 200 or so. Yes, crazy people. Unless it's because mine is a 64/cellular model.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 27, 2014 07:26AM
mstudio
Mine now is a 64gig/cellular version. I don't want to go smaller that 64 and I need the cellular capability.

Id go ahead and just get the glass fixed then. Dropsies suck.
Date: November 27, 2014 07:29AM
mstudio
silvarios

Well, I said a few hundred, so 200 or so. Yes, crazy people. Unless it's because mine is a 64/cellular model.

I believe we refer to "2" as a couple. smiling smiley
Date: November 27, 2014 09:13AM
silvarios

Haha, I actually knew you would say that...semantics. You must give me a break...I just broke my iPad.
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: November 27, 2014 11:30AM
Forget about fixing it. Use it as a cutting board today.

[www.youtube.com]

Jeff
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: November 27, 2014 04:18PM
FYI: I don't remember where I read it but I read of someone putting a screen protector on their cracked iPad screen to make it "safe" to use again.
Date: November 27, 2014 06:25PM
mstudio
silvarios

Haha, I actually knew you would say that...semantics. You must give me a break...I just broke my iPad.

Poke, poke. smiling smiley

No, seriously, that really does stink. My condolences. One of the reasons I got rid of my iPad 3 was knowing how costly it is to fix/replace once broken. My sub $100 Nook HD or free in contest 32GB Nexus 7 2012? Not quite as concerned.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020